Thrifty Alternatives ..Building Foam Campers

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Postby eaglesdare » Fri Oct 28, 2011 6:56 am

:thinking: maybe anyone wanting to become a foamling needs to read this entire thread. sort of like an initiation to join. :lol:
Louella
May the foam be with you.
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:38 am

A “rite of passage “ so to speak ... I can see that !!! :thinking:
It won’t take much reading to comprehend that what we’ve all done here is make a “hard tentâ€
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby pete42 » Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:06 am

I have learned over the years something not known is simple when known.
The first time cutting foam for my airplane a vei-eze was nerve wracking second piece less until finally easy and worry free.
I would think someone starting a foamie would be the same way, one big difference would be if something fails on a foamie you most likely won't fall out of the sky.

pete

ps:
I'll bet if something happens to a foamie on the road repairs are only a big-box store away, try that with a factory built.
pete42
Super Lifetime Member

Postby GPW » Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:25 am

Pete, that is most certainly the thought that’s kept me from putting wings on my trailer ... :o
I’ve seen a few Foamie homebuilts being made, difference is you must do your absolute BEST work on those as your A$$ depends on it ... :shock: :thumbsup: (LOVE those Rutan designs !!)

Most I could manage now is falling off the couch after consuming the STBU :lol:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby swampjeep » Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:54 pm

eaglesdare wrote::thinking: maybe anyone wanting to become a foamling needs to read this entire thread. sort of like an initiation to join. :lol:

exactly LOL
swampjeep
Teardrop Master

Postby RogHodge » Fri Oct 28, 2011 6:15 pm

I wish I would have joined earlier- my initiation fee would have been a lot less!

For what it’s worth if you contact Dow or Owens-Corning directly they can help you find distributors and possibly retail outlets in your area- for example;
I spoke with Kate at “blue linksâ€
For those who would like to have a look I have a build journal and covet your feedback.
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=33547
RogHodge
Teardrop Master

Postby GPW » Sat Oct 29, 2011 6:23 am

Rog , since I possess neither charm or good looks , I haven’t had had the same success as you ... :oops: Loews and HF were just uncooperative ... :(
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby eaglesdare » Sat Oct 29, 2011 7:42 am

GPW wrote: why heck, even Grandma (respectfully considered) could build a Foamie trailer with a serrated kitchen knife, and a pair of scissors ... True !!! 8) :lol: :lol: :lol:
R

hey i resemble that remark! :oops: and yes, it does work. but i found using a jig saw works much better. smoother edges. the serrated kitchen knife chops it up a bit (too much at times).
Louella
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Sat Oct 29, 2011 7:53 am

Eagle , no offense intended ... :roll: Just a example of how easy this stuff is to work with , compared to wood ... :o You proved that , Grandma :lol:

Over on the airplane forum I run at , found an interesting video , that may be helpful for some... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktKjbefo ... _embedded#! Just more of the same we Old foamlings already know or have experienced...
Is your new MM banner to be displayed like a flag , or just draped over the TD ? It is COOL !!!
8)

Ps. I used a regular old handsaw to cut mine (all straight cuts )... went through it like Butter ... :thumbsup:

Psps. I just figured out I’m old enough to be a Great Grandpa ... :shock:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby eaglesdare » Sat Oct 29, 2011 8:14 am

no offense taken.

i used a hand saw also after the kitchen knife. it was a fairly new one and yes it worked great. a little too great, as i cut my hand. :lol: but that was too much work for these grandma arms, they were sore after cutting out the profile.

a jigsaw is recommended for all foamlings out there! jigsaw foamlings, jigsaw.
Louella
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Sat Oct 29, 2011 8:20 am

Those electric turkey carving knives work in a pinch if you don’t have a jigsaw, It’s that time of year too ... Multitasking ... carve the turkey , clean the fish , cut Foamie trailers out ... 8) But even a cheapo jigsaw works just Fine on Foam ... :thumbsup:
Nothing Exotic about building a Foamie , hardest part is finding the darn Foam ... :o
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby bonnie » Sat Oct 29, 2011 8:36 am

Cool video. I think I'll stick with the knife/skill saw method. Though it does bring up a question, GPW, you made/had sanding blocks to help with the rounding. Could you repost those pictures somewhere and explain how you made them? I want to round off the edges of the my build. Seems the coverings would be better that way.

Thanks!

Bonnie
Grandma to one, hoping for many more.
Remember, the turtle won. :)
bonnie
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Sat Oct 29, 2011 8:55 am

Bonnie , nothing special ... belt sander with 36 grit belt , old coarse wood rasp , and a cheap sanding block, 80 grit , palm sander ...
Here’s what I started with ... Image
Roughed out with the belt sander Image
Finished sanding overall with a cheap electric palm sander with 80grit ... Image

One thing that I would have found Handy would be a long board with a sanding belt glued flat to it , just an extra long sanding block ...

:thumbsup:
Gotta’ be Careful if you use a belt Sander , it Eats foam very quickly , too quickly ... light pressure and keep it moving seems to work best ... the wood rasp worked for the initial rounding , was much safer and predictable , but just a Lot of sweaty work ... it was a Hot summer so we wanted to get it done as quickly as possible ... belt sander ...
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Sat Oct 29, 2011 9:03 am

BTW, The sanding can make a real difference in the finished appearance... the Better you sand it , the smoother it will be ... My sanding wasn’t the best and I can see minor imperfections under the canvas telegraphed to the surface ... :oops: Just like a good paint job really , the prep is Everything !!!... :thumbsup:

Thinking back now , I could have gone to 220-320 grit and had a much Smoother surface ... :thinking: I will do that on the Next one ... :thumbsup:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby pete42 » Sat Oct 29, 2011 10:38 am

Has anyone tried using foam against foam as a sanding block?
I seem to remember when building my airplane we did something foam against foam.
I have lost so much memory I'm scarring myself.

Pete
pete42
Super Lifetime Member

PreviousNext

Return to Foamies