Planning my foamie

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Re: Planning my foamie

Postby be_a_jayhawk » Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:11 pm

Thanks I have done quite a few scale sketches on graph paper, but I have no room for a cardboard full scale mock up. Today I chopped up the bargain 1x4s to start the frame, but I had to stop to go to some activities my wife scheduled...hope to get the floor done this weekend and upload some pics before the Super Bowl.
be_a_jayhawk
Teardrop Master

Postby be_a_jayhawk » Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:31 pm

I was not real pleased with the 1/4 underlayment so I flipped it and put the more durable 7/16 osb on the bottom. I plan to water seal the bottom with the window flashing rolls. If anyone thinks that this is a mistake please let me know before it is too late.
be_a_jayhawk
Teardrop Master

Postby be_a_jayhawk » Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:32 pm

Also there are some tight spots in the floor framework. Considering it is below freezing and low humidity do I need to leave some room for some slight expansion?
be_a_jayhawk
Teardrop Master

Postby Mary C » Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:53 pm

hi, I would use "the Mix" the water proofing mix recipe above in the stickies, before doing anything and I am not sure if the window stuff will work to be honest, I painted mine with the "Henry" roof coating for trailers ( without aluminum), Some people use the "black tar gooey, stickie messy stuff. You might want to read up on it. GPW may chime in here, I think the Henry stuff is fine but after I got it at the check out counter It was a little expensive ( for me) but it is worth it. It is like very thick paint. and goes on easy with brush and at times with my hands.

Mary C. :lady:
Mary C
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby wagondude » Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:30 am

Remember that you live in a high humidity area with extreme temperature changes, sometimes in the same day. This could lead to condensation on the back side of the flashing (properly installed flashing always has a vapor barrier between it and the framing). On the bottom, I would skip the flashing and just seal the wood. I would think the flashing alone would do more harm than doing nothing.
Bill

TnTTT ORIGIONAL 200A LANTERN CLUB
wagondude
1000 Club
1000 Club

Previous

Return to Foamies