Thrifty Alternatives ..Building Foam Campers

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Postby eaglesdare » Sun Dec 25, 2011 8:56 am

good morning and merry christmas to you all!

hubby heard my wish for dutch oven and that is one of the things he got me! i am thrilled. i am excited about this.
Louella
May the foam be with you.
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby pete42 » Sun Dec 25, 2011 11:01 am

Kind of funny how our Christmas wants change as we get older.
as a kid I hated getting clothes I'm sure my parents liked the idea.
this year I'm almost 70 I ask for clothes and a slow-cooker, one that was bigger than the one I have
I used it yesterday with a big whole chicken potatoes, carrots etc. very tasty.
yes I opened presents early I'm headed out today to watch the Great grand nephews and nieces open theirs
pete42
Super Lifetime Member

Postby GPW » Sun Dec 25, 2011 11:10 am

Cool , cooking Dutch now ... 8) Ballast too !!!
I got more Winter shirts ... even though Winter lasts only two weeks here... :roll:

Pete, I am the slow cooker .... been cooking since yesterday ... :o
Last edited by GPW on Sun Dec 25, 2011 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby pete42 » Sun Dec 25, 2011 11:12 am

XXX doesn't that kind build sort of defeat the idea of the foamy?

I have seen fiberglass sail boats with bubbles most were caused by humidity during the layup
sometimes it would pop off the gel coat and sometimes just a bunch of small bubbles.
lot harder to fix than the foam and canvas.
I think most those who have built a foamy are true pioneers and I applaud them for taking the lead and sharing the good and bad with us.

Pete
pete42
Super Lifetime Member

Postby GPW » Sun Dec 25, 2011 11:54 am

I don’t know of why I didn’t think of this before .... Eagle , get the iron out ... you used a lot of Glue and the glue is thermoplastic ... maybe put a piece of plain cloth or kraft paper over it and iron away ... May be a real quick fix.... :thinking:

You may have to prick a tiny hole in the canvas to allow hot air to escape ...
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Tiredoldwhiteman » Sun Dec 25, 2011 2:42 pm

GPW wrote: the glue is thermoplastic ... maybe put a piece of plain cloth or kraft paper over it and iron away ...

That has my vote for the next step...

Often, the best way to solve a problem is to start with the most simple and direct idea working one's way up the difficulty ladder until the solution is found.

Whatever it is you do, make only one change at a time; don't change two or more things. If you only make one change, you'll know exactly the remedy to the problem.

Regardless, thanks for keeping us posted... Curious minds and all that jazz...
Tiredoldwhiteman
Gold Donating Member

Postby eaglesdare » Sun Dec 25, 2011 3:01 pm

oh now i like that idea! ok, but its still going to have to wait.
Louella
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby linuxmanxxx » Sun Dec 25, 2011 7:06 pm

Pete I view the foamy as many ideas wrapped together the most important being weight reduction and simplicity. Skinning it like I'm saying is still simple less wood framework to be built so you'd have the light but stronger and easier to finish out to look really good.

If someone wants to make theirs a sealed cabin that has security and looks, I'd recommend the doors I use on my campers from vintage technologies and just frame them in and still keep the foam. add some weight but you'd have a door that locks closes sealed and looks really good with a sliding window already built in. They aren't cheap but very much worth the money believe me.

Louella its christmas give us a present and go iron that front up. Just hang some mistletoe over it and hand hubby the iron it'll get done lol.
linuxmanxxx
500 Club

Postby GPW » Sun Dec 25, 2011 8:04 pm

Steve, Those doors would look Very Cool on a Foamie .... really dress it up a lot ... 8) 8) 8)

Good News !!!! Got my Foamie all DONE!!! Fait accompli !!! Ready to roll ... Bolted the cabin to the trailer today with help from a friend ... Ready for MVB and a real license plate .... :D ( and yes, the door opens too !!! )

And now , on to the Next Foamie ... :o :roll: :lol: They’re like Potato chips .... can’t have just one ... :o
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby NonProfit » Mon Dec 26, 2011 12:21 am

eaglesdare wrote:hubby heard my wish for dutch oven and that is one of the things he got me! i am thrilled. i am excited about this.

You're gonna love that thing...I've got my grandmother's and use it all year long...they're not just for camping.
NonProfit
Teardrop Builder

Postby eaglesdare » Mon Dec 26, 2011 7:09 am

steve, how much are your doors, how much do they weigh? and how big are they?
Louella
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby Tiredoldwhiteman » Mon Dec 26, 2011 11:24 am

GPW wrote:
[SNIP]

Good News !!!! Got my Foamie all DONE!!!

[SNIP]

Huzzah!

:applause:

Huzzah!

Huzzah!

"Foamstream" next?

Wayne
Tiredoldwhiteman
Gold Donating Member

Postby linuxmanxxx » Mon Dec 26, 2011 12:19 pm

eaglesdare wrote:steve, how much are your doors, how much do they weigh? and how big are they?
I'm checking on the weight but the height is 32" and width is 26" and they run around 450 a pair shipped to Texas. They have a 36" size but I haven't ever ordered any of them yet. They are set for 3/4" wall thickness so your door would be nicely recessed into the foam so it would look awesome on the inside. The guy is in Michigan so depends on how far you are from there on the ups shipping cost. They would require a frame to bolt over and a little bracing for strength in the wall but would be well worth it in security having a window and time saved over doing the self fabricated thing.

It took me 2 generations of self made storage doors to get them looking good but I didn't have to worry about weather and leaking with them like main doors so I have no desire to try and ever tackle that monster.

Another thing I'm considering might be a good topic of discussion is using dual sheets of 3/4" foam glued in a lapping style with like a 1 x 2 vertical runner staggered front and back for strength and still light using my 30NF contact cement to glue the foam layers together and GG for the wood to foam bonds and go 1 1'2 inch thick walls using readily available foam and cheap 1 x2s staying thrifty and light but massively stronger than just solid foam and avoid the problem of finding the 2" stuff which is nonexistent south of the mid USA.
linuxmanxxx
500 Club

Postby eaglesdare » Mon Dec 26, 2011 12:58 pm

gpw. i am glad you are finished! it seems like a very long road. i think you started talking about this back in august 10?

but seriously, now you HAVE to camp out in it, even in your yard. oh and don't forget those pics please. :D

steve, wow, those doors prices are out of my price range.
Louella
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby linuxmanxxx » Mon Dec 26, 2011 1:22 pm

Well after building a couple campers sometimes its not about the price you look at but the value of what it represents. You spend 30 hrs on doors and you don't like the end result and you don't have security it boils down to how much is your time worth as well as what valuables you might lock inside the camper while you are out camping. Sadly we don't live in a very safe honest world anymore. You dropped some money on your trailer to base all this on because you thought it had value. It's all perception but if you can't afford them I understand completely.

Another thing is if you add nice doors on down the road you wanna sell the foamy your selling price goes way up and the buyer doesn't need to know anything about what the camper cost you but what its worth for them to attach it and tow it away being the new proud owner. A little bling adds ching ching lol
linuxmanxxx
500 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Foamies