Thrifty Alternatives ..Building Foam Campers

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

RE: Large Thread

Postby mezmo » Sun Jan 15, 2012 3:51 am

I've been too busy with a now-ongoing home remodeling project and
hadn't had time to log in for the past 10 days or so, so I am now just
catching up.

I'd like to suggest that since the consensus [which I agree with] is to
let the Big Thread continue 'as is' , then the solution to finding various
types of information would be for the posters to double post the info -
that is: If you post something in the Big thread, and then realize it should
also be in a sticky type info thread, then go to the appropriate other thread -
e.g. ...tools,techniques... ...glues... and re-post it, or give a short explanation
and post the link to the Big Thread's page that has the info.

For example: Steve/linuxmanxxx 's 1/13/12 post on AQUA-GEM could be
re-posted in the first stickey: 'web sites w/ Foam info...' etc.

Cheers,
Norm/mezmo
If you have a house - you have a hobby.
mezmo
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby GPW » Sun Jan 15, 2012 7:37 am

Mel , I thought I mentioned this a Long time ago ... :o Primer is inexpensive ... and if you want you can get THICK primer like “latex concrete block fill “ ... which makes even concrete blocks smooth ( I used it on my house)... I have no idea what weight the canvas I used was , it wasn’t that heavy , but it was Linen canvas ... Much stronger than cotton ... and probably too expensive for trailer use , but I had a lot of it just sitting around .... so it got used ... I only used one coat of primer (Kilz -water based) , but several coats and a little block sanding in between would have made it smooth ... ;) Easy , inexpensive ... :thumbsup:

Norm , good idea but a daunting project ... :shock:
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby droid_ca » Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:36 am

This isn't a thread it's more of a Think Tank or a colaberation of minds working towards the same goal.....%00 pounds of beer in a little trailer :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
There is a world, just beyond now,
where reality runs a razor thin seam between fact and possibility;

Anywhere I roam where I lay my head is home....
“Fide Canem”
Please check out my build thread
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=52816
droid_ca
Donating Member

Postby Wolffarmer » Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:45 am

I was thinking that the people that post here could occasionally go back and just randomly look at what they have posted and delete the BS posts. Of course you can't delete the post but at least the content. That might help a tiny bit. Maybe like the bull throwing that is more than a month old.

Still have the same number of posts but at least there will be empty ones.

Randy
"these guys must be afraid of the dark"
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:51 am

Droid , the original idea was a way that anybody could use readily available materials , and without any special skills or tools , could assemble a usable and practical camping trailer that was not only well insulated ,but light and easy to tow , Rot resistant, and relatively inexpensive and easy to repair.and maintain .. It was only born of this discussion later on of the need for the camper to be smooth and shiny , and would also require ballast low on the frame to prevent blowing off tall bridges by 747’s passing by ... So the idea became to make it Good Ballast ... :beer: :thumbsup: Think Tank or kegger’ .... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Wolf , cool idea , but we’d be down to 3 or 4 pages ... :o
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:04 am

Wolf , Plot development!!! Just think of this as our daily little trailer Soap Opera... “ As the wheels turn “ .... :roll: Our little “programâ€
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby bonnie » Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:41 pm

Wait a minute. With the exception of GPW's little proof trailer, all the builds are being documented elsewhere. I read the entire thread!!!@! Wouldn't want to change it. Please don't delete. :cry: :cry:
Remember, the turtle won. :)
bonnie
Donating Member

Postby Wolffarmer » Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:55 pm

No, I am just saying to remove the extremely OT stuff, each one clean up after themselves.

Just to reduce the mass a bit.

Randy
"these guys must be afraid of the dark"
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:03 am

Wolf , I think we should leave this all to our most capable moderator to decide ... !!! :thumbsup:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby swampjeep » Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:54 am

I have a suggestion, but it would take a lot of work on a mod's side of things. Maybe make a copy of this big thread, (lock it) delete all the BS and Off Topic stuff, and maybe even move things to where they make more scense. Any talk about glue could also get copied over to the glue thread that is stickied, all covering talk to a coverings one, and so on. Even if it happened a little at a time, then do the same with any good build info that gets added to this big thread, copy it as it comes in to the proper build catogory in the stickies. I'm a mod on a dif site, using different software, so I'm not sure if all that is even possible with this site's software, and I know it is asking a lot, so if it never happens I understand why, and that is why I never brought it up before.
swampjeep
Teardrop Master

Postby eaglesdare » Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:05 am

wolf, we did try that in the begining, when we got our own forum.

so the solution as stated before: post in the appropriate place (subforum). we have lots of sticky's on different topics. there are many other threads also.
if you are talking about adhesives, we have a thread for that. we have a thread for foam, etc.

this thread is for anything, even the b.s. off topic. if there is a particular post you would like to see moved to one of the other threads, let me know and i will move it.

when we first got this forum, i started to go thru this long thread and create a new topic, then i moved several post to those newly created topics. then a discussion ensued between myself, another admin, and the boss mike. it was decided (which i 100% agree with) to leave it alone. this long thread should keep going, but a particular subject on topic to a particular build subject should go to the proper thread. if there is not one already, then make a new thread(topic).

i see the majority want to keep it the way it is. i being one of those. i know i have posted at least 3 times about this. there is even a sticky created for this. the only other option i see, is to close this thread. and then it will go further down, moved to page 2. new folks will not even see this anymore, and that would be a shame.

so i will say this one more time: this thread will remain, as is. please post on topics in the proper places. ask all the questions you want, and we(someone) will respond. if you want a post moved to another thread, let me know.

so lets put that to sleep and out of our minds. the only way it will happen is if mike tells me to do it.
please, let it rest.
Louella
May the foam be with you.
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby eaglesdare » Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:09 am

swampjeep wrote:I have a suggestion, but it would take a lot of work on a mod's side of things. Maybe make a copy of this big thread, (lock it) delete all the BS and Off Topic stuff, and maybe even move things to where they make more scense. Any talk about glue could also get copied over to the glue thread that is stickied, all covering talk to a coverings one, and so on. Even if it happened a little at a time, then do the same with any good build info that gets added to this big thread, copy it as it comes in to the proper build catogory in the stickies. I'm a mod on a dif site, using different software, so I'm not sure if all that is even possible with this site's software, and I know it is asking a lot, so if it never happens I understand why, and that is why I never brought it up before.

please see the above thread. i did try this. wasn't working. if you do read this thread, which i have many times, and other have as wel, some of the ideas came from b.s. when that is then moved (without) the b.s it just doesn't read smoothly. it seemed chopped. this was all discussed behind closed doors so to speak on how to handle this.
Louella
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby eaglesdare » Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:20 am

AQUA-GEM post, on the previous page, should it be moved to the adhesive thread?

or are we talking about a new covering of the fomies?

it seems to me that we are heading off into covering our foamies without using glue and canvas. so should a new topic be made on that? if so, let me know or please start it.
Louella
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby bonnie » Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:33 am

BTW, I love the chattiness on this thread. Gives me a smile, many a day. Had my Granddaughter over on Saturday. She and I and Daisy the wonderdog played and played. I truely love my dog. She is so good and patient with children.

Did have to stop GD from pinching Daisy's nose to see her teeth. :shock:

When everyone went home and all was quiet. I went looking for daisy and she was literally passed out in the family room. Poor baby had so much fun, but no naps. :lol:

Have a great Martin Luther King day, everyone.

Bonnie
Remember, the turtle won. :)
bonnie
Donating Member

Postby Ratkity » Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:45 am

What Bonnie? No pictures of the passed out pooch?? LOL. I love it when they play so hard they fall asleep like that. It's what happens when I take the dogs camping for the weekend. We go for walks, we play tug of war, they bark at invisible squirrels and growl at ghosts... then on the way home, they don't move.

BTW, I like the foamiling thread as is and the stickies as is and um... did I mention that I don't like change? LOL. Besides, it's now part of the initiation for new Foamilings. They must read the entire thing!

Hugs,
Ratkity
Ratkity
Gold Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Foamies