My Foamie Build--Updated --Jul 3 I'm eating an elephant

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Re: My Foamie Build--Updated --Meet Mr. B

Postby bonnie » Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:58 pm

Oldragbaggers wrote:I sure hope I get to see it. Will you be at the CRA???

I'm registered for site 56, I think. I hope to have BUB campable. There may be no lights or cabinets, but I'll be there, even if I need to use the tent. :)
Remember, the turtle won. :)
bonnie
Donating Member

Re: My Foamie Build--Updated --Meet Mr. B

Postby bonnie » Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:59 pm

wagondude wrote:Bonnie, search for plastic supply shops in your area. They do things like custom aquariums and bullet proof glass construction and installation. They would be able to form any plastic up for you or give you tips on how to do it. They might also be able to suggest what type (ABS/polycarbonate etc.) might be best for you application.

I hadn't thought of that. I have two pieces of plexi and one of lexan that came with BUB. I'll check tomorrow.
bonnie
Donating Member

Re: My Foamie Build--Updated --Jul 3 I'm eating an elephant

Postby bonnie » Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:45 pm

In what looks like a vain effort to get BUB campable for CRA, I took today and Friday off to work on the trailer. If all four days go like today did; I'll be sleeping in a tent. :NC

I was working on the windows, which will be made of PVC and open inward like sailboat windows, when the little brown truck arrived. Stopped what I was doing and spent the next four hours on a 1/2 hour job. I dry fit the pieces and had to widen both of the side rail cutouts. I don't know what the issue was, but those sides weren't going to attach without work. Of course I couldn't find my chisels; then I did. Then, I had problems with the drill. Then, I attached one of the curved pieces upside down. Getting it back apart was a bit tricky. :x Oh, and the camera died, so no :pictures:
Currently my idea is to use the hatch structure to make two rows of star gazing windows above the bed which rides at the front of the box. Still need to figure that out. Have the stops and window glazing at hand. I will be using the plexiglass that came with BUB, so no costs there. The material and cut of the hatch kit is very nice. I am happy with the purchase. The star gazing window will be supported with 2" foam. The headboard is made out of 2" foam too, so that should work well together.

When the hatch frame was finally together, I felt much, much better about today. Oh, and I put two coats of mix on the door. At least that went okay. :)

I'm off to shower and see if I can find my camera charger. Tomorrow will be a better day. And one with pictures!
bonnie
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:07 pm

Tomorrow is always a Good day !!! :D
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby S. Heisley » Thu Jul 04, 2013 7:59 pm

When things don't go as planned, take a breather, like you're doing. :thumbsup:
Later, things will look better to you.

It has been said that, having problems means you're on the right track and the end result will be good.
Now, that's positive thinking at its best! :D
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Mary C » Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:38 pm

I understand, I have had those days too. Right now it is the Hatch that is not going so good............I may be in a tent too. Take heart we will do it!!!!!!

Mary C. :)
Mary C
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby KCStudly » Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:43 pm

Don't rush. It does not end well.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby bonnie » Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:57 pm

Thanks for the encouragement. I appreciate it.

Still can't find my camera charger, so here's cell phone :pictures:

Left off yesterday with the hatch: Now dried and done:

The hatch is five foot wide, so I needed to come up with a plan to fill the space at the front of BUB. Foam channels:

They will need trimmed some, but should work, I hope. I made them out of 2" foam for a little extra support. Here's a shot of the hatch in place:

I plan on gluing and bolting it to the bottom portion. That area will be insulated and covered. Sort of like an air dam. The upper two rows will be windows. I broke one of my plexiglass pieces today trying to bend it, so I think I will need something more flexible. Has anyone used the drop in light covers for suspended ceilings? They are plastic and supposedly almost unbreakable. They are flexible enough that they would bend to conform to the shape of the hatch windows.

I am also thinking strongly about making the middle pane on the bottom row an AC window.

Next up is the side pieces mocked up and packing taped together. Not a perfect fit yet. I want to shape the top portion to be square enough to accept the 1" roof panel I already have. Have to cut it down to size. Standing height is just under 5 foot. Good for me, as I am 5 foot all. :lol:

Last shot is straight on from the inside of BUB. The brace in the middle is holding the arch up and against the bottom at the appropriate angle. It will be removed when the walls are glued up. I may end up putting a bracing piece down the wall for insurance purposes. Bit of overbuilding, maybe. Also in this shot is the beginnings of my headboard cabinet. It is made entirely from foam and pvc pipes. There will actually be 4 sides - didn't get to cut the other two. I just had to see how it would look. I have seven rungs to fit into the foam. Original plan was to have the foam roller part (pool noodles anyone?) be removable so the area behind them could be used for storage. Still thinking about that one. The top will be finished with a 3" board of some sort.

There you have it. Some progress at last. After two long days, at least there's something to see. :)
bonnie
Donating Member

Postby KCStudly » Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:19 pm

My experience with the drop ceiling lenses at work is that they are brittle and weak. They tend to crack due to the Fresnel lens texture.

The plexi can be heat formed. Just be careful not to over heat (bubbles will form) and to form gradually, otherwise waves will appear. (I'm not an expert, it's what I have learned from being near roundy-round cars and work related stuff... safety guards and display cases.)
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby CampsALot » Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:55 pm

Watch the plastic ceiling lens panels, :thumbdown:
I tried to use one for a project once, it shattered when I tried to drill a hole in it.
The pieces were just like a broken house window, large sharp shards.

Warren
Foam Away From Home
Start of Build Thread viewtopic.php?f=50&t=55752
New Build Thread viewtopic.php?f=55&t=56489
CampsALot
Teardrop Advisor

Postby bonnie » Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:58 am

Thanks for the comments. The drop ceiling stuff is out. I think I will be able to bend the lighter plexiglass stuff. Will be working on that soon. :)
bonnie
Donating Member

Postby Mary C » Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:43 pm

Bonnie I got a big tent and I got two cots............I know I am tasting the elephant at my house too!! Let me know if I kneed to bring the cots and tent at least we can be off the ground. :wine:

Mary C. :)
Mary C
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Verna » Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:50 pm

If you two ladies need anything that you can't bring, just hollar. I can get a 7x7 SUV tent with 7' headroom. I used it for a number of years and now my nephew uses it. I have two cots, with one of them being a extra-large size. Both are sturdy and in great shape. Tent was water- proofed two years ago. Give me some warning and I'll seal it again. Sorry, I sold my old teardrop and my standy last month.
Verna
Indianapolis, IN
Verna
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:25 am

RE: eating elephant ... A guy walks into a restaurant famous for serving EVERYTHING ... and orders Elephant ear on a bun... The waiter says ," No we can’t do that "... The patron says ," What are you out of elephant ? "... The waiter says , "No , we’re outta’ buns ! " .... :R :roll: :lol:

Sorta’ like trailer camping without a trailer ... :FNP
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby bonnie » Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:20 pm

Thanks Verna, I should be able to finally decide this weekend.
GPW, that made me laugh. Thanks!
bonnie
Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Foamies