Thrifty Alternatives ..Building Foam Campers

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Re: Thrifty Alternatives ... Building Foam TDs

Postby Wobbly Wheels » Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:07 am

Got all that squared away...here (Canada) we take any raptors to a Conservation Officer for an inspection and there's a form to fill out. I met the guy and did the paperwork over a coffee, lol.
But you're right, that's not something one wants to get caught with.

Without that piece of paper, taxidermists won't even touch it.
Wobbly Wheels
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:42 am

Several years ago I found an Owl (road kill) and harvested the wing feathers to fletch my arrows ... My friend the Game Warden caught me at the Archery range and told me to NEVER let him see those arrows again or he’d have to write me up ... :o :shock: He was nice about it , but said it’s the Law!!! :frightened:
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby pete42 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:32 am

GPW wrote:Several years ago I found an Owl (road kill) and harvested the wing feathers to fletch my arrows ... My friend the Game Warden caught me at the Archery range and told me to NEVER let him see those arrows again or he’d have to write me up ... :o :shock: He was nice about it , but said it’s the Law!!! :frightened:

wow I have several owl feathers from the old hootie that lives in the trees behind my house, I have them stuck into a hat band
maybe I should get rid of them as well
I did know some birds are protected no matter how they are killed and owning them is prohibited
pete42
Super Lifetime Member

Postby GPW » Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:53 am

Pete , I don’t think a single feather stuck in a hat should make any difference... could have come from a molt. :roll:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby eaglesdare » Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:20 am

ah but some of these laws don't care how that feather came to be period. if you get caught with a feather, you can be in some serious trouble or fined. i think its to prevent someone from killing the bird and then claiming they found it dead and took a feather.
Louella
May the foam be with you.
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby droid_ca » Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:58 am

even just one feather cause if they let one person do it they have to let all and that adds up to a few birds
There is a world, just beyond now,
where reality runs a razor thin seam between fact and possibility;

Anywhere I roam where I lay my head is home....
“Fide Canem”
Please check out my build thread
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=52816
droid_ca
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:08 pm

Good Point Droid !!! :o Plenty of other feathers for our caps .... Lots of Turkey Vultures around here .... Big ugly birds , but beautiful graceful fliers, and they leave nice BIG feathers for me to collect ... seems nobody wants to protect them ... but they do a Great cleanup job out here in the woods ... nothing dead on the ground stays there for long ... Useful Birds ... Funny , first time my wife came out here she saw a flock of them on the levee, and said “ Oh Look , Bald Eagles!!! “ .. I said “Er, No Baby , those are NOT Bald Eagles "... :roll: City Girls !!! :R :lol: :lol: :lol:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby mikeschn » Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:30 pm

The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby KCStudly » Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:41 pm

In '92 I was down on site at King's Bay, GA. Got done on the job just as Bike Week was going on in Daytona. Shuffled on down there, spent a day in the rain midweek and decided to head on home. Drove through a state or national park (have no recollection as to which one). It was pretty flat, as Florida wants to be, and the road was straight, so I could see a ways into the distance. Had no problem seeing a large bird standing on the left margin of the road up aways. Slowed down well in advance and worked my way up to see a glorious bald eagle. Just as I got about even with him he lifted up and I could see that he had a rather large snake clutched in his talons, black, at least 6 ft in length, well dead. The eagle took that snake not 20-30 feet up into a short dead tree (about the only thing above 4 ft off the ground for miles around). It was desolate, Hitchcockian even, nature in her finest hour. Something that will stay with me forever.

A couple of years ago the wife and I took the boat up to Sebago Lake in Maine where we had rented a cabin on the lake for our vacation week. Sebago is a rather large lake so we would sort of pick a destination for the day and set out in the boat exploring. On the north end of the lake there is an inlet adjacent to the state park beach (forget the details off of the top of my head). Any way, we were puttering along enjoying the scenery and there in a large fir tree we spotted a bald eagle. We, and a couple of other boaters who had slowed to see what we were looking at hovered around for a bit when a second eagle came gliding in to roost near the first one. Absolutely one of the many highlights of that trip. The water, the pine trees, eagles, just gorgeous.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby eaglesdare » Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:36 pm

within days of getting my new car, i had heard about all these bald eagles gathering in a state park in Ill. i think it was starved rock? but i packed up my car and son and off we took. took me 2 days to get there and 2 days to get back, in the middle of blizzard weather. stayed only a few hours in the 5 degree temps. but the sights i saw in those few hours will last forever!

i love the bald eagle!!!!!!!!
Louella
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby SteveW » Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:09 pm

Wow, is that a shot you took with all the bald eagles in the tree?? Never seen that many in one place. That's a magnificent sight.

We have some that roost each year just down the road from us. I like taking the kids down to see them.
Steve
The build is on.
SteveW
Teardrop Master

Postby GPW » Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:57 am

Rare thing to see Eagles around here , but there are a few .... I was surprised how Noisy they were... Had one in a tree outside the Studio squawking and carrying on making all kinds of racket ... that’s how I noticed it ... They are Beautiful , and BIG ... :o
The Raptors that scare me are all the Owls around here... Silent, deadly killers .. and they aren’t afraid of people ... :o I’ve had them fly right past me many times , close ... :frightened: Not the sweet birds they’re made out to be ... :roll: Plus they hoot all night , sometimes making a sound like Monkeys ... Strange !!!
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby bonnie » Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:20 am

eaglesdare wrote:within days of getting my new car, i had heard about all these bald eagles gathering in a state park in Ill. i think it was starved rock? but i packed up my car and son and off we took. took me 2 days to get there and 2 days to get back, in the middle of blizzard weather. stayed only a few hours in the 5 degree temps. but the sights i saw in those few hours will last forever!

i love the bald eagle!!!!!!!!

Creve Coure Park. It's actually in the metro area. The Lake is big enough for sailing. The eagles nest along the mississippi river every year. Eagle, you could have swung by and said hello. I wish I had known. :) The picture is real and the eagles do congregate like that. This is the first year in memory they have taken inland like this. Fishing must be good. I love to eagle watch too.

Bonnie
Remember, the turtle won. :)
bonnie
Donating Member

Postby eaglesdare » Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:27 am

yeah there was an island in the middle of some water way in this state park. i hear that all the waters around were all frozen over. so eagles from everywhere came here. they say it happens quite a bit. anyway, there were hundreds of them all over the place. if you are into eagles, then the 5 degree temps did not really bother you. just seeing that many at one time,flying all around you is increditable!

the young ones were there also.

such an awesome site.

this event happens from what i understand around jan/feb. when waters freeze up. so if anyone ever gets the chance to go, you really should. this was probably the only time in my life i battled the cold voluntarely(sp) i think that is what makes the difference here. the colder it is, the more water that freezes in surrounding areas. the bigger the congregation of eagles occur.

ok enjoy.
Louella
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby eaglesdare » Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:35 am

i just looked on my mug i bought from there. it is starved rock state park. this was early feb 09 when i went there.
had i known people back then i would have stopped to say hello!
i did know a disney fan from another site, and i picked her up. so she spent the day (or i should say hours) with us enjoying those birds.
Louella
eaglesdare
Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Foamies