Thrifty Alternatives ..Building Foam Campers

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Postby GPW » Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:34 am

Well, back to reality ... the plan is to still build the TD as planned above ^.. Nice and simple ... !!! Then , who knows ??? Today is the big MG band job ... tomorrow we Cut foam !!!! :thumbsup: :D
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby eaglesdare » Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:17 am

i want to start glueing foam to foam, but the weather is not cooperating. doesn't look like its going to be nice for a while here. i could do it in the house, but i would never get it back out [ no opening big enough] sure wished i had got hubby that garage last year. :oops:
Louella
May the foam be with you.
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby droid_ca » Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:22 am

so what kind of foam did you end up getting?
There is a world, just beyond now,
where reality runs a razor thin seam between fact and possibility;

Anywhere I roam where I lay my head is home....
“Fide Canem”
Please check out my build thread
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=52816
droid_ca
Donating Member

Postby eaglesdare » Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:32 am

droid_ca wrote:so what kind of foam did you end up getting?

i ended up with the green foam lowes was selling. 2" think 4x8 sheets.
i plan to use those for my sides.

then i got a 1" thick sheet to experment on for the curve.

but after seeing your link, my wheels are turning in my head.
i am thinking you could use the 2" thick sheets to cut out spars and then just use flat sections of the 2" stuff and lay them on top, being able to sand to form the curve, then cover in canvas.

originally i was thinking of cutting my side profile "after" i got a curve that i liked from the 1" sheet. but now, i am thinking i can just cut my profile the way i want now, and then fill in with the 2" stuff without worrying about bending it.

did that make anysense at all?
Louella
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby droid_ca » Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:18 am

made a lot of sense I totally understand the wheels turning I have three different trailer ideas I thought I settled on one then got some information from another thread and now I'm back to which one do I want to build
one step forward two steps back
There is a world, just beyond now,
where reality runs a razor thin seam between fact and possibility;

Anywhere I roam where I lay my head is home....
“Fide Canem”
Please check out my build thread
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=52816
droid_ca
Donating Member

Postby Dummy » Sat Mar 05, 2011 2:42 pm

Just rechecking...does the big box white foam work witth the TB2 and canvas mix? I hope to try this on a panel tommorrow.
Dummy
Teardrop Inspector

Postby GPW » Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:11 pm

I think as long as it's Styrofoam , it would be OK ... Seen the same stuff in Blue , Pink , Green and white ... The white" beaded board" , being half the weight and strength might even work ...just make it Thicker ... :thumbsup: Most any foam would work with the fabric skins... Not to mention EPP Foam which is pretty Rugged , a bit pricy for our needs and not commonly available ... I'd imagine an EPP TD with Kevlar skins would be Almost bear proof .... almost :roll: :o ... at least it would be bullet proof ...

Eagle's getting "creative" on us ... That's so Cool when it all comes together... 8) :thumbsup:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:39 am

Today , we roll up the rugs in the Studio and mark and cut Foam .... Yippee !!! :D
The plan is to cut out the first side , then measure everything against that ... make two identical sides... Then the front back roof panels (all rectangles in my simple build ) Then the inside shelving and arch , which will become an integral part of the shell...reinforcing the structure... I'm still thinking about covering the inside of the sides,roof, shelves, etc. , Before assembly ... I can do this flat on the floor or a couple sawhorses, eliminating all the contortions of the old body trying to do it inside the cab later... working flat it's Easy to get the fabric to lie straight and flat on the foam ... overhead work is Much trickier .. doing the outside should be easy (access) , Tying it all together later with the required reinforcing strips (skin doublers) is simple ... Much easier than trying to handle large pieces of fabric inside ... :o Also thinking of doing the reinforcement strips in a Heavier fabric/canvas ... That's where all the stresses will be concentrated and the "edges" probably are more subject to dents and dimples... so greater strength is needed there ... but this is all so easy , more strength needed? add more fabric!!! :thumbsup:

I'll take some pics as we progress!!! ;)
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:49 am

Oops , forgot to mention since our foam was donated (FREEBIE) to the project and is cut up in varying sizes, I may have to do a little edge gluing, etc. to get the proper size panels ... :o
No problem as "the skin is the strength" and the glue is stronger than the foam...no worries!!! Another bonus if you can "salvage" your foam at a better price...whatever size... Thrifty eh !!! :thumbsup: :D
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby eaglesdare » Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:24 am

yes pics and lots of pics. even the simple things, take pics. please post them on this thread. the images appear bigger and that is much better on my eyes. :D

can't wait to see them.
Louella
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:59 pm

OK, Not too exciting , but I measured the foam for square and size , found it 1/2" short ... 95 1/2" :o Made some critical measurements , used a straightedge and a Sharpie , made my cut lines ... so that is the drivers side.... Won't plan on any window(s) till I find something I like or is cheap, whichever comes first... :roll: Easy to cut them in later...

Now , on to the passenger/curb side..
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:34 pm

Using the shorter pieces , made up the other side ... only have to join the two pieces with a small scrap over the door , which will be wood braced anyway ... 8) Image

Now , the front , back and roof ... the door will be tentatively 30" wide and 40" tall ... that seems big enough huh ? Actually a little smaller because of the framing ...
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby eaglesdare » Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:48 pm

yay the pics are starting!!!!!!!!!! love them. and i love your dented and scratched up pieces of foam! i was so worried about the few nicks i have in mine. i tried to get the most perfect pieces.

:applause: keep those pics coming. i seriously want to see everything.
Louella
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:00 pm

The really nasty dents will get a quick fill with lightweight vinyl spackle .... you know , the kind that feels like there's nothing in the tub ... Works great on foam , well tested , quick and light , fast drying ... When ya' get FREE foam , you don't look at it that hard ... :lol: Not bad really , mostly dusty ... came from an architects' wood shop... and with any Luck and some careful cutting , may have enough to finish ... ;) The outside anyway ... Still think I'll need another sheet for shelves, the arch ... etc. Not so bad... So far I haven't spent anything (save the gas to go get it) ... :o :thumbsup:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:24 pm

....and now , the rest of the foam ... Made my cut list , just enough foam almost exact if I'm careful , but if I have to buy another sheet then I'll cut the parts out of the good stuff first , save the freebies for shelves etc.
Speaking of shelves , I think the foam shelves (covered) would be fine for light stuff ... If you want to put everything you own on it then some thin luan on each side should hold up an elephant (not really :roll: ) http://www.tnttt.com/gallery/image.php?image_id=76325
GPW
Gold Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Foamies