Thrifty Alternatives ..Building Foam Campers

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Postby eaglesdare » Sun Mar 06, 2011 4:15 pm

good job!!!!!!!!!!!!

oh please let the warm weather come soon.
Louella
May the foam be with you.
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Sun Mar 06, 2011 4:58 pm

The plan is to go to the store tomorrow and get everything else I need ... ( Yes , I'm actually going to spend some money :shock: ) but it is Mardi Gras here through Tuesday and driving can be somewhat complicated ... with all the parades and traffic .. :o Gotta' get it , can't stop the momentum now ???
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby eaglesdare » Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:26 am

be safe driving thru that. i have never been to madri gras. have you ever seen steven segal down there?

some one sent my hubby an article to a bear attack in alaska by a polar bear. the man survived by killing the bear. i am not 100p/c sure it is a real story, but the images are gross and not for the meek and mild...anyway hubby forward it to me. he knows about my concern with camping and bears. i had to tell him i wasn't planning on camping in alaska at all ever.
..i'll be lucky if i can make it out to south dakota [which is on the bucket list for me].

ok get to work gpw!
Louella
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:04 am

Never had it , but I hear Bear is pretty Tasty !! :o If it comes down to you or the bear , well, the bear's gotta' go eh !!! ... :roll:

Steven Segal ... Sure , he's a Jefferson Parish Cop down here (really!) and he has a Blues Band ... Seen him around a couple times ... Lots of celebrities here , we try to leave them alone in peace ... which is why they seem to like this place... ;)
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Wolffarmer » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:12 am

I have heard of two polar bear attacks where the guy survived ( as did the bear ) when they punched the bear in the nose as hard as he could. The bear high tailed it out of camp. Not sure how to test this in a controlled experiment.

Randy
"these guys must be afraid of the dark"
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Postby bobhenry » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:31 am

I heard bears won't bite into a foam trailer it reminds them too much of those bland nasty rice cakes. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby GPW » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:36 am

Thank goodness there's no bears around here... just Alligators :o
Getting the foam ready to cut ...
Checking the paper for parade routes to the home depot /Loew's .... make sure I don't get blocked by one of those ... For the rest of the world it's just another Monday ... for us , it's Lundi Gras ... the party before the bigger blow out tomorrow ... :shock: Just Nuts here !!! But I have to get my stuff for the build ... good time to stay at home and work on the trailer ...for me anyway ... If this works out as planned , we'll be ready for skinning by mid week ...
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:39 am

Well since I knew the traffic around here was going to be bad , so let my "fingers do the walking" ... Called Loew's and HD ... Neither has the 2" foam in stock. grrrr!!!!! ... That saves a trip and about 10 bucks of the newly precious gas... :roll:
Back to cutting out foam ... Have to be content with that till I can get more foam ... I have to fab All the pieces first , so I can do the mockup ... each part serves a structural purpose ... even the shelves... !!!

Setting up my horses now ... :D
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:38 am

I was going to make the cuts with a sabre saw, but I just got out my trusty old handsaw (sharp) and this stuff cuts like Butter ... :thumbsup: I did leave the line and will sand to it for exactness.. not that it's all that critical ...

GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:05 am

All the parts cut and marked now ... not too much mess on the floor ... :thumbsup: Image

Funny , lying flat, the parts didn't look so big ... standing on the side , it's Huge .... :o
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:28 am

The rough fit Image a little fine tuning the roof panel angles and we can start skinning the inside panels ... putting it together ... more pics in the album ...
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby eaglesdare » Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:37 pm

wow, fantastic! :thumbsup:
Louella
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:23 pm

... and a LOT simpler than even I thought it would be ... :o The foam cuts so easily , it's like a giant craft project ... :lol:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby eaglesdare » Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:02 pm

i'm thinking about getting a couple more sheets of the 2" foam. i'm getting nervous that i am going to need more and won't beable to find it.
i know we can double up, but that will just be a pain.

i can't wait to start doing something with mine. i am thinking about starting in the house again. the main reason i did not was because i would not beable to get it back out. but if i do the cuts in the house then i will beable to. since it won't be that tall, i will beable to get it out the door. i'll just have to keep the vacumn handy.

wednesday i have an outpatient appt at the hosp, so maybe i will start on thursday if i am feeling up to it. i need to get as much as i possible can done before monday. after that i will not be up to much of anything as i have another surgery on monday. then the weekend of the 19th i have a group of tearjerkers coming over to help with the build.

if i can at least get the pieces done, then all we will have to do is put it together. gosh i am running out of time.
Louella
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:58 pm

Eagle, you could go so far as to cut out all the pieces and possibly skin the insides of the pieces inside ...Then assembly would be quick ! If you have the time ...

Suggestion : On the side with the door ... I wouldn't cut out the door all the way ... Maybe leave section at the bottom to act as a brace to be cut away later .... with the door cut out completely the side becomes rather flimsy ... It may be best to leave the door cut till after basic assembly ... cutting the foam is so easy !!! Much unlike plywood ...
Surprisingly , when I had it all taped together it was quite Sturdy and stiff , just the foam !!! :o
GPW
Gold Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Foamies