Thrifty Alternatives ..Building Foam Campers

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Postby eaglesdare » Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:58 pm

GPW wrote:Eagle, you could go so far as to cut out all the pieces and possibly skin the insides of the pieces inside ...Then assembly would be quick ! If you have the time ...

Suggestion : On the side with the door ... I wouldn't cut out the door all the way ... Maybe leave section at the bottom to act as a brace to be cut away later .... with the door cut out completely the side becomes rather flimsy ... It may be best to leave the door cut till after basic assembly ... cutting the foam is so easy !!! Much unlike plywood ...
Surprisingly , when I had it all taped together it was quite Sturdy and stiff , just the foam !!! :o

thanks, i wasn't planning on cutting out til it was together. i am a visual person, so i want to see it together before deciding where the door will go.

and i have pretty much decided that i will bring it in on thrusday to start something. i would actually do it tomorrow, but i am afraid that while i am at the hosp on wednesday the kids around here will destroy the foam. and we know we can't have that happen.
Louella
May the foam be with you.
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:21 pm

Gosh I only wish I had foam like this when I was a kid ... 8) That was so long ago , all we had was sticks and mud !!! :o :lol: :lol: :lol:
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Wolffarmer » Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:42 pm

You had sticks!!!!!!

Randy
"these guys must be afraid of the dark"
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Postby eaglesdare » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:54 pm

gosh i remember playing with stone in our gravel drive way. so you play with your sticks and i will play with my stones. :lol:
Louella
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby Ageless » Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:03 pm

Gravel driveway . . .high class snob!!!

:lol:
Strangers on this road we are on; we are not two, we are one - Raymond Douglas Davies
Ageless
Platinum Donating Member

Postby vreihen » Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:34 am

Ageless wrote:Gravel driveway . . .high class snob!!!

:lol:

You had a driveway????? :lol:
vreihen
Teardrop Master

Postby eaglesdare » Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:06 am

hey hey, we were not snobs. :cry: my parents remodeled a chicken coop, and we lived in that until they finished building a real house for us.
Louella
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:10 am

Breaking News : My Pal "G" who I gave the Foamie ' TD model to ,now tells me he has 2 people waiting for one ... people willing to pay good money for a Foamie trailer !!! :o
This is the Last thing I want to do ... sounds like Work :shock: Hey , I'm retired!!! He's out there hawking these things .. now talking about a shop ... :shock:
Now I admit , trailer building is just about the most Fun you can have with your clothes on , But I don't think I'd want to do this 9-5.. Besides I need my nap in the afternoon (siesta) :R

I'm just amazed that there's so much interest based on a model ...???

Mardi Gras today ... and it's Raining !! Going to sneak down the back routes to the HD ... hopefully encountering no parades... Gotta' get my Glue !!! HD should be Empty !! ... a quick retreat back to the studio and we can start the assembly ... :thumbsup:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:36 am

Actually got the wife to sit in the trailer ... better to judge the scale !! There's the dumb dog again !!! :lol:Image
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby eaglesdare » Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:17 pm

that is awesome!!!!!!!! i am for sure going to start on thursday now. be nice to that dog!
Louella
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:54 pm

Now I just thought :roll: If I build the shell inside , I won't be able to get it out either... :o Have to wait for a nice day outside or move a ton (literally) of stuff .. foam can be a "bear " in the wind... :shock:

That's the DUMBEST dog I ever had , but she's a Sweetheart , like a big baby , stray taken in ... Knows about 5 words , cookie being the main one. Great in the house, but barks at all the wrong things ... :oops: Strangers come down the driveway , Nothing .... a leaf falls or the heater comes on ... RA RA RA ... Idiot!!! But Sweet !!! Kinda reminds me of my first wife... :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby eaglesdare » Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:14 pm

ok first procedure done and i don't feel bad as all. now i just have the surgery on monday. but i think i might be going out back and getting at least 2 of those boards, bring them into my house and glue them. that will be at least something.
Louella
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:16 am

Eagle , glad you're feeling better !!! :thumbsup:

The weather finally improved here, stopped RAINING !! Hopefully I'll be able to get out an get the glue today ...
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby eaglesdare » Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:59 am

so you just had to send your rain up here huh? :lol: it is pouring and someone mentioned we are suposed to be getting lots of rain. so no going out back for me. yes i will melt if i get rained on. :D
Louella
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:28 am

Naa... we sent our rain (and tornadoes) East !!! :o Guess we'll be getting your rain in a day or two ???
Clear Today , a little Cool for us ..(60's) :roll: Off to the Guitar factory to hopefully get some cypress strips for door/window framing (free) ... then to the HD for Glue !!!
Far as Thrifty goes .... Haven't spent Any money on this yet ... donated Foam and leftover ply or OSB (still haven't decided yet )... old boat trailer ...
Guess I'll have to actually BUY some Glue ... :o :shock: :lol:

Funny , the wife came in this morning and said , "You know you can't build this in here or you'll never get it out" ... :roll: Even she's starting to "get it" ... ;)
GPW
Gold Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Foamies