The Poet Creek Express - Foamie Hybrid

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Re: The Poet Creek Express - Foamie Hybrid

Postby KCStudly » Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:58 pm

eaglesdare wrote:Simon is beautiful!

He is such a love bug and so docile, well behaved and just hangs out making no trouble whatsoever. Just don't understand how anyone could let him go. :thinking:

eaglesdare wrote:your door is looking real good! :wine:

Thanks Eagle. I'm pretty happy with the way they are turning out. The real tell will be how well I can make the canvas wrap down into the window recesses. I may have to do a test and see if I need to roll the outside corner of the window recess over, and maybe fill the inside corner in a bit, too, in order to get the fabric to comply to the shape of the recess. The current plan is to make a press form (using a release agent, such as a heavy piece of plywood, fit, sealed and waxed to the nines) to press the canvas into the window recess. A scale test of that would probably be a good idea, too. The further I get the more afraid of screwing up I become. :worship: ;) :thinking:
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Sat Sep 15, 2012 5:36 am

KC , what we found about wrapping canvas into window/door cutouts , is to first glue a narrow strip of fabric around the inside face of the window framing first , then the canvas that goes over it can be made with the usual V cuts to allow for the curves and still not show wood underneath, that was not covered... Once painted it all becomes One ... :thumbsup:
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby eaglesdare » Sat Sep 15, 2012 5:43 am

the canvas is actually pretty easy to work with once its wet with glue. as gpw says, with the right cuts you will be fine. you could use full strenght tb on the wood (don't skimp), lay canvas, apply more full strenght, primer, paint, and that stuff is not coming up. i have seems here that i can vouch for will never cut up.
Louella
May the foam be with you.
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby KCStudly » Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:20 pm

No build progress :oops:.

My lame excuse is that the shop is preoccupied by a rush paying job from another trash plant. When they do a planned outage for maintenance they have an idea of what they will need to repair, but they usually get in there and find other stuff that needs attention, and then it is hell bent for leather, can't allow the outage to go longer because it is money down the drain, so anything they can do to pay and get back on schedule is justified. That's where Karl steps in. He is lean and mean and smart and steps right up to the plate and gets paid good money to bail out the sub who can't move fast enough to get out of their own way. Gotta strike while the iron is hot! Word is that the shop is full of some sort of clamp dog thingys...bunches of them. Ka-ching.

I am thinking of building a work bench upstairs dedicated to the build in case the out feed table for the table saw does not go back to being flat (or accessible). Maybe just some horses with strong backs and my floor set on top(?).

Anyway, the big news for today is another vintage camping equipment find. Details here - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=52386
Last edited by KCStudly on Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KC

Poet Creek Or Bust
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:50 am

clamp dog thingys... more Pets eh ??? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Nice lamp find !!! Restoration is indicated ... but depending what your time is worth , that might be “costly” ... :roll:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby KCStudly » Sat Sep 22, 2012 3:32 pm

Took a cheap thin metal shelf unit that Karl was going to throw out; reinforced the sides and back with long diagonals made out of some of the left over slats from laminating the curved galley wall edge pieces; squared it up on the bench and sheet metal screwed through the slats into the edge of each shelf.

Then I screwed it to one of the timbers along the wall of the loft so that it would 'for sure' not fall over or collapse when I loaded all of my build tools and supplies onto it. After a dozen trips up and down the stairs I got about half of my stuff relocated onto the shelves.

Last week we had moved some of the sheet goods up (so that Karl could reclaim one of his panel carts) and when I got there yesterday (just catching up, petting the cat, looking at the plans and contemplating the blocking locations that have not been determined yet) I found that the remaining cut items had also been relocated upstairs for me. Nice and neatly.

Tomorrow I plan to move the rest of my tools and supplies up, and perhaps unload the weights and stuff off of the table saw out feed table to see if it has gone back to being flat again. If it is back to being reasonably flat I can use that to make all of my cabinet face frames, under counter dividers, counter top sub-frame and remaining pieces of the tongue box.

Once I get the wall blocking cut in, and the inner skins glued on I shouldn't need the big bench anymore. Cutting the profiles can probably be done on the smaller bench upstairs.

The next steps after that will be assembling the box. Man it seems like it is taking forever to get to that stage of building the box, but it is all part of the master plan to build "in the flat" as much as possible, finish as much of the interior as possible before assembly, and keeping the big assembly from killing shop space.
KC

Poet Creek Or Bust
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:29 am

Getting Close KC... assembly should be pretty quick eh ... :thumbsup:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby KCStudly » Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:32 am

Close and yet so far away. :frightened:
KC

Poet Creek Or Bust
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby KCStudly » Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:08 pm

Last night I spent another hour or so moving build equipment to the upstairs shelves. Had hoped to get the table saw table cleared, as well, but Karl had bought several lots at auction and the shop is unsettled while he moves stuff in and gets it organized. A bunch of new goodies/tooling for the shop (some major items are duplicates in better condition than the existing stuff... like the large belt sander for "brush" finishing tubing and pipe, and another large power fed Marvel vert. band saw for structural shape cutting), and a bunch more stuff to flip. Two or three truck & trailer loads. This is really good for Karl to buy while the economy is down and he is "up" (busy); equip the shop, sell excess for profit now, or over time to profit during slower times; no rush.

Hopefully by me making more space on the cutoff saw bench downstairs (the one that tends to always be cluttered), it will free up daily clutter on the main steel table (the one where the fab and assembly work tends to take place).

Kind of hard to even move around downstairs at the moment, between the stalled Rover project, in progress chip dryer, and ute trailer or truck being left inside for unloading/weather protection of newly purchased equipment. Karl is cataloging and assessing all of the auction stuff and once the dust settles a little we should be able to organize the stuff on the table saw table somewhere else (but those empty flat surfaces are just too tempting to set stuff on!). Never enough work surfaces, must remain diligent.

Started finding myself daydreaming about Poet Creek (crick, the location, not the trailer) again today while at work, so that is a sign that the ennui of teardrop time is starting to wear thin. Need to get back to the grind and "get er done".
KC

Poet Creek Or Bust
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:04 am

KC, you do have the enviable position of having a complete shop to FAB in ... 8) 8) 8) :thumbsup:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby KCStudly » Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:25 pm

Yeah, but I'm feeling like a sail boat with no wind, and no rudder! :oops:

The "boat" is a loaner, to boot. :roll: :NC

Time to start rowing! :thumbsup:

It's times like these that I like to listen to Roger Miller. Cheers me up. :)

King Of The Road

Do Whacka Do

Chug-A-Lug

Mississippi Squirrel Revival

...and many more.
KC

Poet Creek Or Bust
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby wagondude » Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:47 pm

Those songs take me (way) back. I used to listen to Roger Miller, Roy Clark, Mac Davis and Charlie Pride on the 8-track in Dad's purple shag carpeted van. :thumbsup:
Bill

TnTTT ORIGIONAL 200A LANTERN CLUB
wagondude
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Wolffarmer » Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:03 pm

When ever anyone mentions 8 track tape it takes me back to when I first heard Otis Redding. It was the fall of 1968 and I was a freshman at the University of Idaho. Dad had Mills come over and pick me up one friday from a farm about 3 hours away. Mills had worked for us for a few years and he was a real nice jovial African american. So I hopped in his big Ford LTD and he wanted to see the University before we went back to the farm. So there I was was a whitest of white kid cruising around, with Mills driving, windows rolled down and Otis blasting on the 8 track. Just smiling at the other white on white kids. This is Idaho. About the only minorities was on the athletic teams.

This also brings up when I was checking into the dorm and the proctor asked me if I would not mind rooming with a black kid. His very words. When I said no, there was this great look of relief on his face. But the only minority in that dorm was a grad student from Turkey. At least the only minority we knew about as back then the world was full of closets.

Randy
"these guys must be afraid of the dark"
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Postby KCStudly » Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:52 pm

Unloaded the saw table and found locations for everything; table still taco'ed. Made remedies and will provide pic's and details next time. Nice dinner out with the wife and a few :wine: so all for tonight.

I'm going to leave the walls for now and start in on the cabinet face frames. If things don't settle down in the shop (where the 5x10 benches are) in the near future I will figure something out; make a new bench upstairs if I have to.

Starting to get back into the swing of things. :thumbsup:
KC

Poet Creek Or Bust
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:46 am

Enhance your Trailer Zen , vacation’s over.... Back to Work !!! Send more :pictures: ... :thumbsup:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Foamies