Thrifty Alternatives ..Building Foam Campers

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Re: Thrifty Alternatives ... Building Foam TDs

Postby KCStudly » Wed Jul 15, 2015 8:15 am

My perception is that there has been a shift toward using TB2 as the glue for the canvas instead of paint.

Rather than do the canvas design like paper mache to get a pattern, why not cover with one or two colored or patterned panels and applique the highlight features over the top? In other words, say you want a two tone panel with light color high and dark color low, you could drape one fabric over the top and lap the other up from the bottom getting a good sock effect (either or both could have patterns); then cut out and apply any special high light logos or designs, such as a big printed flower or whatever, over the top like a decal. Then you would just need to see how much the untinted base would effect the color (IIRC Woodbutcher said it yellowed or fogged a bit).
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby dales133 » Wed Jul 15, 2015 8:57 am

I've used alot of water based "varnish" and it's pretty stable as in non yellowing but I guess that reverts back to my other thread, is it suitable.
It definatly would be worth more investigation for a translucent finnish
dales133
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby djdawg » Wed Jul 15, 2015 9:40 am

KCStudly wrote:My perception is that there has been a shift toward using TB2 as the glue for the canvas instead of paint.

Rather than do the canvas design like paper mache to get a pattern, why not cover with one or two colored or patterned panels and applique the highlight features over the top? In other words, say you want a two tone panel with light color high and dark color low, you could drape one fabric over the top and lap the other up from the bottom getting a good sock effect (either or both could have patterns); then cut out and apply any special high light logos or designs, such as a big printed flower or whatever, over the top like a decal. Then you would just need to see how much the untinted base would effect the color (IIRC Woodbutcher said it yellowed or fogged a bit).

After I posted I had thought about that too. If my memory serves me correctly, the TB2 yellows after drying?

I guess a person could go back after doing the canvassing/TB2 step (making sure everything is cured) and paint the outside however they want? I'm assuming paint on top of dried TB2 would only add to the overall strength? I'm surprised I haven't seen more intricate paint jobs on the outside if this is possible.
Kevin
Bellingham, WA
djdawg
Teardrop Master

Postby OP827 » Wed Jul 15, 2015 11:19 am

djdawg wrote:
KCStudly wrote:My perception is that there has been a shift toward using TB2 as the glue for the canvas instead of paint.

After I posted I had thought about that too. If my memory serves me correctly, the TB2 yellows after drying?

I guess a person could go back after doing the canvassing/TB2 step (making sure everything is cured) and paint the outside however they want? I'm assuming paint on top of dried TB2 would only add to the overall strength? I'm surprised I haven't seen more intricate paint jobs on the outside if this is possible.

Yes, and there are some good painting jobs done over canvas that were mentioned on this board.
Just need to mask tape and then paint the mask tape edge with the background color before painting the other paint color to have good results due to canvas texture (small voids filling).
See some painting works over canvas that I have found:
http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=60497&p=1094124#p1092317
http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=62527&start=120#p1129689
OP827
Donating Member

Postby tac422 » Wed Jul 15, 2015 8:07 pm

Here's where the Big Pink was painted. I used pinstripe between the colors ...
It's in my thread here:
http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=56441&start=255
tac422
500 Club

Postby WoodSmith » Wed Jul 15, 2015 9:56 pm

I'm sorry, but when I saw that pic, I thought for sure it was a tight, side shot of a bikini bottom!
Glen Smith
Build Journal
WoodSmith
Donating Member

Re: Thrifty Alternatives ..Building &History of Foam Campe

Postby GPW » Tue Jul 21, 2015 7:20 am

Looks like this Monster thread has run it’s useful course and may be better CLOSED and moved up top in the stickies so as not to interfere with new ideas .. Although it has everything it’s become quite a feat to read. :roll:
You guys decide ... This was the “rite of passage” , but many now have worked around that ... :o
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Re: Thrifty Alternatives ..Building & History of Foam Camp

Postby Wolffarmer » Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:03 am

Sounds good
"these guys must be afraid of the dark"
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Postby KCStudly » Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:52 am

I'd say let it run its course. If it is meant to die off then people just won't reply to it up anymore, but why lock it out?
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby mnfrosty » Tue Jul 21, 2015 3:35 pm

I started a new thread. But I wanted to let folks know that it is there. Finally got a number of designs in my gallery. I won't be building anytime soon... the wife has said "NO PROJECTS!" :( I feel like I know many of you after slogging through the big thread, so check out some foamies in Frosty's gallery.
mnfrosty
Teardrop Inspector

Postby mikeschn » Tue Jul 21, 2015 3:37 pm

I wouldn't kill it off like that. I would go back to the old title, and I can make a sticky out of it. It's certainly the most important thread in the foamie section!

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Re: Thrifty Alternatives ..Building Foam Campers

Postby GPW » Wed Jul 22, 2015 2:44 pm

It's just so long :frightened: .... Folks kept complaining about having to read such an Epic adventure , along with pet pictures and recipes ... :lol: So have Fun !!! Let it ride so to speak ... :D
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Wolffarmer » Wed Jul 22, 2015 2:50 pm

If it wasn't so long I would go in it and delete my straying from topic. But.............................
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Wed Jul 22, 2015 2:58 pm

But that's the colorful part !!! Call it literary character development... 8)
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Wolffarmer » Wed Jul 22, 2015 3:05 pm

And we are characters :oops:
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Foamies