Not sure it gets any simpler than this...

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Re: Not sure it gets any simpler than this...

Postby TJinPgh » Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:50 pm

Steve, thanks for the response.

With respect to the width. I have a pretty good futon mattress that I intend to use. So, I figured that the actual interior build width would be the length of the mattress. Probably a bit more than 6' as I think the length is listed at 74". Not sure there's much point in going any wider than the length of the mattress.

Regarding overhang support. The trailer frame is 4' wide. I'm debating whether or not I should build the base out to 5' or not. 4' is simpler. 5' may be better, but is it necessary. Not sure. All that said, my question is, if I make the bed base permanent (as opposed to having it removable to put a table or something in), then isn't the front 54" supported by that? If so, then that takes the support past the mid point.

The rear corner would be supported by the rear wall. On the left side of the trailer, the overhang should be supported by the cabinet build. So, I would think the only area that might be at issue is on the right side in that 42" stretch where I have a seat.

If my ply is thick enough there, I'm thinking I can anchor it on the inside and keep it from sagging.

I, ultimately, won't know for sure until it's build. If bracing is needed, then it can certainly be added.

Thoughts?
-TJ
TJinPgh
The 300 Club

Postby linuxmanxxx » Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:10 pm

Yeah I think if you go 6 1/2 foot the extra 2 inches will give a little play if you had to replace the mattress at any time sorry extra 4". I didn't have any sag until after I finally skinned the outside of the upper walls and I used really light formica so didn't take much weight to get it to sag. You can use the bed attachment to strengthen the front but you might want to just brace it and make the bed lift up for ease of storage and more room for seating inside. Kinda a quasi murphy bed. Approach your whole design and build with questions of if I do this what problems might it present or what solutions might it add and then work them in your head before you build and your build will go much quicker and smoother and give you the best bang for your buck. Try and prevent the "I wish I'd have done it this way" by lots of design and review in your head. My best design function ideas come in shower and potty time good times that you can ponder things with low stress lol.
linuxmanxxx
500 Club

Postby TJinPgh » Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:24 pm

I'm curious, what did you use for the base of your overhangs and what thickness?

I'm wondering if, instead of bracing it on the outside, the overhang can be somewhat cantelevered from the inside.

Sort of like this...

If the outside needs braced to keep it from sagging, then the inside will likely need it as well. I'm wondering if I can accomplish both at the same time. Use the bracing to support the seat on the inside to cantelever the outside and keep it from sagging.

While I get your point about being able to raise the bed, I doubt I'll do it. I think it will be stronger if it's a solid piece. And, there is a lot more construction that goes into making it lift up than not.

It's something I might consider on a future build. On this one, though, I'm trying to keep the overall design as simple as possible.
-TJ
TJinPgh
The 300 Club

Postby linuxmanxxx » Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:55 pm

I simply used fence solid metal 5" L brackets on outside drilled and bolted through my 1x 2 in the wall. Supplied enough one on reach side to fix the sag
linuxmanxxx
500 Club

Postby TJinPgh » Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:05 pm

so there are no angle supports then.

wonder if that would work with a longer overhang.
-TJ
TJinPgh
The 300 Club

Postby linuxmanxxx » Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:32 pm

As long as you put it on the outside and bolt through wood on both L sides just get longer and they would work fine.
linuxmanxxx
500 Club

Postby TJinPgh » Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:10 pm

Just for clarification, you're talking about using these....

...or are you talking about something else?
-TJ
TJinPgh
The 300 Club

Postby linuxmanxxx » Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:59 pm

Yes that is what I'm talking about. Lowes has then in many sizes in the fence hardware section.
linuxmanxxx
500 Club

Postby TJinPgh » Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:30 am

I wouldn't have thought that they would be strong enough without any angle bracing.

At any rate, they're cheap and easy enough to attach so they're worth using regardless. I could probably put them on both sides of the overhang for additional support.
-TJ
TJinPgh
The 300 Club

Postby linuxmanxxx » Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:28 am

The longer they get the beefier they get. I'm thinking about doing my standie with all cedar sticks in the wall and check the weight after. Big weight distended in it and the white lumber.
linuxmanxxx
500 Club

Previous

Return to Foamies