Outer skins

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Re: Outer skins

Postby Gizzmo » Sat Dec 21, 2013 9:12 am

Thanks GPW
will do
I intend to get through that whole thread if it kills me :frightened:
Can't work on any thing until it gets warn out any way may as well spend my time learning :thumbsup:
Got nearly a foot of snow and no heated shop :thumbdown:
Gizzmo
Teardrop Advisor

Postby GPW » Sat Dec 21, 2013 10:58 am

“ I intend to get through that whole thread if it kills me “ ... Dude, it’s not That bad :duh: .... :lol: :lol: :lol:
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby oakinteriors1 » Sat Dec 21, 2013 4:41 pm

About the only time I see canvas on a canoe is when it is laid over wood...The nylon and poly would be overkill...like putting fiberglass cloth over a piece of thick plywood...
Has anyone tested canvas , coated like you people do, without a backer to see if water does seep through it...just wondering in case I would cover the wood top in a fabric and keep the woody sides....I know several coats of spar urethane is water tight...
oakinteriors1
Silver Donating Member

Postby georgiadawg » Sat Dec 21, 2013 7:17 pm

Is a skin even necessary? Bond all the joints/seams with the fancy glue, or even put the glue over the foam like a primer... then sand... then

... sanded and painted and sanded and painted and epoxied/enameled/clear-coated the paint, on top of the foam?
georgiadawg
Teardrop Inspector

Postby KCStudly » Sat Dec 21, 2013 7:27 pm

The foam itself is fairly fragile and doesn't do well against concentrated loads (gouges, dents, scratches, etc.). The paint is not much better in this regard, especially when applied on a "soft" substrate.

The canvas acts like a network of fibers, similar to fiberglass weave, giving structure to the bonding agent (glue, paint, block filler, etc.).

Together they make a reinforced composite "shell" that protects and makes the foam rigid.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby georgiadawg » Sat Dec 21, 2013 8:12 pm

So in the event a piece of gravel pops a hole in it, couldn't you just patch it with some type of fiber fill and glue, sand it, prime and repaint? You have to patch and repair canvas gravel pops too, right?
georgiadawg
Teardrop Inspector

Postby georgiadawg » Sat Dec 21, 2013 8:41 pm

What about screen? The kind you have on the porch. That would provide a matrix for the glue too, like you are talking about with the fibers of the canvas.
georgiadawg
Teardrop Inspector

Postby KCStudly » Sat Dec 21, 2013 9:24 pm

I plan on bringing aluminum foil adhesive tape, like that used in HVAC duct work, as an emergency repair kit item; perhaps some scrap canvas, glue and a chip brush.

If the fibers in the canvas aren't damaged but just dented, the iron trick or hot sun can expand the foam back out, then just a touch up with paint could do the trick.

IIRC the screen was tried, but the fiber to void ratio was too low and the stiffness too high to wrap around corners well.
KC

Poet Creek Or Bust
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby Gizzmo » Sun Dec 22, 2013 8:38 am

I understand that a lot of you view these foamies as just a hard tent,
but what if......?????

Money wasn't my main concern ( it doesn't bother me me if I have an extra 2 or 3 hundred bucks in it ,if it is something that will last and I don't have to fool with it much when I am done - I.e. Use an iron or boiling water to repair with after it gets dinged.

Better quality product that adds very little weight

Still easily repairable

The ease of construction is not any greater

At least that is my thought, I too have to work and save for these types of projects, but I want to build with the best quality I can without much weight at a reasonable price, I just don't want to mess with it once I'm done

Isn't that really what we are all looking for???? ;) ;) ;)

Not looking for the thriftiest , looking for the highest quality without sacrificing much weight at a reasonable price.

Again to quote Mike : the quality will remain long after the. Price is forgotten

Please. Not trying to offend anyone, just my thoughts on it. :D
Gizzmo
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Gizzmo » Sun Dec 22, 2013 8:43 am

GPW
you are right not that bad just looooooooonnnng :lol:
Gizzmo
Teardrop Advisor

Postby KCStudly » Sun Dec 22, 2013 10:02 am

Gizzmo, do the epoxy and glass fabric like Mel (atahoekid) did.
KC

Poet Creek Or Bust
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Sun Dec 22, 2013 10:32 am

QUOTE: “ I want to build with the best quality I can without much weight at a reasonable price, I just don't want to mess with it once I'm done “ and " something that will last and I don't have to fool with it much when I am done” ...

This alone is the reason I’d go with the simple canvas skin... Good canvas over foam is durable , easy to apply and once painted can sit outside with Zero maintenance, as demonstrated by my little Foamie’ #1 that has been outside in some Nasty weather for 2+ years now unattended , the only thing it needs is a hinge replacement , just because I chose the wrong one in the first place..
Repairs (patches) if needed would be elementary ... Great Stuff as a filler , serrated kitchen knife for trimming , sandpaper, TB2, canvas scraps, and paint ..... You could even make a little repair kit for on the road , just to have on hand .... :thinking:

Considering all the possible options, we chose 18oz. canvas for the FoamStream , a trailer we’ll need to depend on in the future , and that canvas has provided a nice Thick solid surface skin , very resistant to everything . Although a larger trailer , I was able to put the canvas skin on by myself , and without making too much a mess...

JMHO ...
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Mary C » Mon Dec 23, 2013 12:28 am

georgiadawg, the thread gizzmo mentioned is the Thrifty thread it was the first one written and there are lots of information and lots of experiments, and discussions and a lot of nonsense waiting for the experiments to dry. I know it is a long thread but ........ there is lots of information and lots of discussions about what is typically asked and the why of it all. So far I have made 4 calls to manufacturers and one to a wood worker friend. I suggest you go to the meat dept and ask for 4 meat trays or buy some foam plates in the picnic isle or just save the to go plate and use the top. Now run expierments for yourself. put some wood glue on the foam plate and put a piece of cotton material on it, let it dry, two days or so(might take three in this humidity) compare the one you did to an unfinished piece of foam. Now find some left over water based wall paint and give it two or three coats letting it dry in between. a light sanding wont hurt. Now what do you think? Leave it outside for a couple of weeks and check it out. I just couldn't believe it either.

Mary C. :lady:
Mary C
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Gizzmo » Mon Dec 23, 2013 8:09 am

Thanks you guys
Sorry for being a pain in the butt, I'm up to page 255 now and some of that stuff is starting to get answered. I guess I put the cart before the horse so to speak, Just to inpatient I guess. :D

I do have a couple questions though;
I know that this has been covered in the mega thread, And I usually take notes but somehow I missed this.
I know everyone uses waterbase stuff but do use acrylic or latex paint? primer?
Do you add a Hardner to it at all?
What was the verdict on that 3M contact cement?

Mary
I have already run several experiments with TB2 and foam, and the only way I could get it to stick to my satisfaction is to rough up the foam with a wire brush lightly. Witch really isn't that big of a deal, but still wondering if there isn't another way? Not at all afraid to run experiments as I have plenty of time. It's -12 below right now :shock:

GPW
that 18 oz canvas that you used on your foam stream where did you get that? and was that made of cotton or some other material?
Gizzmo
Teardrop Advisor

Postby KCStudly » Mon Dec 23, 2013 8:54 am

Gizzmo wrote:What was the verdict on that 3M contact cement?

For laminating wood to foam, IMO it was expensive and not worth the extra cost. I could not find it locally, so that was an added deterrent. If I had it to do over I would just use the TB2 rolled on evenly in a thin coat. My test using 1 ft x 2 ft blue foam, luan, and TB2 showed that it works fine.
KC

Poet Creek Or Bust
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Foamies