Thrifty Alternatives ..Building Foam Campers

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Postby eaglesdare » Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:25 am

Miriam C. wrote::thumbsup: I absolutely agree that this thread should be maintained. Good stuff here!

If I move the build parts they will go away from this thread. And it might be too big to move from....The board has limits I think. :lol: 8)

i started a build journal. might not have every detail and/or question/problem there. but i am working on it.
Louella
May the foam be with you.
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Build Thread

Postby lm248 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:30 am

I realize that I'm new here,,,,
But on another build journel the poster put an index in the first post????
I've read so many build journels that I can't keep track of who did that.
I don't know if you can go back and edit that first post.
But if someone can that might be a way to help someone search out the info they need.
Like me. :roll: :roll:
Les
lm248
Teardrop Builder

Postby GPW » Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:48 am

Funny , this thread started out as a cheap waterproofing thread ... :roll: ... and so we have "wandered" :o
Shall we post a link to Eagles Build thread in the #1 post ... I think we can do that ... Maybe !!!
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby eaglesdare » Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:14 am

did it? i thought it was about building cheap and non toxic.

you started this thread gpw, so i think you can go back and edit your thread, if you want to add the link to a build thread. but i have it in my build journal to here. so maybe we could put on in the first post to my. visa versa type thing.

not sure what kind of mood you were in that day you started this, but i am so thankful. i had been searching and thinking and stressing on a build for myself for a couple years. but once i had my first post in this thread it was all history from that point on. this was perfect for me.

but i can't wait to see yours! oh btw, you might have already mentioned it, but do you think if i put gesso on that will stick? i really want to add a design to mine. but because of the paint and stuff on mine nothing is sticking`.`
Louella
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:42 am

Well that too .... I believe I was thinking about wood Rot at the time and a way to get around it ... It was either encapsulate the wood entirely , or just use something else that wouldn't Rot ... :o Sorry, I live in an extremely DAMP climate ... Big gullywashers coming through all the time ... So Rot is a BIG concern here...
And then there's that Thrifty business ... I'm sure we ALL can appreciate that , otherwise we'd be driving 400K Motor coaches ... and missing out on all the FUN !!! :D

I think you have to use the same kind of paint you used for the base ... Otherwise give the surface a LIGHT sanding in the area you want to paint ... Enamels should readily stick ... I use "One-Shot" sign enamel for decorating , but that's rather pricy ... Sticks to glass though ... and you don't have to clear over it ... :roll: What kind of paint did you use on the base coat ??? (brand, etc.etc. all on the label... ) BTW , did you read the label ... what about re-coat time ??

Just post the link to the build thread and I'll post in in #1... Or did I miss it ??? :o
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:51 am

Found it , linked it ... :thumbsup:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby eaglesdare » Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:55 am

Louella
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:06 am

Thanks Eagle , build thread's SUPER !!!! ;)
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby CARS » Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:53 am

OK you foamer's. I am having trouble finding 1/8" ply luan. It's either travel a couple hours one way to find some or go with an alternative covering.

I am going to insulate between the spars anyway, so is there an epoxy or fiberglass resin that wont "eat" the foam??

I know it's in this thread somewhere but I really don't want to skim 56 pages ;)

I am thinking fiberglass cloth soaked with something that will stick to my (soon to be) CPES soaked ply and spars. The exterior is going to painted with automotive primer/paint.
Chris'
Autobody
Restoration
Service

CARS
The 300 Club

Postby eaglesdare » Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:09 pm

sorry` cars. i can't answer that one. i used glue, gorilla glue and titebond 2 glue. i wanted to stay away from what you are describing.
Louella
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:36 pm

Alternative covering ??? Like what ??? Seems the best thing to use for fiberglass cloth is Epoxy over foam ... Polyester resin will melt it ... Best test a small piece of scrap First ...
I suppose you'd better do a good job of it , because the solvents in the Auto paint will also melt the foam .... The reason Eagle and I are staying away from that ... ;) Save the Mess, Smell, and Poison!! :o
I believe you could attach your Fiberglass cloth with T2... It will hold as we've done/tested that a number of times on models ... The strength is in the fiberglass cloth , not the resin ...

Now about those Bears .... I've used a material called Spectra before ... Looks like fiberglass cloth but impossible to cut with scissors ... TOUGH STUFF... Makes FG look like tissue paper... On the same order as Kevlar , but even Stronger... Alas , it is Pricy , But i think it would slow down a Bear , a bit anyway ... Anybody up for testing this in Bear country ... we just gotta' know ... ??? http://www.warwickmills.com/Spectra.asp ... 2godlDCGGQ
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Wimperdink » Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:26 pm

Saw this and first thought that hit my mind... why hasn't anyone built a Lego Teardrop? glue the bricks together and the walls should be solid and rot free. :)

(hey someone somewhere said "foam? no way!)
Image You know a man is on the level if his bubble is in the middle.
Wimperdink
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Wimperdink » Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:30 pm

My bad. Its been done.

Now to full scale. :twisted:
Wimperdink
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby eaglesdare » Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:59 pm

now that would be cool. but i am sure it would be way expensive. i bet way more than what i have invested in my foamie.```
Louella
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby Wimperdink » Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:15 pm

eaglesdare wrote:now that would be cool. but i am sure it would be way expensive. i bet way more than what i have invested in my foamie.```

I believe your right.... I went to source bulk lego blocks after posting that... They are pretty expensive for lil hunks of plastic. Probably heavy when all is said and done too.

I was watching a show once that was a group of engineers holding what looked like american idol for inventors. The inventor with the best idea according to the judges got help in producing his product and getting it on the market. One of the ideas that was a finalist was someone out of florida that was making big lego blocks that people could use to build their own buildings/homes They were about 12" x 12" each and made with a fire retardant composite material. He demonstrated hurricanes wouldn't touch them amongst a multitude of other situations. They were light weight and had to be tied down. He had strips of glue to lay between each set of blocks to weatherproof. It was a great idea but I think someone else beat him out.
His sales pitch was the speed in which a structure could be built vs standard building methods and how they could be used in disaster situations for temp housing cheap and effective.

Sorry that was long. :oops:
Wimperdink
1000 Club
1000 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Foamies