Thrifty Alternatives ..Building Foam Campers

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Postby GPW » Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:50 pm

Dink , I can see that ... sorta' :roll: Image
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Conestoga » Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:18 pm

i love the lego camper idea, but yeah i bet a lego model would cost nearly as much as a full-size foamie.

so..what about trying a build using those deck planks that are some sort of composite plastics.
found at your nearest building supplies mega-mart.

or..hey this would be cool - like a plastic log cabin..LOL....
PVC pipe/conduit, the gray stuff for housing electrical.
since it's supposedly UV stabilized.
drill holes in it and threaded rod it together.
i'd say inch&a half diameter?
Conestoga
Donating Member

Postby Wimperdink » Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:05 pm

Conestoga wrote:i love the lego camper idea, but yeah i bet a lego model would cost nearly as much as a full-size foamie.

so..what about trying a build using those deck planks that are some sort of composite plastics.
found at your nearest building supplies mega-mart.

or..hey this would be cool - like a plastic log cabin..LOL....
PVC pipe/conduit, the gray stuff for housing electrical.
since it's supposedly UV stabilized.
drill holes in it and threaded rod it together.
i'd say inch&a half diameter?

Sorry GPW I felt kinda duh when I saw your profile pic and realized you had that up long ago. :)

Conestoga, That composite decking is HEAVY. Way heavier than normal wood and twice the price. The pvc log cabin thing would be cool though. Or if you had access to bamboo poles at a decent price or even growing natural. It would pose some interesting challenges around door frames and windows but original look.
Image You know a man is on the level if his bubble is in the middle.
Wimperdink
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby GPW » Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:13 am

That deck framing might make a good floor ... Wouldn't rot like plywood ...The extra weight would probably go unnoticed on a Foamie ... My Tiny CT has a floor made of planks ... covered over inside with thin ply ... :thinking:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby eaglesdare » Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:17 am

i don't know what stuff you are talking about. :cry: but my mind is going crazy with different shapes for the ttt foamie. i think i will be starting a new one. not yet, but the wheels are turning. since they are so lightwieght and my baby car can tow it.

oh hmmm, i think i would love to have removeable tears. could change them out as the mood hits or change them out for different seasons or holidays. could have each one have a different theme.

ok i am done. :lol:
Louella
May the foam be with you.
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:25 am

Eagle , the expensive part is the trailer itself .... The shell is relatively Cheap, and light enough to be changed by a couple people ... Maybe just use the same bolt pattern on the floor ... ???
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby eaglesdare » Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:02 am

oh yeah. just build them on a floor and could just change out the whole thing. bolt downs would be easy. might make for good fall builds. so many possiblities. just wished i had the money to do everything i want to do. :lol:
Louella
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:22 am

QUOTE: "just wished i had the money to do everything i want to do." I think if we took a poll , we'd find Everyone in complete agreement on that ... :thumbsup:

You could even put wing nuts on the bolts for a quick Nascar style changeover... Many possibilities ... :thinking:

Building the second one , you have the "Luxury" of experience , having done it before , you'll know the sequence you prefer... such as covering the insides before assembly ... That does make things MUCH easier ... ;) I saw the pics ... :o
You know , this is actually not much different from regular TD building where the inside is done first ... :roll: Makes sense huh ??
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:55 am

So Eagle , how are you planning to decorate the one you have ?? .... not the paint , but all the little "cosmetic" stuff ??? It's the "finishing touches" that make all the difference , once you get a Sturdy structure... Which it appears you have now ... :thumbsup:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby eaglesdare » Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:18 am

well i think i would like to take the wood off that is showing and stain it, then some spar. i am not too sure i love the naked wood look.

those seams are bugging me. so i am thinking of long strips of canvas. make pretty seams already of them and t2 down. then paint them a different color. or maybe i will paint them first then glue down.
do you have any better suggestions?

need to trim more excess canvas off from underneath.

the doors are still giving me some thought provoking moments also.

the inside, i just told my son he could paint it. i told him i would like to see a design on paper first. so i really have no idea what the inside will be like.

but am thinking about adding some shelving above the head space. gonna go back to the cut up tent and see if i still have those little net things that hold you small items. would like to add those to each side of the tear wall. those are great for throwing your keys into.

sad as this sounds, but i have had a few nice days here and i can't get myself back out to the tear to do anything. right now i feel so tired. rain has been called for the last couple of days and i have it tarped up. but no rain has hit. calling for it today, so we'll see if we get it. but perhaps once we are sure of no rain for a couple of days i will get back to it.
Louella
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:52 am

Eagle , you've been through a Lot lately .... No wonder you're tired ... :o

But this will give you a little time to relax and contemplate your trailercosmetics ... :thinking:

Seems (excuse the pun) that the only seams that are apparent are the side ones and the offset one on the roof ... Now seeing that you're using the straps to keep the TD from floating away .. I'd get some THICK canvas and carefully cut out two strips wide enough to accommodate the straps and then some (good time to use those pinking shears ) ... Then you'd have a perfectly Logical reason for them being there .. strap protectors ;) Painted in a contrasting color (perhaps a Leather color or the interior color of your car ) it would be a cool and Practical accent ... (for you ladies , like they do on those purses... you know All about that :roll: ) That would take care of the roof , and you could use the straps to hold the back hatch down too (as in a stagecoach ) ... Nobody would know the other seam was there ... except you and me , and a couple thousand readers... :o
Now for the side seems , My idea is to get some of thet belt webbing from the yard goods store ... It would easily conform to the profile edges without distorting , and just glued down over the old seams and painted too ... Simple , Thrifty ... The main objective...
Note: I did look at some vinyl/chrome trim strips for autos , but as Nice as that stuff was , it was a bit pricy ... :shock: I think the webbing gives a better bang for the buck ... It's essentially just more canvas eh and would reinforce this "edge" area even more !!! :thumbsup:
And then you need a drip rail over the doors , all the rain you're getting ...
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby eaglesdare » Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:17 am

no time for being tired. gotta start making cupcakes and cakes for friday. gotta 4 `yr old's bday. ` then its easter` and `all that goes into that, the eggs and `hiding them, baskets`, dinner`.` then i have the 12 yr olds` bday.` then `one week later is the 11 yrs old bday.

never time for rest. :lol:

sorry for the w`eird symbols a`gain. i rea`lly hate this` put`er. ` `
Louella
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:33 am

Oh Right !!! Easter .... No rest for the weary eh !! ;) How about some TD decorated Easter Eggs ??? That would be cool ...

Cupcakes , Yum !!! You know we'll want pics of those too , and maybe a recipe ... ;)
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby eaglesdare » Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:49 am

OK NO PROBLEMS ON THE PICS. BUT AS FAR AS RECEIPES GOES, JUST OPEN A BOX OF CAKE MIX AND DO THE CUPCAKE RECEIPE. LOL
NO HOMEMADE STUFF, NO TIME FOR THAT, BUT I CAN DECORATE PRETTY WELL.

AND NO I AM NOT YELLING, WELL I AM, BUT AT THE COMPUTER, NOT YOU. NOW I CAN'T GET THE CAPS OFF. AND WHEN I DO I GET ONLY THE WEIRD SYMBOL THINGIE. SO PLEASE BARE WITH THIS PUTER AND ITS WEIRDNESS.

GPW, YOU LIKE SPIDERMAN? THAT IS THE THEME FOR THE 4 YR OLD'S PARTY. I MIGHT BE CRAZY BY THE TIME I GET DONE DOING A FEW DOZEN WEB DESIGNS.
Louella
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:24 am

Sure, Spidey's Cool !!! webbing is just some lines ... er, not like belt webbing of course ... should be Fun !!! :D
GPW
Gold Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Foamies