Thrifty Alternatives ..Building Foam Campers

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Postby starleen2 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:45 am

After reading the foamie build thread, I must say that I'm impressed. Being an upholster in a former profession, I have an idea/ suggestion: If you are going to sew a seam to make the canvas wide enough - then why not make it like a very tight fitting slip cover with the sides attached - kinda like a seat cover. That would eliminate a lot seam work? Reinforcement strips could be glued on before the actual fitting of the top.. A good example would be a convertible top or vinyl top on a older car. They are form fitting and IMO - would eliminate a lot of frustration and work. However, this may not be a possibility for everyone. Even the simplistic approach works - Nice Build!
starleen2
5th Teardrop Club

Postby GPW » Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:55 am

S2, like a big Teardrop Cozy .. ??? Covering would be as easy as putting your sock on .... well sorta', just a bigger sock eh ....hahaha ... That would be really Neat if you're capable of such advanced work ...

After reading this and being an upholsterer in a former life , you have any more Cool suggestions ... we appreciate all the Pro help we can get !!! :thumbsup: :D
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Miriam C. » Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:12 am

:thinking: you could do this! Just tack up your fabric, and sew it inside out to get your basic shell. A curved needle would allow for close fitting. Just remember that when it is turned out the sides will reverse so don't make cuts for vents and such until you have it right side up.

You could finish with a machine and iron edges to the side!
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby starleen2 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:30 am

Miriam C. wrote::thinking: you could do this! Just tack up your fabric, and sew it inside out to get your basic shell. A curved needle would allow for close fitting. Just remember that when it is turned out the sides will reverse so don't make cuts for vents and such until you have it right side up.

You could finish with a machine and iron edges to the side!

Exactly! :thumbsup: Tacks would work well to hold the canvas to the foam until all the stitch work is done
starleen2
5th Teardrop Club

Postby eaglesdare » Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:35 am

starleen2 wrote:After reading the foamie build thread, I must say that I'm impressed. Being an upholster in a former profession, I have an idea/ suggestion: If you are going to sew a seam to make the canvas wide enough - then why not make it like a very tight fitting slip cover with the sides attached - kinda like a seat cover. That would eliminate a lot seam work? Reinforcement strips could be glued on before the actual fitting of the top.. A good example would be a convertible top or vinyl top on a older car. They are form fitting and IMO - would eliminate a lot of frustration and work. However, this may not be a possibility for everyone. Even the simplistic approach works - Nice Build!

funny you mention this. we thought about it a while back. actually we were thinking of doing a couple, make them each a different theme for the different seasons, or holidays. LOL
Louella
May the foam be with you.
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:08 pm

Convertible TD covers ...Hmmm??? :thinking: Like mood rings ... Think of that !!! :o You could have one for every festive occasion ... like for Easter , one with the Bunny Rabbit on it , surrounded by Peeps... 8) Christmas would be like Santa's sleigh, The Great Pumpkin on Halloween .. Pick a Holiday , any Holiday ... Too COOL !!! 8) May be a bit impractical , but Cool none the less...

Ps.. Hunting Season ... Camo Cover ... :D
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Fri Apr 22, 2011 6:49 am

Here's a tip : If you have some foam that's dented , try pouring some boiling water on it .... it will pop right back out ,good as new... :thumbsup:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby swampjeep » Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:56 am

I have read thru this very long thread, and it is great, I hope to try this out for a build sometime, but too many other projects that I must complete first LOL.

There is SOOOO much good info here, like the fixing a dent in foam, but unfotunately it may all get lost do to the length of this thread, I think I read that bit about boiling water 3-4 times here but I'm not about to try finding it again, and that may be the case with much of this info.

Thanks though, and Eagle, I think your foamy came out great. I like the Idea of accents to blend the seam too, I think it would look great and hide the seam as was mentioned before.

Thanks to all who contributed to this thread. If/when I get to my build, I'll be sure to document, post, and link to it in this thread.

My first build may end up being a play house for my daughter build with these techniques, then I'll have some expeirience before I build the camper :D
swampjeep
Teardrop Master

Postby GPW » Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:14 am

SJ, please forgive us if we've repeated things ... we're Old and it's hard to remember what was said 200 posts ago :o
Playhouse sounds like a Fun project and a great way to get some experience with the materials , although none of this is very complicated ... and that playhouse won't rot like a wooden one would eventually do ... better make it as a lawnmower shed too , for after the child out grows it ... It will be around for a Long time :roll:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby eaglesdare » Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:14 pm

thanks swampjeep. like your name btw. i think a playhouse would be way cool also.

ditto what gpw said, please forgive us if we repeated ourselves. some of us are not spring chickens anymore. lol

got the cupcakes decorated and the individual cake done. decor is up. will give pics as soon as this computer will let me.
Louella
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby swampjeep » Fri Apr 22, 2011 2:31 pm

Oh trust me, I'm no spring chicken either, even though I have a 1yo daughter LOL, I wasn't really complaining avout the repeats, it's just showing how easy it is to get lost up in such a long thread.

:lol:

take care and thanks again
swampjeep
Teardrop Master

Postby GPW » Fri Apr 22, 2011 4:00 pm

Er, we just had a Lot to talk about, things to work out ... :oops: It just developed , and here we are ... At least it's all in one place ...mostly :roll:
It is a radical departure from standard building practices ... If I could have made one post and it would have been accepted , i certainly would have done so ... this was a lot of work for me , and I don't even have mine built yet ... :oops:
Big Thanks to Eagle for "proofing " the design ... she did an Excellent job !!! :applause:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Fri Apr 22, 2011 4:03 pm

Maybe, since proven, if it was made into a Sticky , we wouldn't have to post anymore and we could all just get back to TD building ... :roll:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby eaglesdare » Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:54 pm

WHAT no more posting? we've been at this for months. i don't know what i will do if i don't have this thread to check a million times a day.

now mine was a 'rough" foamie. we need to see a more professional foamie. i am counting on you for that one gpw!
Louella
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby swampjeep » Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:12 pm

stop? what? we still need to see yours once you get to it :D
swampjeep
Teardrop Master

PreviousNext

Return to Foamies