Thrifty Alternatives ..Building Foam Campers

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Postby lm248 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:36 pm

:( :( :(
[quote]i don't know what i will do if i don't have this thread to check a million times a day.

I agree I practically live on this forum,,,,,
There is so much good information here,,,,,
Ive reread this thread twice now,,,
Les
lm248
Teardrop Builder

Postby GPW » Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:45 pm

DON'T PANIC!!! We'll keep it going ... we may have to add a speed reading course on the side ... :o
Well I guess I'll just have to build the TD in the Studio , even if I Have to move everything to get it out ... The old place needs a bit of a swish and a flick anyway ... and the band will just have to squish themselves in for rehearsals.. Shouldn't take too long once we get started ... everything's fitted and I WILL take Eagles advice and cover the inside whilst still in pieces.. :thumbsup: At least I won't have to worry about glue getting in my hair ... I have none ... hair that is ... :o :lol:

Thanks for everyones interest ... I really hope something Good comes out of this for everybody ... :D

Also a Big THANKS to Big Mike for letting us use his valuable space here ... :thumbsup: 8)
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby swampjeep » Sat Apr 23, 2011 6:59 am

yes, thanks Mike! :thumbsup:

and I'm looking forward to that speed reading course :lol:
swampjeep
Teardrop Master

Postby eaglesdare » Sat Apr 23, 2011 7:16 am

well sorry to report but hubby will not weight it today. it is drizzling and he has, well he wants to work on his mower first. the grass is getting out of hand here. and we can't mow the whole yard, because we have a killdeer on a nest. so that 1/2 of the yard is off limits.

i will continue to bug him til he does it, or i will get with the neighbor during the week. hubby gets on my case about having the neighbor help me out. but i only get his help when hubby doesn't help me.

anyway, patience a little while longer.

gpw: since you have your pieces. start the canvasing of the inside. it will make life a whole ton easier. it will be neater also.
Louella
May the foam be with you.
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby Wolffarmer » Sat Apr 23, 2011 7:53 am

Crap, dreamed last night I was building a foamy. I gotta stop reading this.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Randy
"these guys must be afraid of the dark"
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Sat Apr 23, 2011 8:14 am

Shucks !!! I was waiting for today so we could find out the real facts about the weight ... Darn !!! :oops:

So one bird is gonna' stop the whole show ??? Very "Humane" there Eagle !!! (sounds like something I'd do ) :roll:

And what's wrong with neighbor helping neighbor??? Out here in the woods , we've developed a "community" where we actually try to help each other... Those who grow food spread it around ... those who Cook (like me ) give it back !!! When a tree falls across the road, we all get out there to help... We celebrate life , together !!! :D Before I moved to the woods , we lived in a subdivision , where I didn't even know the names of my neighbors next door .. This is much better , and I get free fresh yard eggs every week ... when the hens are laying ... :thumbsup:

Wolf , me too ... :lol:

Sure I'm going to put the cloth on the inside pieces first ... I already dreamed about it ... :o :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby eaglesdare » Sat Apr 23, 2011 8:40 am

its not just 1 bird. its a momma bird with her 4 eggs. so its a family. :D

i agree, neighbors should help each other. but i think hubby gets jealous that the neighbor helps me out. he is a guy neighbor, a mister mom. lol but hubby threw a fit about the guy taking me to get my wood. but if the neighbor did not do it then no one would have. hubby well i love him and all, but he is not one to put what i want first. so if he doesn't help, then i find alternative ways. :thinking: we live in a what you call a subdivision. we don't know 1/2 there names either. we all have at least 3 plus acreas, we actually have almost 5. so we are seperated from each other. its not bad. but we get eggs from another neighbor. yummy duck eggs are the best.

i was looking forward to today also. i sort of knew though he would not do it. but i was hoping. i will ask him again tomorrow, although i think the weight station is closed on sunday, well heck forget tomorrow it is easter. so keep your fingers crossed that i can get him to do it next saturday. if that doesn't happen then the following week i will get the neighbor.
Louella
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby eaglesdare » Sat Apr 23, 2011 8:46 am

Wolffarmer wrote:Crap, dreamed last night I was building a foamy. I gotta stop reading this.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Randy

:lol: get to it! lets see yours.

i was thinking about that second build. i know, pretty scary huh. anyway, just how tall do you think we could go before there is too much wind on it? was wondering about a standy. i know we chatted about this in the thread somewhere. i suppose if i did one shaped like a scotty it might be ok, also if we put some wood braces, it would/might be okay also? this would mean we would not have one solid piece of foam, so would that make a difference. what do you think?
..i need to rig up a work area, where i could work on something and let it sit til more money comes in and more time to be had. but not have it all tarped up the whole time. that is a pita when i want to work on it, but its all tarped up. i have to figure things out. would love to start work on that second build. especially since i have the foam sitting out back. at least some foam.
..i guess maybe the first thing i need to get though is the floor wood.
Louella
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Sat Apr 23, 2011 9:06 am

Eagle , I think a Standy would be entirely possible using just foam and a minimum of wood ... much as you've done already !!! :thumbsup: Nice thing about the foam , if you need more strength , just use thicker foam ... How about a 4" thick sidewall with thin luan pre-glued on the inside , canvas/fabric outside ... That should be VERY Strong ... Twice as thick is Eight times stronger!! True !!! ;)
Gotta start with a floor , whether we use plywood or make a "sandwich" floor.. pros and cons to both ... :roll:

You know we can calculate the weight of the TD ...(scientific method) You know the shipping weight of your trailer alone ???

Ps even the wife noticed how much better the fresh yard eggs tasted... :D
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Sat Apr 23, 2011 9:09 am

Eagle , I think a Standy would be entirely possible using just foam and a minimum of wood ... much as you've done already !!! :thumbsup: Nice thing about the foam , if you need more strength , just use thicker foam ... How about a 4" thick sidewall with thin luan pre-glued on the inside , canvas/fabric outside ... That should be VERY Strong ... Twice as thick is Eight times stronger!! True !!! ;)
Gotta start with a floor , whether we use plywood or make a "sandwich" floor.. pros and cons to both ... :roll:

You know we can calculate the weight of the TD ...(scientific method) You know the shipping weight of your trailer alone ???

Ps even the wife noticed how much better the fresh yard eggs tasted... :D
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Sat Apr 23, 2011 9:14 am

Just a couple more thoughts on a Scotty or Ham shape ... The basic rounded shape forms essentially a "tube" which is basically very Rigid !! Take something like this shape and visualize that in Foam ... :thinking: Image

Pretty EASY huh !!! The foam being the homogenous material , we can just add on foam where we need it , again the skins being the strength , and the basic tube shape reinforcing all that .. Why heck , I'd even cross the bridge with it ... :o :lol:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby swampjeep » Sat Apr 23, 2011 9:26 am

eaglesdare wrote:well sorry to report but hubby will not weight it today. it is drizzling and he has, well he wants to work on his mower first. the grass is getting out of hand here. and we can't mow the whole yard, because we have a killdeer on a nest. so that 1/2 of the yard is off limits.

i will continue to bug him til he does it, or i will get with the neighbor during the week. hubby gets on my case about having the neighbor help me out. but i only get his help when hubby doesn't help me.

anyway, patience a little while longer.

gpw: since you have your pieces. start the canvasing of the inside. it will make life a whole ton easier. it will be neater also.

please excuse me if I'm out of line here, but you said you drove towing the foamy home from your trip right? why not hook it up and take it to the scale by yourself, or with your son?

I'm really curious of the weight too :thinking:
swampjeep
Teardrop Master

Postby vreihen » Sat Apr 23, 2011 10:33 am

GPW wrote:So one bird is gonna' stop the whole show ??? Very "Humane" there Eagle !!! (sounds like something I'd do ) :roll:

In the town where I live, we have had one bird holding up the construction of a new ball field in a town park for over a year. Last year, a state court ordered the town to not mow the park, so that the rare grass-nesting bird didn't get scared off. At least Eagle's husband didn't have a judge order him NOT to mow his lawn..... :lol:
vreihen
Teardrop Master

Postby eaglesdare » Sat Apr 23, 2011 10:47 am

vreihen wrote:
GPW wrote:So one bird is gonna' stop the whole show ??? Very "Humane" there Eagle !!! (sounds like something I'd do ) :roll:

In the town where I live, we have had one bird holding up the construction of a new ball field in a town park for over a year. Last year, a state court ordered the town to not mow the park, so that the rare grass-nesting bird didn't get scared off. At least Eagle's husband didn't have a judge order him NOT to mow his lawn..... :lol:

lol hubby might feel better if it was a judge ordering him not to mow.
Louella
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby eaglesdare » Sat Apr 23, 2011 10:52 am

GPW wrote:Just a couple more thoughts on a Scotty or Ham shape ... The basic rounded shape forms essentially a "tube" which is basically very Rigid !! Take something like this shape and visualize that in Foam ... :thinking: Image

Pretty EASY huh !!! The foam being the homogenous material , we can just add on foam where we need it , again the skins being the strength , and the basic tube shape reinforcing all that .. Why heck , I'd even cross the bridge with it ... :o :lol:

ok i love this shape! reminds me of the tab's and r-pods.

my trailer weight is 265. when trying to caluclate it remember there is 4 gallons of glue in there. 1 gallon paint. 1/2 gallon primer.
5x8 birch plywood floor. so far there is 2 pks of the canvas in it also. 10oz stuff. 1/2 wall bulk head, that flip up and out counter. and then those spars. maybe 6 of them? if you can approximate that should be pretty close to what it weighs.
Louella
eaglesdare
Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Foamies