Thrifty Alternatives ..Building Foam Campers

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Postby vreihen » Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:25 pm

I have read that some model airplane builders use a soldering *gun* (not iron) with a loop of wire in place of the tip to cut slots and pockets into foam for things like recessed servo bays. It seems like it should be more predictable than a hot-wire bow type of setup like you've drawn above for making repeatable cuts.....
vreihen
Teardrop Master

Postby GPW » Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:55 pm

V, that works too , but those guns get too hot and melt more than you want ... Tried that years ago ... the trick is to heat the wire "just enough" by "playing" the switch on and off ... tricky , but doable in a pinch ... I'm liking that dowel through idea more and more ... so Easy , and No hot wire thing to fool with at all ... :roll:

In the past we've Hot wired many foam wings , etc. for model planes , so it would be entirely possible to use a HW "bow" to cut out all the foam pieces , but you'd need a big template (or two) to run the wire along ... too much trouble for such a simple trailer build ...
I even had the idea of making up a CAD drawing , and cutting out all the TD pieces on his CNC machine ... which will cut a 4'X 8' sheet ... The cuts would be exact , but again too much extra trouble to bother with .. Unless I was making a bunch of them ... which if my buddy keeps trying to sell them , may be a possibility ... He's already got some orders,but I'm leaving that up to him ... Last thing I need is to start another business... retired and all ... :roll:
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:49 am

Just wondering about using fiberglass cloth in the high stress areas ... but just attached with the T2 , like/as we would attach the fabric ... The strength is in the fiberglass cloth , the resin just holds it on ... Would be an alternative on like the front bottom , where rocks may get kicked up ... Or maybe even on the roof , if you like to camp under trees... :o And it could go under the fabric , or just stand alone ... :thinking:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby lm248 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:31 am

But would the fiberglass be stronger than just fabric, If you use T2 to glue it on with????
If it's not stronger or more puncture resistant,
(not bear proof) 8) 8)
Would it be worth the extra money???
Just asking, :thinking: :thinking: :thinking:
Les
lm248
Teardrop Builder

Postby asorensen » Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:29 pm

ust wondering about using fiberglass cloth in the high stress areas ... but just attached with the T2 , like/as we would attach the fabric ... The strength is in the fiberglass cloth , the resin just holds it on ... Would be an alternative on like the front bottom ,

I haven't followed this thread at all but I caught this question.

Polyester resin will melt your foam. This is the resin most people associate with "fiberglass". The stinky kind.

No problem using epoxy resin instead.

Andy
asorensen
Teardrop Builder

Postby swampjeep » Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:40 pm

lm248 wrote:But would the fiberglass be stronger than just fabric, If you use T2 to glue it on with????
If it's not stronger or more puncture resistant,
(not bear proof) 8) 8)
Would it be worth the extra money???
Just asking, :thinking: :thinking: :thinking:
Les

well, I belive the mat used with fiberglass is used because of its strength, so I would guess it would be stronger then a thin painters canvas, or old sheet.

but I'm definately no expert on this :thinking:
swampjeep
Teardrop Master

Postby GPW » Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:18 pm

Probably wouldn't need much ... Just a piece here and there ... :thinking:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby mikeschn » Wed Apr 27, 2011 3:31 pm

GPW wrote:sorta' like this ???? Image

May be possible to use a standard trailer door ... another possibility , solves a few problems and you get a screen door too .. :thinking:

While that is certainly an option, I was hoping to get a little smaller than the one I have now. So if I leave it at 10' long, and just squish the height down to 5'... well I have to draw that up in cad to see if I like it.

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby GPW » Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:19 pm

Mike , I thought it was Cool like it was.... but we have to keep the wives happy ... :roll: I fully understand how that is ... ;)

Always interested in what you come up with ... :thumbsup:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby swampjeep » Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:38 pm

question for the experts of this "covered foam" construction method.

would the strength be compromised by using some type of covering on the top and sides that would not be a "wrap". Like a thin aluminum, vinyl, or even 1/16" or 1/8" laminate finish wood.

I'm thinking this would be easier to glue to the foam but if the stength is mostly in the shell that becomes sorta one piece once all the glue is dried into the cloth, then the lanimate coating would not work as well.

EDIT: someone pointed out other issues with alum (expantion) but I'm still curious of the main question... would this not have the strength without being a true wrap?
swampjeep
Teardrop Master

Postby GPW » Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:22 am

No experts here... :o
SJ, hard to say .. with a structure like this most of the stresses are on the edges ... so some "reinforcement" would be needed there... I did talk with the "RV guy" He had planned on making a Foamie with Al skin adhered directly to the foam .. don't know the details ... I'll have to check with him and report back ...
But I do know that wood or paneling will adhere to the foam very well , which is why I mentioned wood paneling on the inside (for the look )...
Maybe with some reinforcing fabric around the edges , then cover it with what you want ... anything's possible really ... but I really believe that the total fabric covering offers the best compromise between strength and "thriftiness" , and we know already that Eagle had much success with hers ... :thumbsup:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby lm248 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:05 am

For what it's worth,,,,, :D :D
My "plan" is to laminate luan to the "inside" of the foam, for some additional support.
Then once the shell is all completed.
I will cover the outside with fabric or fiberglass,,, or a combination of the two.. then paint.

Now to throw another "wrinkle" into the mix :oops: :oops:
I was talking to a guy at work about this forum and my project...
He has a backround in aviation,,,
And he asked the question,,,What about lift???
:shock: :shock: :shock: I don't have an answer,,,

With a very light trailer, freeway speeds, and the right shape.
Could this be an issue?????
Les
lm248
Teardrop Builder

Postby eaglesdare » Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:33 am

i am bY NO MEANS AN EXPERT. I TOOK WHAT GPW SUGGESTED AND RAN WITH IT. I HAVE NEVER BUILT ANYTHING. BUT I WILL GIVE YOU MY OPIONION. i will say now, that i am sorry about the caps and no caps. i am working on a non working computer, one that has a mind of its own.

but i do believe the strenght with this foam build is in the shell. my camper is strong. i would bet i could stand on top, but i am not 100% sure and will not test that. there is no need for me to do that.

i have already taken it out on a maiden voyage, 5 hours away from home, over a bridge. it tows great. no lift issue at all. now i never did hit 70 mph but did hit 60's. i did use a cinch strap on mine. mostly because i have a hatch issue. so using the strap ensured the hatch stays down.

i also do not have my inside finished. so i am not sure you need to wrap the inside for that strenght. but i do believe you need that outside wrapped. if you don't like the look of that canvas, you could cover the canvas with the alu or vinyle.
Louella
May the foam be with you.
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:42 am

Well, there ya' go ... we heard it from our resident expert (since she actually built/camped in one ) :thumbsup:
And revisiting the Thrifty business... I'd say (and I'm going out on a limb here ) that the way Eagle built hers , and a Foamie in general would be the Thriftiest way to build a good strong trailer , and probably ultra Light too (yet to be confirmed :roll: )

Lift .... I'm sure there IS some lift , but not enough area to be a problem ... A normal wing that size/area wouldn't lift my dog ... just consider the size of a hang glider wing to lift just one person ... either that or you'd have to drive pretty FAST ... well beyond normal speed limits ... which usually brings the Police and other problems first ...

ps. I'm still cleaning/clearing out my Studio .... coming along ... Hope to start my build SOON... I'll need it starting June 1..

Anybody need a 2000lb. Letterpress ?... it's blocking my exit ... :o
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby swampjeep » Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:49 am

thanks guys, I will plan to wrap my outer, but probably do luan or something else on the inside,

as for lift, I would think this would depend on just how light it is, if you were towing it with nothing inside, and next to no wood or other materials to the build then I think it would bounce around like an empty trailer, on a windy day might even have additional flopping, but unless you add wings I wouldnt' expexct it to "take off" on you :lol:

so my theory is if you've added any wood shelves, a mattress, a cooler or fridge (especially full), stove, clothes, other campign stuff... you wouldn't have to worry about this at all, which was sorta proven by Eagle going over bridges :thumbsup:
swampjeep
Teardrop Master

PreviousNext

Return to Foamies