Thrifty Alternatives ..Building Foam Campers

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Postby swampjeep » Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:31 pm

if I remember correct, it was a yugo that blew off the Big Mac, 1200lb vehicle in extremely high winds...
swampjeep
Teardrop Master

Postby GPW » Fri Apr 29, 2011 5:58 am

Hmmmmm?? Best stay away from those bridges in high winds ... maybe with any RV... or a Yugo ...

Ok we now have only two things to worry about .... High bridges in the wind , and Bears ... :o
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby RAYVILLIAN » Fri Apr 29, 2011 6:33 am

Does this seem funny to anyone but me? You spend all this time planning and building a super light Teardrop than worry about how much weight you need to add to keep it on the ground or to not be blown off high bridges. Why not just build a normal teardrop that weighed about 1000 lbs and be done with it, :lol:
Gary
PS I'm just ribbing you I think what you've done is cool.
Where ever we raise the hatch is home.
Darn blank states keep getting further away and we keep traveling slower ain't never gona get this map full.
111961Image
RAYVILLIAN
Lifetime member

Postby eaglesdare » Fri Apr 29, 2011 6:35 am

GPW wrote:Hmmmmm?? Best stay away from those bridges in high winds ... maybe with any RV... or a Yugo ...

Ok we now have only two things to worry about .... High bridges in the wind , and Bears ... :o
``

you know this talk doesn't help me at all. you know this right? you remember this has been my fear for a long time. and you know this isnt helping. :cry: i have to cross that bridge in a couple of weeks.
Louella
May the foam be with you.
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby eaglesdare » Fri Apr 29, 2011 6:38 am

RAYVILLIAN wrote:Does this seem funny to anyone but me? You spend all this time planning and building a super light Teardrop than worry about how much weight you need to add to keep it on the ground or to not be blown off high bridges. Why not just build a normal teardrop that weighed about 1000 lbs and be done with it, :lol:
Gary
PS I'm just ribbing you I think what you've done is cool.

is that an oxymoron? :lol:

but see this actually works for me. i can't pull a lot of weight. so the lighter the camper, the more gear i can add. if i started with a 1000lb camper i could not bring anything. this way i can bring it all. cement floor tiles and all. :lol:
Louella
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby swampjeep » Fri Apr 29, 2011 7:27 am

don't forget this thread started about thriftyness, combined with it lasting longer then wood,
swampjeep
Teardrop Master

Postby swampjeep » Fri Apr 29, 2011 7:30 am

Eagle, don't worry about the bridge crossings so much, I doubt your trailer would come close to lifting, but even if it did, the vehicle would be heavy enough to prevent it from going anywhere, that yugo weighed less then half your car.
swampjeep
Teardrop Master

Postby eaglesdare » Fri Apr 29, 2011 7:35 am

swampjeep wrote:Eagle, don't worry about the bridge crossings so much, I doubt your trailer would come close to lifting, but even if it did, the vehicle would be heavy enough to prevent it from going anywhere, that yugo weighed less then half your car.

thank you! now that is the talk i want to hear. :lol:
Louella
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Fri Apr 29, 2011 7:42 am

Thrifty was the primary concern , Rot proof second on the list, Low maintenance .... Light just sorta' happened.. :o Serendipity!! :D And like Eagle said , you can carry More of your own stuff ... No guilt about loading it up (it is a trailer eh? ) with all those extra goodies that make camping more pleasurable (more Beer :lol: )
Eagle , we all have to cross that bridge one day ... sometimes even twice a day .. :o
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby swampjeep » Fri Apr 29, 2011 7:48 am

GPW wrote:Thrifty was the primary concern , Rot proof second on the list, Low maintenance .... Light just sorta' happened.. :o Serendipity!! :D And like Eagle said , you can carry More of your own stuff ... No guilt about loading it up (it is a trailer eh? ) with all those extra goodies that make camping more pleasurable (more Beer :lol: ) Eagle , we all have to cross that bridge one day ... sometimes even twice a day .. :o

and just think, it's like a giant cooler to keep all that beer cold too

:twisted:
swampjeep
Teardrop Master

Postby GPW » Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:16 am

Well, essentially ... :lol: A BIG rolling IGLOO.. :o True Dat !!! But then aren't all those molded fiberglass camper thingies' (and Boats) ? You Could even make your own ice chest (Igloo) too... same way ... Just how far you want to take it ... and how much Beer you need .. :lol:
I used to live next to a family that every hunting season , they'd drive off to the camp with two pickup trucks ... one for the hunting gear , one for the Beer... (True!!!) :roll: Now had they had a Foamie trailer , imagine all the gas they would have saved... :D

Rough calculations , if you have a 2000lb capacity trailer , and it weighs 500 lbs., that means you can haul 1499lbs. of Beer ... and a bag of potato chips ... WHOA !!!! :thinking:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

PVC as Spar's and Trailer frame?

Postby Shazza » Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:33 pm

Hey.... so I'm reading this thread... (and loving it BTW) and what has been coming up for me as I read about one of the beauty's of this is not having the rot of wood in your trailer right?? ...
well... what if you could use PVC pipe as the trailer "frame" , spars, and the support and backing for the doors and windows etc.... ??? anyone thought of that or tried it or... or... or..... thoughts? :roll: :thinking:
Shazza
Gold Donating Member

Postby eaglesdare » Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:45 pm

hmmm i don't know why that could not be done either. it would be cheaper and it would be lighter. :thinking:
Louella
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby eaglesdare » Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:29 pm

`don't mean to go off topic, but my baby birds and parents have all left the` nest. they were only a day old. i caught the momma walking off with at least 3` of the babies. `did not see the 4th one. but i suppose that is what they do once those babies can walk good and get better` feathers? if i had known they would be gone so` fast` i `w`o`ul`d` have taken more b`etter pic`s, bu`t i thought i had` `t`ime.

c`an't wait for `that new puter. should be `here on mond`ay. ````
Louella
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:40 pm

Bye Bye Birdie (s) ... Nature does take care of it's own ... ;)

I can't think where PVC pipe would be used ... :oops: But would like to know what it could be used for ... is there square PVC ??? That might be handy ...

Here's an idea for a shelf mounting that would take the load off the foam sides ... The end plates spread the load .... maybe PVC pipes instead of wooden dowels ... ??? Image[url][/url]
GPW
Gold Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Foamies