Foam TDs

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Foam TDs

Postby Dorado » Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:33 pm

This has probably been asked before but I can't find it. Has anyone tried making the body of a TD out of Styrofoam and coating it with fiberglass? I know that surfboards are made out of it so why not a TD?
If you make the walls, roof, and floor out of dense foam and coat it with a 50/50 mix of Elmer's glue and water, the resin from fiberglass wont melt the foam. I've seen people make fenders and other things like that, and the foam didn't melt and it looked good. Wouldn't that make the walls lighter, and insulated?
Dorado
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Miriam C. » Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:17 pm

http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=43647

This one is actually built and has been on it's first trip...

The thrifty thread evolved into a foamy build that Jan did.
http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=39373
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby Wobbly Wheels » Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:02 am

Styrene based resins will eat 'styrofoam', epoxy won't.
PVC foam is typically used for coring with polystyrene resins. You can get it at marine suppliers and it's considerably more expensive than styrofoam.
Look for the names Divinycell or Klegecell.
Last edited by Wobbly Wheels on Sun May 01, 2011 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wobbly Wheels
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:47 am

Now if money is no object , an EPP foam might be a good choice ... Expanded polypropylene .. Tough stuff !!!
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby swampjeep » Thu May 12, 2011 7:17 am

I know this was posted before the cfreation of the new forum, but I wanted to mention in here there is now a new forum just for foam, not a lot of defferent threads there (yet) but one lengthy one with TONS of info on this :)

http://tnttt.com/viewforum.php?f=55
swampjeep
Teardrop Master

Postby eaglesdare » Thu May 12, 2011 8:51 am

yup a foamie has been build and has made 2 trips so far. it works! :D

the foamies now have their place. it will be broken down to make it easier to find the info. give it some time as the new forum was just created and that major thread is rather large.
Louella
May the foam be with you.
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby Artificer » Thu May 12, 2011 6:24 pm

In 2006 or 2007 I saw a trailer build that used pink foam, and was going to be fiberglassed. I couldn't find it again, but I didn't spend a terribly long time looking.

The cheaper version is the foamie, as mentioned.

The top of my new trailer is foam and stringers. I picked up some 20oz roving and epoxied it on. What surprised me was that the 50" roving was only $4.60/yrd. $69/gallon kit of epoxy, and the fiberglassing may not cost too much. Compared to $30/sheet 1/8 5'x5' baltic birch sheets, it cheap.

michael
Artificer
Teardrop Master

Postby GPW » Fri May 13, 2011 6:59 am

Absolutely Nothing wrong with fiberglassing a TD ... It's an excellent covering for the foam , as proven by many years of similar Boat construction!
After all ,what is a TD , but a boat turned upside down , both designed to keep the water out ... :D
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby mikeschn » Fri May 13, 2011 8:25 am

GPW wrote:Now if money is no object , an EPP foam might be a good choice ... Expanded polypropylene .. Tough stuff !!!

Where do I get EPP?

My stuff is EPS. Extruded polystyrene.

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby GPW » Fri May 13, 2011 8:47 am

EPP is extrudes polypropylene ... Difficult to find , frightfully expensive .. Difficult to work with, at our tool level... does not accept most glues , or paint, and most solvents don't harm it .. But it is very durable , and flexible ... unlike styrofoam , if you take a hammer to this , the dent will just bounce back out ... It's the foam that modern car bumpers are made from, many different densities available ...

Here's some info from the Plane modelers ... Just FYI.. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=703115 It does make almost indestructible plane models , which frequently tend to fall out the sky at great speeds ..

:thumbsup:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby swampjeep » Fri May 13, 2011 9:15 am

Hey, Mike, I'm not sure if they have it, but I seen there's a "foam" ware house type store down in Troy, not too far from L.O. they seemed to have a lot of stuff on teir website, I'll look for it again and post it if I find it.
swampjeep
Teardrop Master

Postby swampjeep » Fri May 13, 2011 9:40 am

found these to, fairly local to us, but don't see it on their sites...

http://www.foamforyou.com/CustomCutFoam.htm

http://www.thefoamfactory.com/
swampjeep
Teardrop Master

Return to Foamies