New Foamie Hybrid build * Frame Finally Done! *

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

New Foamie Hybrid build * Frame Finally Done! *

Postby DJT » Mon May 23, 2011 5:38 pm

This is my Foamie Hybrid build.

Custom built frame (recycled/free steel, thrifty!)
2" walls with wood paneling inside, TB/Canvas exterior
Built to be "Back road capable", meaning I want to be able to pull it on logging/back roads behind both my wife's Escape and my Jeep.

Needs to replace a tent, and provide some storage space.

Initially I was thinking 4'x8'x5' wide, but in thinking about the build and what I'd like to carry, I changed it to be 5'x8'x5'6" wide. The additional 12" of height will allow for a double floor with storage for heavier equipment, etc to keep most/all of the weight low (for better COG as well as to limit the amount of inertia on the foam structure swaying down the trail).

Enough talking! On to the drawings!

Feedback will be appreciated!

Still need to figure:
- windows
- hatch latch, hinge and supports
- access hatches
- final galley layout
- awning?
Last edited by DJT on Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
DJT
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Mon May 23, 2011 5:43 pm

DJ, really Like how you've incorporated all that inner structure into the build .... it should be VERY Strong !!! :thumbsup: 8)
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby starleen2 » Mon May 23, 2011 6:07 pm

Now THAT"S what we're talkin' 'bout :thumbsup:
starleen2
5th Teardrop Club

Postby eaglesdare » Mon May 23, 2011 6:16 pm

nice sketch. how are you going to arrange all the family and dog? that is the family and pet right?
Louella
May the foam be with you.
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby DJT » Mon May 23, 2011 7:57 pm

Thanks all!

GP, I hope it will be! That's way more steel than I'd normally build into a trailer, but with the lightness of the foam, and picking the materials for each component, I hope it will "balance" out... :thinking:

Eagle, for now it'll be the three humans in the tear (little one is only 10 months), and the doggie will be in the truck; or when it's just me and the dog I'll let her snuggle.

I was just reading the discussion about HVC in foamies... hadn't thought of that... maybe a heater and a fan/cooler? :thinking:

I've got the steel, springs, rims and tires in the shop. Going to start sticking metal together this week hopefully! :twisted:

I'll try to remember to stop and take pics along the way!
DJT
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Tue May 24, 2011 6:07 am

Yes, Please take some pics for us .... :thumbsup:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby eaglesdare » Wed May 25, 2011 6:36 am

so that pic is the future :D no matter what i come up with i can get 3 in just fine. my problem come with trying to get 4 or 5 in there.

and yes please plan for that a/c and/or heater.

and we do love pictures. :thumbsup:
Louella
May the foam be with you.
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Wed May 25, 2011 8:03 am

DJ, the more I look at your drawing , the more we think it's really SUPER... No curved bending foam to deal with , yet a pleasant rounded shape , which also reinforces the structure... inner structure not only supplying the added structural bracing , but also utilitarian... 8) That frame just HAS to be Stout :o The total trailer should be as solid as a Rock !!! As far as the weight thing , the foam is 2 lbs/cu.ft. , the ply is like 57lbs./cu.ft. Gotta be a big weight savings there , even if you fiberglass it ... :thumbsup: 8) 8) 8)
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Conedodger » Wed May 25, 2011 9:44 am

I think it looks great.

My only concern would be off road. Normally you make off road trailers so the trailer wheels follow the tow car, the idea being if the car get through you trailer can.

However there are loads of videos of off road trailers that are wider and they get through, you just have to be careful

Its going to be a great project.
Conedodger
Teardrop Master

Postby DJT » Wed May 25, 2011 4:43 pm

Thanks folks!

Eagle, this one will work till there is another addition! :o

GPW, this is my fourth (?) design, and I'm sure this will change a little as it's built, but I think the concept is good (about 90% of the weight only 18" above the axle) and this will be a great learning experience/proof of concept!

Cone, it's actually designed to follow my Jeep. I tried to keep it as close to perfect geometry (from what I understand about trailer designs for off-road), with the track width matching the Jeep, the bumper height as close as possible, and even the axle centerline distance the same as the wheelbase, see below:

Overall Height
Bumper Height
Track Width
Body Width
Wheelbase

2004 Jeep LJ
72â€
DJT
Gold Donating Member

Postby Conedodger » Wed May 25, 2011 5:55 pm

Earlier you said "5'x8'x6' wide"

6' in England is still 72" and you have a car track of 60" (ish) and the drawing shows the wheels outside so i was taking it to be wider

:thinking:
Conedodger
Teardrop Master

Postby DJT » Wed May 25, 2011 7:10 pm

Conedodger wrote:Earlier you said "5'x8'x6' wide"

6' in England is still 72" and you have a car track of 60" (ish) and the drawing shows the wheels outside so i was taking it to be wider

:thinking:

Sorry Cone, you were right! Originally I had stretched it to 72" since I needed a step on both sides. I deleted the LH door, and gained back the 6".

Good catch on the track width as well... I'm still learning Sketch Up and narrowing the axle proved to be a bit of a PITA :oops: the final design will actually not have fender flares at all (that and the tire pictured is 12.5" wide, while the actual will be 7.5").

See, this is why I'm posting! I need as many sets of eyes on this as possible! 8)
DJT
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Wed May 25, 2011 7:24 pm

Liked the look of the wide tires ...thought it was an off road "thing" ...Now if you did have wide tires and weren't too heavily loaded , couldn't you reduce the pressure for less bounce with those big balloons ??? Not by much ... :thinking:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby pat g » Thu May 26, 2011 9:41 am

DJT,

Nice design. Good luck.

Pat G
pat g
Teardrop Master

Postby Conedodger » Thu May 26, 2011 1:31 pm

DJT wrote:
Sorry Cone,

No need, i was just thinking you had missed it and its oh so much easier to modify it in sketchup than during the build

I must admit its the best design i have seen for use with foam so far.

What suspension will you be using for offroad?

Also if you can get a axle with the same wheels as you main off road tow car you would then have 2 spares and thats handy off road :thumbsup:
Conedodger
Teardrop Master

Next

Return to Foamies