The Inside

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

The Inside

Postby Catherine+twins » Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:53 pm

Okay, do I need to cover the interior with fabric before painting, like the outside? Or can I just maybe tape the joints (fabric tape, that is) and just fill and paint?

Catherine
Build Thread Penguino II: viewtopic.php?f=55&t=54919
Build Thread Penguino I: viewtopic.php?t=44431
"Oh, let's just stay here and sing camp songs for a while." 1966, My mom in Isle Royale, MN, in a women's bath house with a momma bear and two cubs outside the door, and three tired kids trapped inside
"Dad! Dad! There's a bear outside!" 1967, Lolo Hot Springs, MT, in a tent-top trailer
"Oh, no, there it goes!!" Nov 10, 2012 as Penguino I blew over in high winds
Catherine+twins
The 300 Club

Postby Wolffarmer » Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:08 pm

I would do the inside like the outside. That is how the whole system works. Foam between cloth/glue. Unless you want to test a new method.

8)

Randy
"these guys must be afraid of the dark"
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Sat Jun 11, 2011 10:34 pm

C+T , I used old bedsheets inside mine ... worked pretty Good .. those sheets are strong .. and I had em' ... ;) Just being Thrifty !!! But I did add the reinforcing strips on the inside too ... Still think that's important ... like Wolf said !!! :thumbsup:
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby eaglesdare » Sun Jun 12, 2011 5:03 pm

only part of mine is done on the inside. not all covered in canvas, you can still see lots of foam. but most of the joint areas are covered, so that might make a difference.

now this is just my own personal opinion from my own experieces, i seriously do not think it is as important as covering properly the outside. as long as that outside is done right and the inside walls are seperated by whatever material, spars, counter tops, bunkbeds, i think you will be fine. but again that is just my opinion.

of course doing the canvas on the inside will never hurt, just adds to the reinforcement.
Louella
May the foam be with you.
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby Wolffarmer » Sun Jun 12, 2011 5:46 pm

Interesting

:thinking:

Randy
"these guys must be afraid of the dark"
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:43 pm

A little Paint covers up a lot of sins.... brings uniformity to the entire inside ... :thumbsup:
I thought of doing the inside in old blue jeans.... sure could use all the pockets for incidental storage ...... :thinking:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby eaglesdare » Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:00 am

GPW wrote:A little Paint covers up a lot of sins.... brings uniformity to the entire inside ... :thumbsup:
I thought of doing the inside in old blue jeans.... sure could use all the pockets for incidental storage ...... :thinking:

ok now that is too funny, but might solve my problem. and another thing you might like gpw: i have lots of jeans from the boys, cargo type also. that would mean plenty of pockets for those incidentals. :D free, thrifty and recycled!

you all are going to shame me into finishing that inside yet. :lol:
Louella
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:05 am

Just a crazy thought .... Burlap ... Nice texture , covers any imperfections, inexpensive and takes paint well ... I see a lot of commercial trailers with wallpaper that resembles burlap ... :roll: and it comes in colors too ... no painting necessary ... :thinking:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Wobbly Wheels » Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:48 am

I can just picture it now...Eagles frantically tearing through the wallpaper's pockets looking for her contacts in the morning...or the house key...or the trailer's registration..."Now which pocket did I put that in ?..."

There is a product I was thinking about for the inside...I put it on a bedroom's walls for my mother in law about ten years ago. It's made from milled cotton fibers and comes in a bag with a powdered adhesive. You dump the bag into a 5 gallon bucket and add water and get a gooey mix somewhere between wet dryer lint and thick oatmeal. You slap this stuff onto the wall and smooth it with a roller. It might work well here because it will fill gaps and give the foam a little bit of protection. Should go a little further to deaden sound too. I remember all that but not what the bloody stuff is called, lol.
Last edited by Wobbly Wheels on Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wobbly Wheels
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:56 am

How about dryer Lint and T2??? :o :roll: :lol:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby eaglesdare » Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:49 am

Wobbly Wheels wrote:I can just picture it now...Eagles frantically tearing through the wallpaper's pockets looking for her contacts in the morning...or the house key...or the trailer's registration..."Now which pocket did I put that in ?..."

There is a product I was thinking about for the inside...I put it on a bedroom's walls for my mother in law about ten years ago. It's made from milled cotton fibers and comes in a bag with a powdered adhesive. You dump the bag into a 5 gallon bucket and add water and get a gooey mix somewhere between wet dryer lint and thick oatmeal. You slap this stuff onto the wall and smooth it with a roller. It might work well here because it will fill gaps and give the foam a little bit of protection. Should go a little further to deaden sound too. I remember all that but not what the bloody stuff is called, lol.

:lol:

you should see me now. i am going crazy looking under everything. pockets will be much better. i have no true storage inside the tear.
Louella
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:59 am

That Denim look !!! 8) 8) 8) Very popular at one time ...
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Conedodger » Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:36 pm

Storage with buttons or a zipper, now thats a novel idea :D
Conedodger
Teardrop Master

Return to Foamies