Silly Foamie Ideas

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Postby inventing_man » Sat Jul 09, 2011 9:44 pm

I'm 53 :cry: And just starting . :applause: Also flew hang gliders back in the late 70's :o
Check out this vid . Falcon 4 Stroke V twin . The Guy building and Flying is 60 . http://www.falcon4strokeppg.com/

http://www.youtube.com/user/terrylutke# ... 85VJYVCrCM
inventing_man
Teardrop Inspector

Postby GPW » Sun Jul 10, 2011 6:13 pm

Whoa!!! Looks like he just missed that truck on the end... :shock:
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby inventing_man » Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:18 pm

Not even close , he was in 100% control . :thumbsup:
inventing_man
Teardrop Inspector

Postby tinksdad » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:44 am

Low tech weekends (no TV, no computer, etc) are NOT good for me. Too much time to think. A modification came to me for my foam puffin crouchie clone. I wasn't going to put a dropped floor in it; but the short (?) height of the door bothered me. Not so much for my sake; but for "she who camps with me". And then I had a brain hiccup. I threw this together real quick this morning, hoping to get some input from the hive mind. I could have made a step stool to put outside the door to compensate for the ground to floor height of the unmodified design (and I still may need one; but it wouldn't be as tall). Thoughts, ideas??? Will it be strong enough? Will I need to add more support somewhere? It drops ~7" and will allow for a 5 foot tall door. The pink is just representative of the profile (think pink... think foam!). There is about the same clearance (maybe even a fraction more) to the side wall as Steve's original Puffin, so changing tires should not be a problem even with the skirts. The drop box would probably be made of 3/4" ply with appropriate cleating while the main floor would be 3/8 or 1/2" sheathing. I'm thinking 2x2 framing on the main floor half lapped at the joints. Although I didn't draw it, if I use a 2x6 on the end frame members instead of 2X2, I can get the extra length to use a queen size bed instead of a double. (8' 8" opposed to 8' cabin length)

(I changed the profile a little so now it looks like a cross between the Puffin and a Benroy on steroids)

tinksdad
500 Club

Postby aggie79 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:33 am

What a great idea!

I think as designed, it should be plenty stong enough.

Take care,
Tom
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby wlivesey » Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:48 pm

tinksdad wrote:

Wow... It looks really great! If I were to offer one suggestion it would be to mount that air conditioner up as high as possible. It will work much better that way. I think I would lengthen your plan about 18 inches and make a floor to ceiling cabinet on one side with the AC mounted at the top. Just my two cents...
wlivesey
The 300 Club

Postby GPW » Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:42 am

Dad, you know , I first looked at that step box and thought .... trouble !!! :o But then , considering how really light the foam cabin is going to be , there's really no or little stress on that area , other than stepping on it ... :thinking:
Anybody ever made a tiny wheel tandem trailer , small wheels , lower to the ground?
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby tinksdad » Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:35 am

That's why I'm asking opinions. I don't want to get it all done and find out it won't work. The step box would be glued and screwed at the top on three sides to the floor framing. A drop floor in the middle would be done on all four sides. Maybe some additional metal strapping around and under the outboard edge might be in order to transfer the weight of being stepped on to the main floor. Part of the idea with the side step is to gain some extra height in the door area for the little woman.

Another thought was to make the skirts from wood with an angle iron spanning the bottom of the door area; but that is adding weight and potential rot I would like to avoid.

The original Puffin was done with 8" wheels and Steve still had a step stool for some of his "camping buddies" to use to get in and out. He did cut the skirts on a later re-do; but I think it was more of a design element than functional.

I do recall seeing a trailer build on here using tandem axles. Don't recall if it had the smaller wheels or not. My chronologically experienced (old?) grey cells seem to think it was across the pond.
tinksdad
500 Club

Postby Ratkity » Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:54 am

The step box is a great idea and putting metal straps around it would enhance it's stability. The only problem I would foresee would be rot from water infiltration due to dings from road debris.

Ideas:
1. Seal it well with black goo
2. Cover it with canvas and water the snot out of it with paint and glue
3. Use metal sheeting and have it welded to the frame.
4. Cover it with aluminum on the bottom and sides.

Just rambling ideas. :thinking:

Hugs,
Ratkity
Ratkity
Gold Donating Member

Postby mikeschn » Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:19 pm

That's some very creative modeling! :thumbsup:

And it looks fairly strong. You might put a couple 2x2's on top of the frame in the rear, so that the plywood doesn't flex as much. Yes I know, it's under the bed!

Also, I can't quite make out how you plan on fastening the side walls. Are you setting them on top of the 2x2's? Then how are you going to attach your skirts?

Mike...

tinksdad wrote:Image
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Wolffarmer » Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:38 pm

Where the step is I would cut the frame and put two stringers clear from the right side to the left frame member and of course put a piece under the step to continue the frame on the right.

If I was building it I would first get the basic frame squared up and then weld in some of the other pieces before I go cutting out the right frame section.

I have gotten most of the iron needed for my next build and am thinking about doing this. These old bones don't flex like they use to and something I can just step into, even if it is a scrunchy is looking mighty good.

By the way, nice drawings you guys make. You make the drawings and I will be the iron monger

Randy
"these guys must be afraid of the dark"
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

RE: Step Down - Step Well

Postby mezmo » Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:01 pm

Hi Tinksdad,

Would it be possible to do a step-down frame like here:

http://tnttt.com/viewto ... c&start=15

in terryjones1's Terry's garagable standy TTT thread? Pg 2 of the
thread has some good pics of it.

It sounds like you'd just be building
a built-in obstacle with the lowered step-in, then the boxed in frame
member, and then the floor step-down well.

A step-down frame would seem simpler and easier to build with
and make the interior more usable if you could swing it.

Cheers,
Norm/mezmo
If you have a house - you have a hobby.
mezmo
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby tinksdad » Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:29 pm

mikeschn wrote:Also, I can't quite make out how you plan on fastening the side walls. Are you setting them on top of the 2x2's? Then how are you going to attach your skirts?

:shock: You spotted the obvious flaw in my plan!! Sitting in front of the computer, I sometimes can't see the forest for the trees. I got to thinking about it while driving to work this afternoon, and decided there is no reason to re-invent the wheel. Especially since you all ready invented it. Keys!!!! It's not going to be that difficult to re-do my plan and add the keys to the side of the frame and make wall and skirt one piece.

Also.... mezmo and wolffarmer.... I think I muddied the waters when I mentioned drop floor. I'm not planning a drop floor, just the step. I was just pointing out that a drop floor is attached around the whole perimeter of the box, my step would only be attached on three sides and was wondering if that would be a weak spot. Also while driving, I envisioned a method of a steel strap attached to the 2x2 floor framing that would go under the step box and not interfere with the wall and skirt (I think). Just got home from work, so in the morning I will take my frame design apart and make some modifications to see if things fit the way I picture them in my head.

:thinking: Itty Bitty was a lot easier. It went together with no detailed plan. Built on the fly. And I only had to satisfy myself. This one is taking a lot more in the planning stages. Now I have to satisfy "she" as well. There is no problem with the ceiling height over the main floor as "she" can stand upright without a drop floor. I'm the one that would have to crouch. The step (and taller door) is so "she" won't have to crawl in on hands and knees and then stand up.

:x I had to give up all my good "short people" jokes when we became a pair. But it's all right for her to make fun of my gorilla arms.
tinksdad
500 Club

Postby GPW » Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:40 am

QUOTE: "Now I have to satisfy "she" as well." ..... Dad , Good Luck on that !!! :roll:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby mikeschn » Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:28 pm

tinksdad wrote:
mikeschn wrote:Also, I can't quite make out how you plan on fastening the side walls. Are you setting them on top of the 2x2's? Then how are you going to attach your skirts?

:shock: You spotted the obvious flaw in my plan!! Sitting in front of the computer, I sometimes can't see the forest for the trees. I got to thinking about it while driving to work this afternoon, and decided there is no reason to re-invent the wheel. Especially since you all ready invented it. Keys!!!! It's not going to be that difficult to re-do my plan and add the keys to the side of the frame and make wall and skirt one piece.

Tdad,

What if you were to leave the frame exactly as it is, glue the skirts on first underneath the 2x2's, clamp them in place until dry. Then glue the walls on top of the 2x2's. Once you get some canvas on the walls and skirts, they are not going to go anywhere.

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Foamies