Will this work for a standie?

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Will this work for a standie?

Postby jakie » Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:53 pm

I have a pop up tent trailer, that is mostly dismantled, and I therefore have a frame etc, with a dimension of 72 inches by 141 inches. This seems too big for a standard teardrop, but I wondered about doing a standie with the same type of dimensions as a camplite 11. I started playing around with the graph paper (old school, and have no idea how to use sketchup :shock: ) I hope to make the outer dimensions 80 by 141 inches, and the height 78 inches. Here are the scans of my doodles. Please let me know what you think.

I was going to build a gen benroy....now...foamie here I come
jakie
Teardrop Builder

Postby GPW » Wed Aug 17, 2011 5:52 am

J , that looks very workable ... Nice size for comfort ... :thumbsup:

Not sure about the Stove idea ??? :o
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby eaglesdare » Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:14 am

if gpw says it looks good then i agree with him. (i have no idea about the technical stuff).
but i also would have to question the stove. heat, fire and foam oh my.
Louella
May the foam be with you.
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:49 am

Well I was just saying it looked "comfortable" and livable (place for everything ) ... Was assuming a raised bed for storage under... lightweight dinette can double as a sofa or bed ... I keep thinking the stub wall could be extended across the ceiling in an arched doorway for a little more roof support ,aesthetics ... unless you're using wood braces across the top ... or both ... the inner structure does add to the overall strength of the cabin , all little things adding up ...
J , I'm thinking for a build this large , the best approach would be to do the more normal TD thing and build the inside first , complete , then just stick on the sides/roof ... all the structure glued/tied together as a single unit ...

And if you're doing the canvas covering , I'd get some very heavy (strong)_ canvas for the "reinforcing strips " ... Or maybe just double the regular strips, Thicker ... better to err on the side of caution ... :thinking:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:44 am

I was doodling ideas too ... FWIW... Image
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby jakie » Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:22 pm

WOW thanks, GPW. Dont worry about the stove. I really meant a three burner safafri stove top deal. Not really required, as I have a portable 2 burner that would be used most of the time. There is also the Luan to keep the heat away from the foam. I could also add metal reflectors to keep the heat in the cabin area, away from the walls. I was also thinking about roof spars. The 1.5 inch dow has grooves already built in, so I would have a groove 1.5 by .75 inches to add small spars that would be concealed, and therefore easy to cover with the white finished luan. I really like the arched support, and may well go with that. First things first. Finish dismantling the pop up, to find out where the frame supports need to be for the torsion box floor. I have someone at work who is watching the build with great interest. He keeps on bringing up concerns, that have already been answered on the forum. He just said....oh I guess you guys have already figured that out... 8)
jakie
Teardrop Builder

Postby GPW » Wed Aug 17, 2011 4:27 pm

Jakie , we've got it it pretty much figured out by now ... but still lots of avenues to explore ... still learning .... But now we know it Works !!! :thumbsup:

Ps. There have been a few "concerned" naysayers here too ... all sorted now ...
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby pete42 » Wed Aug 17, 2011 5:13 pm

only thing I can add is when I was building my fiberglass and foam airplane I tried a piece of foam & fiberglass test strip when someone ask about fire I said I don't know got a match? that sucker burned faster than a fuse headed toward dynamite......
pete42
Super Lifetime Member

Postby GPW » Wed Aug 17, 2011 5:42 pm

Likely the resin !!! :o
GPW
Gold Donating Member

another threat hijack!

Postby jakie » Wed Aug 17, 2011 6:04 pm

I know of a person who flew a q2, and sort of mushed it into a marsh north of Oshkosh. No one hurt. The foam and fiberglass protected the pilot and passenger completely. Better than a metal plane would have.

John
jakie
Teardrop Builder

Postby GPW » Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:53 pm

J, good thing we don't have to ride in the TD !! But i still think a stove Inside a Foamie may not be a good idea ... Just me ... Microwave or toaster oven would work , maybe a little electric hotplate ... :thinking:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby jakie » Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:29 pm

ok will rethink that part. Leaves more area for dishes :thumbsup:
jakie
Teardrop Builder

Postby GPW » Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:37 pm

J, funny thing about Foamies , takes a LOT of thinking initially , but the build is pretty Easy ... once you've figured out what you really want !!! :thinking:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby angib » Sat Aug 20, 2011 7:28 am

One thing to watch out for is the gap between the table and the corner of the galley cabinet - the dimension in blue below.

it looks like it's about 6" which is too tight for most people to squeeze through - you might need to cut back the corner of the table as far as the red line, or at least I would have to, to fit my stomach through that gap....
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby GPW » Sat Aug 20, 2011 8:30 am

Angib , I was figuring if he eliminated the stove , the countertop /cab could be angled or rounded for better entry ... :thinking:

GPW
Gold Donating Member

Next

Return to Foamies