Harbor Freight's Out of the Picture

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Postby eaglesdare » Mon Nov 28, 2011 6:18 am

:applause: :applause:
Louella
May the foam be with you.
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Mon Nov 28, 2011 6:33 am

Thanks everybody !!! I’m Happy to have it , and have it done ...

Chartle , I can’t see moving the axle back unless I do some serious drilling , and then as you say there needs to be something (brace) for the middle ... The hinges that I left won’t do it ... I’d love to move the axle back about 10â€
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:20 am

Looks good GPW!

You going to start your own build thread, or continue to run this one out of control? :lol: :lol:

FWIW - I didn't move the axle on either of my trailer builds. Both are longer than the 8' trailer frame, and sit forward on the frame a little bit.
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Postby chartle » Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:21 am

[quote="GPW"]Thanks everybody !!! I’m Happy to have it , and have it done ...

Chartle , I can’t see moving the axle back unless I do some serious drilling , and then as you say there needs to be something (brace) for the middle ... The hinges that I left won’t do it ... I’d love to move the axle back about 10â€
Last edited by chartle on Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
chartle
Teardrop Master

Postby chartle » Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:45 am

[quote="GPW"]
The fender is about 3â€
chartle
Teardrop Master

Postby GPW » Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:35 am

Zach , I just need to fit the cabin onto the frame and see where everything falls out ... a little forward would be OK for me too ...
Chart , I’ve got those bits and if we HAVE to , I’ll move the axle ... just not as yet ... Have to recover from the build first ...
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Tiredoldwhiteman » Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:08 pm

GPW wrote:Zach , I just need to fit the cabin onto the frame and see where everything falls out ... a little forward would be OK for me too ...
Chart , I’ve got those bits and if we HAVE to , I’ll move the axle ... just not as yet ... Have to recover from the build first ...

As light as your Foamer is, placement on the trailer would seem to only be a concern as to access...

Light (weight); its a good thing...
Tiredoldwhiteman
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:07 pm

TOWM , Last night I had the guys help me move the cabin so I could apply the nasty black stuff underneath.. 4 guys easily picked it up with no strain at all ... Got it coated today , and let it sit out towards the sun , and it appears to be dry -ish already ... Light is good as I was easily able to flip it over (by myself) on it’s side onto an old moving blanket for access to the bottom.
I measured and only 8â€
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Tiredoldwhiteman » Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:42 pm

[quote="GPW"]... room for a small 8â€
Tiredoldwhiteman
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Thu Dec 01, 2011 5:32 pm

Continental kit ... That’s Perfect !!! Great idea TOWM !!!!! 8)
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby chartle » Fri Dec 02, 2011 5:23 pm

Tiredoldwhiteman wrote:
GPW wrote:Zach , I just need to fit the cabin onto the frame and see where everything falls out ... a little forward would be OK for me too ...

As light as your Foamer is, placement on the trailer would seem to only be a concern as to access...

Light (weight); its a good thing...

Isn't axle placement more of a weight distribution then a overall weight issue.
chartle
Teardrop Master

Postby Tiredoldwhiteman » Mon Dec 19, 2011 3:04 pm

chartle wrote:Isn't axle placement more of a weight distribution then a overall weight issue.

Indeed...However, I was mostly just funnin' with G because his foamie is so bloody light weight...
Tiredoldwhiteman
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:44 pm

TOWM , just thinking cause’ I got the 1195 lb. trailer The springs will be light enough so it won’t be Bouncy .. sans Beer ballast ... The cabin is pretty light ... the other day a friend and I moved it , just the two of us ... it was heavy , but no backbreaker ... May not be 250lb . like I guesstimated ...
Gosh!!! I’d hate to run under weight ... More ballast !!! :o

HF is now back in my picture , only because I have an “In “ at the store ... :roll:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby swampjeep » Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:09 pm

GPW wrote:TOWM , just thinking cause’ I got the 1195 lb. trailer The springs will be light enough so it won’t be Bouncy .. sans Beer ballast ... The cabin is pretty light ... the other day a friend and I moved it , just the two of us ... it was heavy , but no backbreaker ... May not be 250lb . like I guesstimated ...
Gosh!!! I’d hate to run under weight ... More ballast !!! :o

HF is now back in my picture , only because I have an “In “ at the store ... :roll:

maybe they are putting the 1195, as the 1500 minus the weight of the trailer? guessing a rough 300 with some type of floor? if used as a ordinary util,
swampjeep
Teardrop Master

Postby Tiredoldwhiteman » Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:31 am

GPW wrote:...The springs will be light enough so it won’t be Bouncy .. "

Soft springs are a necessity for such light-weight trailers...Are there any calculations/charts, etc available to determine how light or heavy one's springs need be?

GPW wrote:"HF is now back in my picture , only because I have an “In “ at the store ... :roll:

I'm still looking for an acceptable trailer...Most everything is way too heavy, too expensive, sans title or so bad it'd cost twice its worth to be made road-ready...Patience Grasshopper.

I nearly broke down the other day thinking to call the HF store, but I held strong ;-)...
Tiredoldwhiteman
Gold Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Foamies