Coroplast as laminate skin for Foamies

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Coroplast as laminate skin for Foamies

Postby SuperTroll » Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:28 am

check this guys blog, then his you tube video for his suggestion for a lightweight homeless shelter...got me thinking of OTHER uses for Coroplast.....

scroll down to the bottom of the blog for the shelter

http://www.highmileagetrikes.blogspot.com/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hG0aRjKDnKo

Coroplast (think the plastic election signs you see everywhere nowadays) it comes in 4 by 8 sheets and is strong, flexable and waterproof....
Keep thinking outside the box and all manner of ideas will become reality......

http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/alb ... Ul?start=0
SuperTroll
Teardrop Master

Re: Coroplast as laminate skin for Foamies

Postby StandUpGuy » Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:40 am

SuperTroll wrote:check this guys blog, then his you tube video for his suggestion for a lightweight homeless shelter...got me thinking of OTHER uses for Coroplast.....

scroll down to the bottom of the blog for the shelter

http://www.highmileagetrikes.blogspot.com/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hG0aRjKDnKo

Coroplast (think the plastic election signs you see everywhere nowadays) it comes in 4 by 8 sheets and is strong, flexable and waterproof....

Coroplast is weak. It is thin cheap cardboard basically. Sure cardboard too can be pretty strong. Sure would not want those flutes in Coroplast holding water in my trailer either. Sorry but I think it is a good material for a cheap sign or a box but I do not think it is a good construction material for much else.
StandUpGuy
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby bonnie » Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:12 am

It's discussed somewhere in the long thread. As I remember, properly sealed it would make great siding material. YMMV
Remember, the turtle won. :)
bonnie
Donating Member

Postby StandUpGuy » Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:15 am

bonnie wrote:It's discussed somewhere in the long thread. As I remember, properly sealed it would make great siding material. YMMV

I am a Designer and use this material all of the time. It changes color from UV exposure. If you run your fingernail across it it indents and leaves a white line. It is a horrible material to use on a trailer.
StandUpGuy
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby angib » Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:26 am

I think it's fine stuff - I had a motorcycle with the lower front bodywork made of coroplast and duct tape that lasted years.

But... the only way to stick it is with double-sided tape or duct tape and it's not very stiff so it won't add a lot of strength to foam.

If thought of as semi-disposable, it's great.
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby SuperTroll » Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:16 am

From my understanding, the newer Coroplast can be had with UV inhibitors......and properly laminated to the foam, it would be stronger than if used alone.

Everyone has an opinion, what we need is an experiment to see how it actually works.....anyone got a piece of foam and an old election sign to use in a demo?
Keep thinking outside the box and all manner of ideas will become reality......

http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/alb ... Ul?start=0
SuperTroll
Teardrop Master

Postby GuitarPhotog » Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:35 am

Coroplast is difficult to paint and almost impossible to glue.

I built a tail box for my recumbent bike (think bike trunk) from it and had to use nylon cable ties to hold it together. No glue would bond to the surface.

I've been told that the sign printers must use special solvent-based ink when screen printing on coroplast.

I don't think it would be an appropriate material for a trailer exterior.

<Chas>
GuitarPhotog
Silver Donating Member

Postby Miriam C. » Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:39 pm

Sid&Sides did a TD out of Coroplast, at least I think that is what it was. Bubbled in the sun in spite of being attached with the 3m tape they used. The problem with this and foam is how to attach it. You won't be able to use screws and trim per the usual float because there is no frame to screw into... :thumbdown:
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby eatatjoz » Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:30 pm

I played with the stuff during the last election cycle, and the only glue that I could make stick was...
Silicone sealant. Plain old bathroom white 100% silicone, and it worked great.

It got me to thinking about an EMT frame, filled with Styrofoam, and wrapped with Chloroplast.
If I find an axle or trailer for almost nothing, I may try it.
eatatjoz
Teardrop Master

Postby StandUpGuy » Fri Dec 02, 2011 7:42 am

But why struggle to figure out how to use it? It fades in the sun and the surface indents with your fingernail leaving a white line. The whole idea of Coroplast is it is made slightly stiff by the channels running through it like cardboard. If you are just gluing it over something else like a "skin" then what is the point? There are other skins UV protected and durable.
StandUpGuy
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby GPW » Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:41 am

Built many model RC planes from Corroplast, even had one published in the ‘90s ... great stuff , but doesn’t last in the sun , gets brittle splits in the flutes... Great as "semi-disposable" as Angib stated... It glues better if you Lightly run some Heat (propane torch) over the surface first .... The key word is LIGHTLY !!!

I still think thin cardboard (non-corrugated) would make a fine laminate finish on a Foamie trailer ... Cheap , strong , takes paint well (no sanding ) .... so easy to glue and waterproof... :thinking:
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Todah Tear » Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:36 am

Check out the FAQ section of http://www.coroplast.com

We use coroplast storage containers at work. These containers sit outside for a time...yes even in that triple digit heat this summer. They hold up just fine.

Todah
"It is not good to have zeal without knowledge, nor to be hasty and miss the way." Proverbs 19:2 Image
Todah Tear
Platinum Donating Member

Postby GPW » Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:10 am

Seems there might be different grades of Corroplast ... Down the street , a farmer used corroplast (left over election signs) to cover some hay ... It looked good for a couple years , but now is reduced to shreds ... That’s about 3 years outside ... :roll:
OTOH, the foam coffee cup somebody tossed in the woods eleven years ago seems just fine ... crumbs for thought ... :thinking:
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby DJT » Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:45 am

We built storage boxes for winter camping out if cloroplast (or equivalent) a few years ago. Folded them and used 1/4" bolts, fender washers, and pop rivets to hold it together. If I remember it might have been UV rated for outdoor signs?
DJT
Gold Donating Member

Return to Foamies