Cardboard skin ...???

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Postby allan1 » Sun Jan 29, 2012 12:58 pm

What I've done for cardboard construction is to laminate sheets (with regular wood glue)to each other. Sheet were coated with polyurethane to waterproof. I once made a play fort (48" cube with a 1/3 loft) for my daughter using this method. The walls were made as an exaggerated Ibeam (main panel 2 layers & "beams" were 4 layer ) which I found to be rigid and strong. It took a lot of rough housing before she decided that she wanted to be a princess not a tomboy. The corners were built up lap joints that tied the walls together (duct tape was my clamping method). There was no roof (if there had been I would have made a couple spars and laminated a 2" panel on edge). It was easy to sand and paint.
Can't find the picture I'm thinking of but it showed 4 laminated cardboard barstools with a VW beetle sitting on top of them - shows the strength of lamination.
I think the insulating factor is a drawback but the soundproofing it could provide. suppose??? a TD wall height I beam is made of 2 layers, foam sandwiched on both side, fabric , paint??? Cardboard could be cut easily to make arches, bows,etc that might otherwise be difficult in wood.
allan1
Donating Member

Postby allan1 » Sun Jan 29, 2012 1:09 pm

GPW wrote:Here’s the typical art store chipboard , and sizes/thicknesses http://www.utrechtart.com/Utrecht-Chipb ... 85.utrecht ... a little small for our needs , but you know it comes bigger , like Bill said , the box makers probably eat up a lot of that stuff making boxes, like cereal boxes ... just printed chipboard ... It’s out there ... another Quest ... :o
Could sheets this size be applied similar to shakes or shingles - overlapping so you work with the size you can find. A nice Victorian shingle effect.

:roll: :roll: Paper making project ??? could a TD shape be made with a wire screen mesh and then sprayed with cellulose inside and out? mix the adhesive into the celulose?
allan1
Donating Member

Postby Treeview » Sun Jan 29, 2012 1:20 pm

Cardboard foams+spray foam=any possible shape

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/dak/s ... 81196.html
Treeview
The 300 Club

Postby GPW » Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:21 am

Shingles , dragon scales ... Sure that would work!!! .. Start at the bottom with a solid course , than overlap as shingles , gluing them solid as you go ... Schmaybe’ a way to use up all those writing tablet backs I’ve been saving ... sure should be STRONG , overlapped and all ... Very “decorativeâ€
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:01 am

Now here’s a silly idea ... cut open used Al beer cans and make shingles/scales out of those ... would be cool eh ! 8)
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby allan1 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:25 am

GPW wrote:Now here’s a silly idea ... cut open used Al beer cans and make shingles/scales out of those ... would be cool eh ! 8)
A beer drop? Sponsor ship from ones favourite beverage company? It could still be called a foamie couldn't it - or an ex foamie. Make mine a Guinness.
allan1
Donating Member

Postby SteveW » Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:29 pm

Hmm, don't roaches like to eat on and breed in cardboard? :thinking: :shock:
That thought alone would keep me from building a cardboard TT, regardless of all other benefits.
Steve
The build is on.
SteveW
Teardrop Master

Postby wagondude » Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:40 pm

SteveW wrote:Hmm, don't roaches like to eat on and breed in cardboard? :thinking: :shock:
That thought alone would keep me from building a cardboard TT, regardless of all other benefits.

A little epoxy would prevent that issue. And roaches will eat and breed almost anywhere (even plywood). If it is organic in any way it is suseptible.

Bill
Bill

TnTTT ORIGIONAL 200A LANTERN CLUB
wagondude
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby SteveW » Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:05 am

True, and true.
Steve
The build is on.
SteveW
Teardrop Master

Postby GPW » Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:49 am

Roaches do like Corrugated cardboard , but we’re not talking about that material here .... Non corrugated chipboard is the material of subject , and by the time you waterproof it , it would be inedible by anything (plastic impregnated) except maybe a Goat ... :roll: Watch out for hungry Goats ... and frozen Turkeys ... :lol:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby linuxmanxxx » Tue Feb 07, 2012 3:08 pm

I like that beer can idea that just sounds too cool indeed but what about all those sharp edges at the bottom of the shingles it would require like an epoxy coating over all of it to make it safe and not slice anyone up but man that would be cool. Not epoxy but something uv resistant and clear.
linuxmanxxx
500 Club

Postby GPW » Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:36 pm

You could get a small device to roll the edges , but it would be a giant PIA doing like 12,000 beer cans .... Fun emptying them though ... :D
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby mikeschn » Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:47 pm

I designed a teardrop that looked like a six pack of beer once... Can't find it now though. Does anyone ever remember seeing it?

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby mikeschn » Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:50 pm

Oh that's why I couldn't find it. It was a 12 pack, not a 6 pack!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby linuxmanxxx » Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:09 pm

Lol Mike you are a cadamaniac indeed :applause:
linuxmanxxx
500 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Foamies