On Covering ...

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

On Covering ...

Postby GPW » Sat Jun 02, 2012 8:35 am

We get the foam box made , everything looks good , and now the Covering ... :o not everybody’s favorite part , usually because they’ve never done it before ... The basic application of the fabric.canvas/etc. is pretty easy in the middle , but it’s the edges that seem to cause trouble ... :twisted:
I think we’d all like to hear the various ideas on how to better finish those Edges and make them look GOOD !!! Any thoughts/opinions would be appreciated ...
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Re: On Covering ...

Postby pete42 » Sat Jun 02, 2012 9:03 am

pinking shears or bias tape?

make a big ol' bag and have edges all under trailer?

buy a factory made trailer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!WTH......................pete's gone mad.......... :x

someday I will try and post a picture........... :pictures:

pete
pete42
Super Lifetime Member

Postby GPW » Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:28 am

Pete, more coffee... Quick !!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

You know I have two pair of pinking shears , and neither cut worth (your word here) ... Wonder if they can be sharpened , I do sharpen my own scissors , but never tried Pinking shears ... :o
Wide , like 10”- 12" bias tape sure would be good for the reinforcing strips too eh ? 8) (all the aircraft tricks seem to apply here :thumbsup: ) I cheated and used the FG tape over my seams ... :R
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby millstone » Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:27 am

About four days after I finished covering my camper shell, I asked my wife what, exactly bias tape was, and got the light-bulb moment.

Too late!

I had two seams running across the roof of the shell, lengthwise, which became really offending, between the thickness of the block filler and the lousy job of cutting I did. So I thought, why not use spackling to feather them down to the edge of the shell

That seemed to work to ease the height of the seam. If I'd have done more than one pass at it, I'm sure I could have made the seams disappear.

Mark
millstone
Silver Donating Member

Postby GPW » Sun Jun 03, 2012 5:58 pm

Mark , that looks very Nice !!! 8) With most any finish , some “fillers” would be involved in areas like that .. the more you do , the smoother it gets ... :thumbsup:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Return to Foamies