Foamie' EVAC...

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Foamie' EVAC...

Postby GPW » Thu Aug 02, 2012 6:11 am

Well, with things heating up in the Gulf , the suspected tropical storms are starting to develop... :o Folks around here starting the yearly preparations (the wife has had her bags packed since June 1) ... Got the little Foamie ready .... Wondering if this year we’ll have to do the ,mandatory camping somewhere else ... :frightened:
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Re: Foamie' EVAC...

Postby eaglesdare » Thu Aug 02, 2012 6:57 am

i hope not for your sake! but don't forget, if you need a place to park the foamie, you are welcome here. :wine:
Louella
May the foam be with you.
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:32 am

Thanks , much appreciated , the offer ... :thumbsup: 8) Only one problem , leave me there for a couple days with nothing to do and we’ll have your second trailer done and a third started... :o :lol: :lol: :lol:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby eaglesdare » Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:08 am

hey that is not a problem. the wife and i can shop for the parts as well as many other things. :wine:
Louella
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Thu Aug 02, 2012 4:02 pm

Shopping IS her middle name .... not really , but you know what I mean ... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Sat Aug 04, 2012 6:30 am

Ernesto getting ready to enter the Gulf ... and then who knows where it will go ??? Lots of heat in the Gulf to power it up ... Dragged my Foamie over to the Studio , started packing it with crates of supposedly necessary gear ... Including a new tarp and poles /stakes ... (learned that from Eagle ... always bring a tarp ... :thumbsup: )
The wife and I discussed the small space and the “accomidations” ... I told her if she feels claustrophobic , we can take turns inside ...
Still don’t have the requisite air conditioner ... thinking of just waiting till the last minute and doing the conversion , on the road ... pretty simple , cut a hole , stick the AC in ... The Plug from the hole , saved to make a door ... so the AC can be retracted, moved when not needed ... Simple ... something to do :roll:
Making up a Foamie repair kit (for just such times ) ... can of spray foam , scrap of 2” , some extra canvas /glue , paint , brush , etc., etc. All fits in a milk crate ... Storage will not be an issue with the paw paw camper top on the back of the pickup TV ... just putting all the trailer gear in the trailer ... ballast ... Best to be Ready , even if it turns out we don’t need it ... (hopefully :worship: ) Good Practice !!!
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby eaglesdare » Sat Aug 04, 2012 7:14 am

yup that tarp came in handy all and i do mean ALL of last years camping season. this year we've used the easy up. but i can't do the easy up by myself, the tarp i can.

hoping this is all just practice for you glen. :worship:
Louella
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Sat Aug 04, 2012 7:51 am

I hope so too !!! :o Good practice for camping , I’d probably bring all the same stuff for that too ... plus the fishing poles , Beer, etc. ;)
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:04 am

Looks like Ernesto is going to pass waaay South of us !!! 8) Hope it doesn’t make land in any populated areas ... :frightened:

Better prepared now , the season is just warming up ... ~ Sept 10 is the Peak ... we’ll see how it goes ... Been lucky the past few years ... :worship:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:59 am

Well now , expecting the arrival of Isaac .. and although I won’t be bugging out , my Foamie was built for just such occasions ... The Foamie will be stored in the Studio (bunker) and may have some use yet depending how things go ... We could have guests , or it’s just a good place to store all the Beer and Ice for the Hurricane Party ... :D
Had it been a bigger storm , The Foamie would have been hitched to the truck and we’d be Outta’ here by now ...

Note: If you don’t hear from me for a couple days / week , it’s because the power is out, lines are down .... If you never hear from me again , keep building those Foamies ... :thumbsup:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby eaglesdare » Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:54 am

stay safe, we'll be thinking of you. :worship:
Louella
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:01 am

Thanks Eagle , I’ll be thinking of you guys (and Ladies) too ...

Got the Foamie inside ... looks tiny in the Studio :o Looks splotchy cause’ it’s wet from the morning dew... Got a couple tree frogs living in the upper door seam , they can’t get inside , but they've been there for a couple months now ...
Attachments
TDsafe.jpg
TDsafe.jpg (155.65 KiB) Viewed 733 times
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby pete42 » Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:56 am

"there's no place like foam" even the frogs think so............
be safe my friend huricanes and anything don't mix.

pete
pete42
Super Lifetime Member

Postby GPW » Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:13 am

Thanks Pete !!!! :thumbsup:

Good news, it’s not strengthening as much as they thought it would ... :worship:

A little Drama at the end of the summer... :roll: Got all my “stuff” together... it’s like going camping ... sorta’ ... in my cupboard under the stairs ... Guess I could sleep in the Foamie , just to make it “official” :R :lol:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:09 am

Well, this past week was what I was preparing for all along ... " Mission Accomplished!!!” :thumbsup:
Although we “sheltered in place” ,Foamie resting safely in the Studio, all the camping ideas and gear applied .... Plus I learned about what a valuable tool a Generator is .... My neighbor brought over his spare after the storm subsided (Fri.) and I was able to keep a real fan blowing on “Her Worship” who up to that time was complaining about the heat ... TV worked too , and I was able to plug in the refrigerator ... Now a generator is on my list of things to get ... noisy little sods , but worth it just to keep “her “ comfortable ... :roll: Too bad I didn’t put a little AC in the Foamie , the gen could have powered that too ... :thinking:
The 5 day Ice Chest worked Great , even in this heat , on the fifth day it was mostly cold water , just above freezing ... Kept the Beer Cold eh ... 8) :beer:

.. on a side note , I had a 12v Deep discharge marine battery which I keep charged in the Studio, used that to power the DC fan I borrowed from the Foamie ... ran for 3 days , and didn’t really discharge the battery at all ... :thumbsup: By the time I started getting the Solar Panels out , the generator showed up ... so didn’t get to try that under “actual” conditions...

All that Camping talk/discussions made me much better prepared this time ... Big THANKS to all !!! :thumbsup: 8) :D
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Next

Return to Foamies