What the Foamie plane guys are doing ...

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

What the Foamie plane guys are doing ...

Postby GPW » Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:32 am

Found this ... pretty interesting foam construction techniques that may (or may not) be applicable to our Foamie trailers ... Just more info FYI... http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1587275
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Re: What the Foamie plane guys are doing ...

Postby eaglesdare » Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:16 am

that's pretty cool. my boys would love to get into this stuff, but i just don't have the skills for it.
Louella
May the foam be with you.
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:34 am

I was just thinking we could apply some of these principles , especially those using the thinner sheet foams ... Things like a wing airfoil section could be turned into a curved roof , or nose ... The video on the Fuselage , interesting that modular sections could be “bent” for a nice rounded edge and no gluing ... Sort of a cut and fold foamie trailer ... :o How Simple is that ...??? :thinking:

If your boys want to get started , Little hand launch gliders made of 1/4” foam sheets are great Fun , and teaches basic aerodynamics... Very Thrifty too ... all that radio/motor business comes “later”... so if they lose interest , you won’t be out a lot of bucks ... :roll: I have plans , if needed... ;)
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby aggie79 » Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:41 am

eaglesdare wrote:that's pretty cool. my boys would love to get into this stuff, but i just don't have the skills for it.

Eagle,

I'm sure you have the skills for it but if not I wouldn't worry about it. My father can't change a light bulb without instructions and my mother isn't much better. Somehow their four sons got into wood and metal working, hot rodding cars, motorcycles, etc. While we weren't into planes, our first projects were model rockets. We started out with kits and then "rolled our own." Your boys will do just fine even if all you can do is give them encouragement (although I think you can do much more and are selling your abilities short.)

Take care,
Tom
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby wagondude » Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:16 am

:thumbsup: I agree with Tom. Show them the videos and hand them some materials. You might be surprised what they come up with. You don't even need a hot wire to cut the foam. A utility knife, a ruler and a little supervision and they will surprize you with how fast they pick it up.
Bill

TnTTT ORIGIONAL 200A LANTERN CLUB
wagondude
1000 Club
1000 Club

Return to Foamies