Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Re: #1

Postby mezmo » Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:46 pm

I like the profile and the plan for the hatch.

Great looking little model there too !

Planned redundancy is a good thing I think,
especially when it comes to managing water.

Cheers,
Norm/mezmo
If you have a house - you have a hobby.
mezmo
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby KevinC » Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:59 pm

I really like the scale model idea. Looks great! :)
Subscribe FREE at:http://www.cooltears.com
KevinC
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Wolffarmer » Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:01 am

Looking gooooooooood. I also would like a bit bigger trailer. Not a standy but more a squishy, With my hole in the floor then can stand up. And from one Idahonian to another I know about dusty roads. It took me some time to get my rear doors and hatch to seal up to a passable condition.
"these guys must be afraid of the dark"
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Postby ghcoe » Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:54 pm

Thanks guys.
Yes I like the model too. It looks good in my mind and on paper, but the model really helps with the unexpected. Also it gives me a feel to how much structure the foam has. I am satisfied with the feel of the build and I still do not have the roof on. :D
George.

Gorrilla Glue, Great Stuff and Gripper. The three G's of foamie construction.

My build viewtopic.php?t=54099
Working with flashing for foamie construction viewtopic.php?f=55&t=60303
Making a hot wire http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=55323
ghcoe
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby GPW » Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:02 am

George , regarding the “structure” of foam ... People always ask me what I’ve been doing ... When I tell them I’m making trailers out of Foam , they always look at me like I’m Crazy ! :o Got that reaction when we first proposed the idea here ... :roll: But when they see it (and beat on it ) they’re always surprised by how strong it is !!! Doing a model like you did certainly confirms it’s “structural” ability , and if you cover it with any fabric it’ll be that much Stronger ... My first Foamie was a model too ... after I made that , I Knew it would work !!! :thumbsup:

There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby ghcoe » Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:05 am

Nice model GPW.
George.

ghcoe
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Shadow Catcher » Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:10 am

One of the things you need to think about is, what happens to the rain? One of the perennial problems with most/many teardrops is rain making its way into the galley and unless you cover/shelter the galley end, rain will wrap over the edge and flow easily into the galley. Compass Rose because it has a flat roof has Kedar rail continuously on three sides so that rain even when the tarps are not on will flow forward off of the front.
83771 you can see that here, and you can see the other problem. When the galley hatch is raised and the tarp not up water can flow forward from the galley hatch past the 'piano hinge' and into the galley. The solution was to install a section of EPDM rubber roof over the hinge and extending out a bit to direct rain away from the opening.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:22 am

Thanks !!! It was the “proof of concept” !

SC, yes , even if it is foam and won’t rot , we still don’t want water in the galley ... it makes the bread all gummy ... :R Intelligent hatch design is the key !!! My first TD galley (wood) turned into an aquarium when it rained ... :shock: Lesson learned , the hard way !!! :frightened:
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Shadow Catcher » Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:13 pm

I usually prefer to learn from some one elses mistakes, but don't mind sharing mine :roll:
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby Mary C » Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:12 pm

Shadow What is EPDM rubber? I want to cover my hatch with something since I plan to use a piano hinge under canvas. just planning here too! :thinking:

Mary C
Mary C
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Shadow Catcher » Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:21 pm

EPDM (ethylene propylene diene monomer (M-class) is rubber roofing and is available in white. About a 20 year life expectancy when used on a roof. It is used on some of the larger RV's http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/rubb ... epairs.htm
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby couponjnp » Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:42 pm

How about using same idea as car trunks. I mean, if we can make channels below galley hinge that guide leaked water to sides and again side channels will guide towards bottom. Little complicated to make but should perform equivalent to car trunk (leave water out). JMHO

JNP
couponjnp
Teardrop Advisor

Postby KCStudly » Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:54 pm

EPDM is also available in black and is commonly available in big box hdwr stores as pond liner, although in this application it is probably more economical to order it as "rolled rubber strip material". One of the more favorable features of EPDM is that it is generally UV resistant.

The trunk channel thing has been done... forget who did it. Anything is possible, but some things are more difficult than others.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby ghcoe » Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:58 pm

couponjnp wrote:How about using same idea as car trunks. I mean, if we can make channels below galley hinge that guide leaked water to sides and again side channels will guide towards bottom. Little complicated to make but should perform equivalent to car trunk (leave water out). JMHO

JNP

This is kind of what I am planning to do. If you look at the model, there is what I call a sub roof that when the hatch is closed will be directly under the hatch roof. This sub roof will have channels grooved into it so that any water that may come in from the top of the hatch will flow to ether side and then down along where the hatch meets the body. Even when the hatch is up water will not be able to get to the galley because of this sub roof.
George.

ghcoe
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby couponjnp » Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:43 pm

[/quote]

This is kind of what I am planning to do. If you look at the model, there is what I call a sub roof that when the hatch is closed will be directly under the hatch roof. This sub roof will have channels grooved into it so that any water that may come in from the top of the hatch will flow to ether side and then down along where the hatch meets the body. Even when the hatch is up water will not be able to get to the galley because of this sub roof.[/quote]

Hmm....I wasn't sure about it from your model. That may be my oversight and inexperience. Eager to see outcome.

Good luck!!

JNP
couponjnp
Teardrop Advisor

PreviousNext

Return to Foamies