Weeping / drip edge

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Weeping / drip edge

Postby Don L. » Sun Feb 07, 2016 1:32 pm

I was reading in the thrifty thread and Mary mentioned some weeping problems with the canvas. It was where the canvas wraps under the floor on the outside.
Can I ask a little more about that? Was it condensation that drips down there? Because when I think of weeping that means the moisture is coming out of the canvas itself right? I wouldn't think that would be possible.
I think Mary said her trailer was in the barn and it was doing this, correct me if I'm wrong.

I read in another thread, can't remember which one exactly, but a drip edge was being recommended. Is that related to the weeping problem?

I would want to incorporate a drip edge on my build because I can see how that a area could have a problem drying out after rains or daily condensation developing.
Thoughts?
Link to my foamie camper build viewtopic.php?f=55&t=67321
instagram #don_leister_violin.rva
Don L.
Teardrop Master

Re: Weeping / drip edge

Postby GPW » Mon Feb 08, 2016 1:03 pm

Don, we had to resort to a temporary drip edge just to get our underneath dry ... It rains all the time here so is a Big problem ... It really works , the bottom of the FoamStream in the nose is dry as toast ... Just waiting on some warmer weather to do some new undercoating and install a more permanent drip edge all around ... It really doesn’t have to be much , just a bit lower than the wall/bottom edge ...

Here’s a drawing I made for mine ... note I no longer have to wrap the fabric under the floor because the upper ribs support the foam to the floor ... That way the whole floor can be better undercoated and remain problem free... Any rain or condensation just falls down to the lowest point( drip edge) and falls harmlessly on the ground , not wicking under the floor as before... keeping that area soaked ... :roll:
Attachments
FS Drip edge .png
FS Drip edge .png (34.45 KiB) Viewed 1566 times
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Mary C » Mon Feb 08, 2016 6:19 pm

Where I wrapped the canvas under the floor, the rain wood follow the canvas and go under the floor on (plywood) there the canvas was not as finished and not sealed as it was on the sides and it allowed water to just hang around and it allowed an area for mildew growth, canvas rot and wood rot so, My brother suggested putting some wood all the way around. We did and used Big stretch between the canvas and the wood. Hopefully it will hold up and keep water from going in between. So my drip edge is wood it hangs down about 2 inches. we put a bead of Big Stretch around the underside of the wood sealing it from road spray. I really liked the look of the wood cedar and it added about 10 pounds but oh well. GPW used a little metal I used 1x6 cedar.

Mary C.
Mary C
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Don L. » Tue Feb 09, 2016 7:51 pm

Thanks for the detailed descriptions, that really helps. I can see how a drip edge would help a lot. If you are interested I can do a pencil sketch of what my plan at this point.
I'm not building much, well I did sand and prime and paint the chassis. And have cut out the plywood floor and put some roofing tar on the bottom and some polyurethane on the top. Really stunk up my shop good too. It dried enough to move it outside under a roof so I can have some decent air in my shop again.

I realized I havn't introduced myself much so here's a bit about myself. I work in my shop almost everyday repairing and making violins. It has two rooms, a big room with the machine tools on one side, customer area and arriving and departing instruments on the other and a smaller room where I am most of the time, rehairing bows and the setup work. I live with my bride of 12 years and our 12 year old son. Sometimes we play music together- violin, viola and Henry on cello, he's really good. I play more fiddle music but do enjoy the viola. Since the viola is bigger than a violin when I play it has the added benefit of keeping my head from looking too large. (humor)
Don L.
Teardrop Master

Postby KCStudly » Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:35 pm

Cool Don, welcome. I poked around and found your website. Neat. I bet you could build a very beautiful woody TD or hybrid if you were so inclined. As much as I like and support the foamie method of construction, a master craftsman such as yourself could really work some magic on a woody.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Wed Feb 10, 2016 9:35 am

Violins .... NICE !!! :applause: .... I trained under a violinmaker , now make electric guitars and Tube amps from scratch, and have an oldies band ... :dancing
KC’s right !!! With your advanced skills , you could build anything you want ... :thumbsup: 8) :applause:

Here’s an idea , instead of a separate drip edge ,why not just build and attach the sides down past the floor a little ... :thinking:
EDIT: Oops !!! Another drawing ...
Attachments
dripedge2.png
dripedge2.png (33.44 KiB) Viewed 1464 times
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Don L. » Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:47 pm

You're right I could easily dream up something fancy, how about curly maple paneling with inlaid purfling for pin striping? :) I seriously have very little time to build my camper even with foam. It is going to be more of a canned ham standy so it has to be light but strong.
I have been following your thread KC and admiring your work, really nice! And with lots of good pics!

GPW, that's funny that your a painter and trained under a violinmaker, I trained as a painter/printmaker and now make violins. Although much of my time is repairing.

Thanks for the ideas for the drip edge. I'll try to get a sketch of what my plan is.

Plan B allows me to install a couple of exterior access doors so the floor will be level with the opening and the door frame has some room to attach itself, also my entry door can be a little lower. Hope that makes sense. Downside is it adds weight, still don't have a great drip edge but that could be added on.
Attachments
floor edit.jpg
floor edit.jpg (173.54 KiB) Viewed 1436 times
Don L.
Teardrop Master

Postby tac422 » Wed Feb 10, 2016 7:15 pm

The Big Pink is made like Doc's drawing, the foam extends past the floor.

Here's the detail in Mike's thread starting here ...
viewtopic.php?f=55&t=44091&start=45

and how he ended up doing it here...
http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?p=829675#829675

and a close-up of in my bumper picture here...
viewtopic.php?f=55&t=56441&start=351
tac422
500 Club

Postby Don L. » Wed Feb 10, 2016 10:12 pm

Thanks for the links Tac. I enjoyed reading your thread, the teardrop looks great!
Don L.
Teardrop Master

Postby Mary C » Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:43 pm

WeIcome Don, just jump right in , I like that. When my husband and I were dating #^^#$$^& years ago his next door neighbor repaired band instruments for the Atlanta school system. I remember when we were introduced he was in the middle of restringing a bow and re padding a claironet. I was impressed at his workshop and truly interested in his work as I had never seen anything like it before. If you do this I am sure you will do well with making a foamie. Now to clarify even in the barn there is a lot of moisture when we have days and days of rain. the moisture would bead on the sides and roll down as it did little droplets would just go under the sides to the bottom. The summer I built we had 22 days of rain in one month and 20 days the next month. Everything was wet. In the mornings my concrete porch was wet. I have never seen it that bad I decided the regular rain would do this as well so I decided on the wood drip edge.

Mary C.
Mary C
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby GPW » Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:57 am

Don, even funnier , I made intaglio prints for 30+ years ... Then switched to Oils ... became an impressionist (relative color) devotee .. :D

Mary , I went out and looked at the FoamStream very carefully and have decided to go with a wooden drip edge along the sides much like you have ... I can get my buddy Vincent to trim the edges at the guitar factory ... It is the easiest thing I can do as we already have attachment points along the sides ... Where the floor ends stick out ... Thank goodness we didn’t cut them back like we wanted ...
I just wonder now what kind of wood would be the best as far as rot resistance ...??? We will slobber it thoroughly with "the mix”, and paint it ( and back paint it too ) but still we’d like a little extra protection by using the right wood too ...
The nose is another story ... I’m thinking of Aluminum flashing with Eternabond tape ... or maybe just more Foam ... :thinking: Any more strips and it’s going to end up looking like an F9 ... :o
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby ScottE » Sun Feb 28, 2016 10:15 am

I found that wrapping my wall to plywood floor edges with 4" fiberglass tape, epoxied in place before covering with canvas, provides a scuff resistant, waterproof corner. Remember to wash away any amine blush after your epoxy cures so TBII adheres well to the surface!
Anything is possible, if you don't know it can't be done!
ScottE
Teardrop Advisor

Return to Foamies