Truck cap/Camper cap build

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Re: Truck cap/Camper cap build

Postby RJ Howell » Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:57 am

Nodrog wrote:Hey there, I think you should be able to replace those one sided pulls with 2 sided pulls...you cut off the stop at the bottom (which keeps the pull from coming off the end of the zipper), add a new slide (2 sided) that fits the zipper, then crimp on a new stop with pliers. Pretty simple. You just need a 2 sided pull that fits the zipper. Probably they can help you at the store where you bought the zipper? I think this is kind of like the zipper foot, if you don't know what tools are available, you don't know how to address a problem, right?
Also, weren't you talking about ripstop nylon? I don't think it's so easy to sew, myself. About 40 years ago, I sewed a really nice down bag from a kit. Took plenty of time, believe me! And that ripstop fabric? Good grief, it would get a little gather on the back side of where you were sewing, and sew in a big crazy doubled over bunch of fabric that you couldn't tell was there until it started pulling funny! Then you look, and oops, time to get the seam ripper. Even a couple of inches to fix without tearing up that thin stuff....
I did sewing machine repair for mom, being able to sew a little has always been handy...but I never saw how anybody could make more than $.25 an hour sewing anything!....Anyway...good luck, Nodrog

Thank you I will see if they have a two sided replacement! Hadn't thought of that.

I look at how much material I was pushing through the little 1954 Singer and how easy to fold/roll ripstop would have been. When I mentioned it to my sister (how sews well) she said kinda the same thing as you. "Ripstop is a slippery little bugger." I guess each has it's own challenages!
RJ Howell
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby RJ Howell » Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:06 am

Philip wrote:
Nodrog wrote: I did sewing machine repair for mom, being able to sew a little has always been handy...but I never saw how anybody could make more than $.25 an hour sewing anything!....Anyway...good luck, Nodrog

Head down to your local auto trim shop or truck tarp shop and do some pricing. There is good money in sewing.

This little canvas job R.J. did would run at least 3 to 5 hundred at a commercial shop.

I was talking to Wifey about just that. My thought was $500 plus for what I have. Mine $250 cause I sew like crap.. :lol: Would be fun to get it priced out.
Thought being probably $100-$150 just for design/pattern making, then cost of actually making. Now, with it done and all those decisions made, I should draw up a pattern if someone decides to make one (and make life easier for them).
RJ Howell
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby GPW » Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:47 am

“ Now, with it done and all those decisions made, I should draw up a pattern if someone decides to make one (and make life easier for them).” That sounds like a good idea !!! And considerate too !!! ;)

I have a 1953 Singer HD Hand crank sewing machine … Works for all my needs …
What we found … sewing is cheap until you need someone to sew something for you … hahahaha :lol:
Attachments
singerbase1.jpg
singerbase1.jpg (138.96 KiB) Viewed 2724 times
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby NevadaBlue » Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:46 pm

I just finished reading through the build so far. I’ll never build a foamie, but I have learned a LOT.
Thank you for such a great thread, excellent documentation, including mistakes and brilliant finds. It means a lot. Some folks are afraid to show errors or mistakes, but that is how we learn.

Thank you again, and great job on the build!

:applause:
—-
Ken
NevadaBlue
Teardrop Master

Postby RJ Howell » Fri Oct 11, 2019 6:42 am

GPW wrote:
I have a 1953 Singer HD Hand crank sewing machine … Works for all my needs …

Mine's treadle! I have one nicely developed calf now... Oh and my rhythm has improved! 8)
RJ Howell
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby RJ Howell » Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:07 am

Okay, so looks like all I can do is some .jpg's, yet if someone wants the sketchup file, PM me and I will send.

Side panel, need 2.

Front

Bottom/underside, need 2

If someone is do make one, I'd be happy to do a write up on it, kinda a how-to so you don't have to struggle as much as I did.
RJ Howell
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby RJ Howell » Thu Oct 24, 2019 4:05 pm

This build has been so much fun! Okay, a little frustration at times trying to figure out how to, design changes and re-do's, yet still worth every moment. I learned so much from this build and a lot of this is because of those that assisted.

This I consider the end of this thread. I wanted to be certain to thank all of you before it just dies away.

Will be around if anyone has questions. Happy to give back as those have for me.
RJ Howell
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby NevadaBlue » Thu Oct 24, 2019 6:42 pm

Thanks for doing the thread. It was quite interesting. :)
—-
Ken
NevadaBlue
Teardrop Master

Postby GPW » Fri Oct 25, 2019 5:55 am

Thank you RJ … !!!  8) :thumbsup:
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Staryder61 » Wed Apr 29, 2020 6:44 am

RJ, Thank you for a great thread.. :) :applause:
I myself am not into doing a foamy,, though I do get satisfaction out of the threads on here for them.. and can learn a lot in going over them..
I caught yours this morning,, after a huge thunder storm woke me up at 3 am..
And I have went through your entire build..
Great job and craftsmanship you have put into your build.. :thumbsup: :applause: :thumbsup:
I know this posting is an older one.. I also believe that some should be bumped to keep them current...
Thank you again for a great thread and detail in doing so..

Be safe and healthy always,
Stay safe, David

Our CTC
6' X 12' CTC = Texas Sized Tackle Box
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=74704
Staryder61
Silver Donating Member

Postby RJ Howell » Thu Apr 30, 2020 5:31 am

Thank you very much! It was a fun build/experience. Taught me a lot :D

The truck has changed again, actually knew it would at some point. The new build is at :
http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=72408&start=30

RJ Howell
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Jess07 » Sun Mar 13, 2022 10:30 pm

Layout done! Used a section of PVC tubing I have around to mark-out the roof curve.

That of course lead to the cutting. Used my saber saw for the rough in cut. And see how close I got it?
Funny, I didn't notice my Camper in the background and how it lined up on the cap.. Cute, but too long... LOL, that wasn't planned.

Checking the angle I hope for and how it will look. I like! Used the back hatch on the existing cap as my baseline. 20 degrees.

Now for my first attempt at joining two pieces of foam.. A full piece of duck tape underneath, un-fold, Gorilla glue on one half, spritz of water on the other, fold together, tape and await the result. Waiting is the hardest part..

I see my first mistake already.. I told myself 'no' square inside corners! I'm also seeing I want to angle the panel as it comes to the cab of the truckhunter. May be able to fix that square I.S. cut then, or just add a piece of foam and go at it again. Really like that you can do that!

I'm going to try the skill saw for cutting the 20 degree angle on the bottom and top. Figure I need a 12 or less toothed blade. Curious if anyone has attempted flipping the blade as we used to with vinyl siding?
Hey, what's some experimenting...

Yes! I came across Desk to Dirtbag in the last few months and immediately decided to imitate the design of his Tacoma. It's the most innovative sleeping platform I've seen. I love your split bed design more that D2D's "shelf" as it is more convenient to move around and does not require a separate board. While I loved the locking mechanism (a necessity in my build) I'm curious what it would be like using this layout. Marine carpet is a good idea as well. Do you have plans to keep something specific in your cabinets in the side?
Last edited by Jess07 on Wed Mar 16, 2022 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jess07
Teardrop Inspector

Postby RJ Howell » Mon Mar 14, 2022 7:37 am

< I love your split bed design more that D2D's "shelf" as it is more convenient to move around and does not require a separate board. While I loved the locking mechanism (a necessity in my build) I'm curious what it would be like using this layout. Marine carpet is a good idea as well. Do you have plans to keep something specific in your cabinets in the side?>

The Topper barely lived the season before I started the updated build. It was just too confined for me.. The exercise was actually to build using foam board and see how far I could take it. Even then my mind was thinking lift-top, but hadn't worked out how.. It did surprise me how strong it was and gave confidence in going further with the next build.

The topper was good for solo fishing trips, yet way too tight for duel runs. The updated build just fit all the requirements and added a good amount of comfort. I am a true fan of pop-tops and its all the designs out there now, I recommend to anyone who asks!

Safe Travels!
RJ Howell
1000 Club
1000 Club

Previous

Return to Foamies