Truck camper build.

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Re: Truck camper build.

Postby dbhosttexas » Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:37 am

GPW wrote:DB, where’s that sketch ??? :o We usually reduce photo sizes on our photo software “ View” in tool bar , “ Tools” , “adjust size “ ( 600X 800 ) works well for this site … Good luck !!!  :thumbsup:

Well it was here yesterday. It would appear this forum is not Google Photos friendly... Let me reduce the photo size in GIMP and upload it to the gallery... I was trying to avoid that.

Here it is, I hope...

dbhosttexas
The 300 Club

Postby pchast » Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:06 pm

That works nicely. Thanks.
pchast
Platinum Donating Member

Postby GPW » Fri Sep 20, 2019 4:40 am

That’s very Nice layout !!! Lots of room for your “stuff”. :thumbsup:
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby RJ Howell » Fri Sep 20, 2019 5:49 am

So then the futon/couch is also 'over' the rails? I may be catching up to what you were talking about before (sometimes I'm slow..).
RJ Howell
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby dbhosttexas » Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:34 am

RJ Howell wrote:So then the futon/couch is also 'over' the rails? I may be catching up to what you were talking about before (sometimes I'm slow..).

Yeah, and nothing to apologize for. I am having issues with getting the image up here, finally gave in and created my own gallery here. Not what I wanted to do. I like having my images centralized in google, but it doesn't work well here...

I think I am going to do some experiements on process, dip my toe in as it were. I have done Polyiso foam with polyester resin / fiberglass, I am going to try samples with PMF over XPS, and see if it meets my needs. If it does, I can continue the design...

I know this might sound odd, but I am thinking especialy on the support structure at the back that has to suppor the door, and AC, I will build that from 2x2 structural lumber, using mortise and tenon joinery. I know the joinery is much fancier than most folks would do, but I am looking for maximum strength with minimum weight and potential for failure, and hey, at least I am not talking about using locking miters!
dbhosttexas
The 300 Club

Postby RJ Howell » Fri Sep 20, 2019 12:10 pm

Light dawns on marble head!! I follow now! That opens up a huge area of storage or your water tanks you've been talking about! :thumbsup:

A fella from another group sent me some samples of what he has done with making SIP's with probably the foam you speak of. He said it didn't work as well for him with XPS.. He also sent me a sample of fiberglass molding he formed and gel coated. That's really nice and he suggested I go that way for my lift-top on my ultimate build. I'll watching for you posting on your trials with fiberglass and foam! :roll:

Love to see your interior layout, even if it's still design stage! :)
RJ Howell
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby dbhosttexas » Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:07 pm

Well, after a wet and wild weekend, I am starting to give a bit more thought to the camper design. Since you now get the thought process behind the folding bed. I am experiementing with ways to evvectively pick up from / fill to 4 @ 7 gallon Reliance AquaTainers at once. Either that, or I have to go way over my intended budget and grab a dedicated water tank. I want to separate that off, and drop in a removable cabinet to with areas to organize the stoves, cookware, and other misc camping gear.

For now though, I think I should concentrate on the structural design to support the back of the camper, the Air Conditioner, and the door.
dbhosttexas
The 300 Club

Postby GPW » Tue Sep 24, 2019 4:39 am

DB, and the pontoons and snorkel …. :o
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Tyrtill » Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:17 am

It would appear this forum is not Google Photos friendly...

It isn't but if you make a share link and copy it here https://ctrlq.org/google/photos/ it will spit out a link that you can use. [fimg=800,600]URL HERE[/fimg] to get the pictures to display at a reasonable size. Sometimes you need to use 600,800 depending on the orientation of the picture.

I've always wanted to do a truck camper.... but then I'd have to buy a truck.
Tyrtill
Teardrop Advisor

Postby dbhosttexas » Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:47 pm

Tyrtill wrote:
It would appear this forum is not Google Photos friendly...

It isn't but if you make a share link and copy it here https://ctrlq.org/google/photos/ it will spit out a link that you can use. [fimg=800,600]URL HERE[/fimg] to get the pictures to display at a reasonable size. Sometimes you need to use 600,800 depending on the orientation of the picture.

I've always wanted to do a truck camper.... but then I'd have to buy a truck.

LOL, I'm sure!

I have a truck, and honestly, as much as I love my truck, I am wishing I had bought a different one. I bought a lease return 2004 F150 XLT 4x4 Supercab with the 5.4L 3V engine in early 2006. I was VERY happy with the 2000 Ranger it replaced, but I was single, and Dating with family in mind, I wanted a full size extended cab truck to be able to haul wife and kids around as well as cargo.... So I opted to go up in size to the F150... The engine in this truck tells me Ford forgot how to do what should be simple for them things, like design a durable V8 engine, and spark plugs etc... If it wouldn't absolutely kill the suspension, and was reasonable and legal to do so, I would happily do a Cummins 6BT swap into this thing... Everything else about this truck has been great, but Lord help me the engine is awful.
dbhosttexas
The 300 Club

Postby RJ Howell » Tue Sep 24, 2019 4:20 pm

dbhosttexas wrote: I bought a lease return 2004 F150 XLT 4x4 Supercab with the 5.4L 3V engine in early 2006.

Funny,I have the 2004 V6 version. I can't kill the engine. Living in the Nor'East it's the body rust that's killing me! :shock:
RJ Howell
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby dbhosttexas » Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:05 am

So at least temporarily, I am putting the design on pause, and working with a friend that I believe I have mentioned before, that does boat builds / repairs, and has firsthand experience with fiberglass over foam builds, most specifically poly resin / fiberglass mat, and XPS foam. The key according to him is using lots of Elmers wood glue over the foam to completely seal it before applying the fiberglass mat / resin.
dbhosttexas
The 300 Club

Postby tony.latham » Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:13 am

The key according to him is using lots of Elmers wood glue over the foam to completely seal it before applying the fiberglass mat / resin.

Why not glass cloth and epoxy? It's been used that way directly on XPS foam in the aircraft word for at least thirty years. The epoxy adheres to the foam and would be much stronger than a layer of polyester/glass that isn't bonded to the foam.

:thinking:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby dbhosttexas » Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:18 pm

tony.latham wrote:
The key according to him is using lots of Elmers wood glue over the foam to completely seal it before applying the fiberglass mat / resin.

Why not glass cloth and epoxy? It's been used that way directly on XPS foam in the aircraft word for at least thirty years. The epoxy adheres to the foam and would be much stronger than a layer of polyester/glass that isn't bonded to the foam.

:thinking:

Tony

That will be tested as well... But the cost differential between poly resin, and epoxy resin adds up quickly. Unless someone can recommend a good low cost epoxy resin source...
dbhosttexas
The 300 Club

Postby tony.latham » Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:33 pm

Unless someone can recommend a good low cost epoxy resin source...

I quit polyester resin at least twenty years ago. I used Raka's six-quart epoxy kit for my entire teardrop.

It's about as easy as buttering toast. Almost.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Foamies