Filon to foam adhesive

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Filon to foam adhesive

Postby bhoza01 » Fri Jul 09, 2021 8:46 am

Looking for a little bit of guidance from those who know more and better than I...

Looking for a good, spreadable adhesive to attach filon to XPS for the exterior of my build. Leaning towards contact cement, but not sure if there's a good spreadable option. Three things I need the product to do:
1. Be strong and long lasting (obviously)
2. No two part epoxy! I have a severe allergy to resin, which is why I'm doing Filon ($$$)
3. Must be spreadable, not sprayable. I don't have access to a gun.

Thank you very much!
bhoza01
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Filon to foam adhesive

Postby QueticoBill » Fri Jul 09, 2021 10:42 am

I'd use 3M 30 NF contact adhesive with a roller but not many here would.
QB
A tear with no name: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=67624
QueticoBill
Silver Donating Member

Postby KCStudly » Fri Jul 09, 2021 4:26 pm

In my experience the 30 NF didn't work as well as expected, and that was with wood to foam.

I brushed it on roughed up foam and it seemed to take a lot of (expensive) product to coat.

In my humid climate it took way longer than the instruction time to flash off.

IIRC, the instructions call for 300 lbs from a roller, so a pretty high point load, and I just wasn't able to get that with random gravity clamps (I feared a laminate roller would mar up my okume panels).

Not sure it will stick to frp or other plastics well. Do your homework.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby QueticoBill » Fri Jul 09, 2021 6:03 pm

A number of other RV sites/bulletin boards conclude Staybond E-183 for filon. It is a solvent based contact cement, whereas the 3M 30NF is water based. Unclear if the foam is affected by the Staybond.

As far as pressure, I've just used a mallet and cloth padded piece of 2x4.

I installed a cork floor last fall and used Wakol D 3540, a water based contact cement. Id be tempted to experiment.

I'd also like to experiment with Loctite Power Grab Express All-Purpose Interior Construction Adhesive, a trowel on goop. Some descriptions say good on foam. I do not know how it does in sunlight.
QB
A tear with no name: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=67624
QueticoBill
Silver Donating Member

Postby bhoza01 » Fri Jul 09, 2021 9:36 pm

Thank you all so much for your guidance! Definitely means the world to me and my build.

I am leaning towards the Loctite Power Grab - as its readily available locally for a good price (box store), it's low odor/no VOC/water-based, and it seems pretty resilient to weather. Also, it looks like I won't have to press the crap out of it to get a good seal to the foam.

I like the Staybond product, but it is really expensive (not a completely deal-breaker). However, it dries red, which I fear will bleed through my Arctic White Filon roll.

Going to do a couple tests of composite panels this weekend before I start the build. Here's what I'm planning for my structure: 1/8" birch plywood on the interior, 1-1'2" XPS foam core, and filon on the exterior. I will try a couple different adhesives to see how they work.

Dang, this allergy sucks! Wish I could just glass and epoxy this job and call it good. Unfortunately, that would land me in the ER, and that's no bueno for me or anybody.

Thank you all so much for your help! Excited to get this trailer on the road. Will be sharing pics and progress on here throughout the build.
bhoza01
Teardrop Inspector

Postby greygoos » Sun Jul 11, 2021 7:14 am

i used loctite pl 300 to bond shower surround to foam on a foamie about 5 or 6 years ago. It sits in the woods as a hunting blind and is still going strong
greygoos
Silver Donating Member

Return to Foamies