A stupid, or not, thought. King size foamie squaredrop?

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Re: A stupid, or not, thought. King size foamie squaredrop?

Postby dbhosttexas » Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:36 am

So... looked at the Palomino, the owner / inheritor has title to it. No rot, canvas is in good shape, honestly looks like it may have been replaced within the last decade, no signs of rodents, The folks that had it got it as part of an estate, and had no idea what their Dad had done to it. Tried selling in an estate sale with no takers and just wanted it gone so they could clear out the barn to sell the property...

This leaves me with a quandry. Do I tear down or restore a reasonably decent condition pop up camper?

There are some serious issues I have with a pop up, but foamie "tech" may fix those issues. Mostly the complete lack of insulation due to the big canvas sides and bunk ends. I certainly wouldn'd mind if if I could figure out a foamie way to add insulated hard sided bunk ends and formerly canvas sides...

Basically the issues I see with a PU are...

#1. No insualtion. The canvas sides and bunk ends basically act as giant heating greenhouses. This can be mitigated with alumized mylar covers known as PUGs or Pop Up Gizmos, or home brewed variants of same. And alumized mylar covers for the side canvas.
#2. At least with this unit, no AC. I keep pushing on this due to where I live and where easy camping for me is, HOT and HUMID climate. I would have to adapt the trailer to accept AC. Doable, there is a prime spot for it, but still, work...
#3. The 3 way fridges in pop ups, and truck campers, typically are IMHO uselessly small and inefficient. I would be better off with a quality cooler OR a 12v compressor fridge. This would require tear out, plumbing and electrical reconfiguraiton and trim work.
#4. Pop Up campers are typically low to the ground, and are a serious hinderance off road. There are modern versions with lifted suspension and larger tires. The old units can be lifted, especially leaf spring campers, do a spring over conversion, use lift shackles, and mount up a pair of taller / wider tires.
#5. In the case of many of the free, cheap pop ups, they are going to be older, with all of the decor choices that comes with.

Lots to do. Trying to decide fix it, or tear it apart I don't see any rot in this thing, just aged rubber parts and 1980s decor choices... That can be fixed...
dbhosttexas
The 300 Club

Postby QueticoBill » Tue Aug 03, 2021 11:23 am

I've been thinking about similar size. something just seems very logical about door at center of one end and queen or king bed crosswise at opposite end in 7' wide cabin. I'd like bed at rear like Bowlus, so it sat easily over wheel wells, and enter at tongue end. Seems like better use of space than side door.
QB
A tear with no name: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=67624
QueticoBill
Silver Donating Member

Postby dbhosttexas » Tue Aug 03, 2021 11:54 am

QueticoBill wrote:I've been thinking about similar size. something just seems very logical about door at center of one end and queen or king bed crosswise at opposite end in 7' wide cabin. I'd like bed at rear like Bowlus, so it sat easily over wheel wells, and enter at tongue end. Seems like better use of space than side door.

My thoughs assumng teardown and squaredrop build is thus.

King size bed crosswise at the front of the camper, Jacknife setup to convert to a sofa. AC toward the top of the front. Propane tanks on the tongue.

Galley at the rear end.

I honestly hadn't given door location much thought.
dbhosttexas
The 300 Club

Postby QueticoBill » Tue Aug 03, 2021 1:39 pm

King or queen crosswise - around a foot of length. No big deal. But look at https://bowlus.com/terra-firma/ plan and consider wheel wells.

I only think for 2, but copying Bowlus, door front center, 2 person dinette opposite galley, maybe composting toilet opposite shower, bedroom at back. Around 13' with a queen: 5 for bed, 2 1/2 for shower/toilet, 5 for galley opposite dinette, wall thicknesses. it will be tight to keep axel forward enough to keep tongue weight down but lightweight construction and water and gray water behind axel - under bed - will help. It just the center aisle makes it all so accessible.

Dreaming. Not high on current list of projects. Would rather win lottery and buy a Bowlus and commensurate tow vehicle :)
QB
A tear with no name: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=67624
QueticoBill
Silver Donating Member

Postby dbhosttexas » Tue Aug 03, 2021 3:42 pm

Yeah, the additional sleeping capacity for the wife and I is wasted space.

My biggest issue is there are 2 of us. and the wife insists on a king bed. If I could get away with a short queen much of my consternation would disappear instantly... Hi top contractors cap on the truck with side opening windows to put a window unit and block plate in while parked, and a simple bed platform with folding panels for stowage...

The big issue is, we are big.... Need space to turn in bed...
dbhosttexas
The 300 Club

Previous

Return to Foamies