New build, removable camper on HF utility

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Re: New build, removable camper on HF utility

Postby CRZ42 » Mon Nov 08, 2021 2:48 pm

Progress has been made.
The main shell has been skinned, glued and painted.
Need to finish securing underneath and trim excess.
Rear Hatch has been repaired and strengthened. I still need install the hinge. I'm going to skin the completed door so I can trim it out. I have the parts set aside to also build the second door which I have been avoiding.
Not pictured are the brackets for the jacks and racks they are in the house drying as the weather is a little chilly for spray paint to cure. Still hoping to beat the weather.
CRZ42
Teardrop Builder

Postby CRZ42 » Thu Nov 11, 2021 6:43 pm

Almost snow update.
The outer shell has 2 coats on it. The roof vent and solar pass through are both sealed. The butyl tape was delivered today so all the other exterior mounted accessories are getting installed this weekend. I currently have a tarp covering the galley opening while I finish up the hatch.
I figured out how to bend run of the mill aluminum angle around the doors for trim purposes. Today picked up a big order of aluminum to finish trimming out the doors and hatch. I also skinned the door and started skinning the hatch before work. After work, I'm going to roll on a thinned filler coat of glue. Hopes are that this weekend I can keep the garage warm enough for the glue and paints to cure.

I'm reaching crunch time and am going for a minimally viable product nearly all the main components are ready, just need them to be installed and water titeish. I am not beyond Ducttaping things to get through the first trip and refine in the spring.

Camper needs the following:
Build door #2 (first is built and skinned)
Finish skinning and painting the hatch and door #1
Trim out and weather seal doors and hatch
install to lights on hatch.
Install painted jack brackets/rack and solar panel
Mount hatch (and make slam latch)

The trailer proper needs the following:
finish tow lighting and harness installed
Install new wheel studs.
weld up the tongue extension.
Check/service bearings.
CRZ42
Teardrop Builder

Postby CRZ42 » Tue Nov 16, 2021 8:09 pm

Well another few days have passed and the build is continuing to slowly come together.
Both doors are built and skinned and have the trim for them bent to fit. The second door will be painted after work tonight, the weather has turned against me, and winter is looking like it is almost here. All paint and glue work is happening inside the house or with help of a heater in the garage. In the morning when the paint is dry, I will reinstall the door latch and windows that were already test fit before canvas was installed.
I ordered a hurricane hinge as the plastic living hinge is not cooperating, hoping for a smooth install as it is the last "big thing" of the camper pod that remains.
I made up a new tow light harness at work during lunch Which will be installed weather permitting tomorrow.
Also on the docket is finishing up the tongue and maybe wheels studs.
Minimal viable product is all I am going for, but at the same time I am cleaning up little details and stuff as I go.
For instance, today I started trimming the galley and removing some of the GS that bubbled out of crevices between panels. The folding side table got shaped and spackled.
Maiden voyage in 7 days.

Adding an entry as an edit:
Today 11/17 the following was done. Painted door 2 tonight after work the trim and hardware will be installed. Possibly installing the door as a whole. Sanded, glued and canvased the folding side table. I like the canvas colour, so I might try brushing on poly instead of painting to seal.
Welded up the new tongue assembly got it painted and bolted together before work today. Installed new wheel studs and lug nuts. Leaving only a bearing check/service and tow lighting on the trailer side of things.
Found out my hinge was delayed so it gets here Friday.
The weather report for the holiday is looking a little sketchy, if it is I am going to find somewhere local to try it out rather than heading to TN.
Crossing my fingers still for an easy install on teh hurricane hinge. I want this thing to be weather tight going into the snowy season.
CRZ42
Teardrop Builder

Postby CRZ42 » Mon Nov 29, 2021 5:42 pm

Welp, I managed to get it close enough where I could take it out for a test run.
more pics at the link at the end of the post.
my partner and I went up for a weekend trip to Traverse City area. We found a state forest campground and we were the only people there.
It was peaceful and lovely. Come spring (or if I clean the garage out) I have a couple mods to do.
My cage didn't pass muster on the test drive so I removed it. I want to work in a roof rack for awning/solar panel reasons. I need to make a inner door jamb/lip so I can better seal the doors, they were a major cold air leak source. I also want sink some anchors for mounting up my buddy heater on the wall. ( I will also need to modify the heater for the thermo-electric fans I ordered too.) Lastly, I have two leaks that I need to address. One is from from where the door some how is warped/twisted. The second is coming from the center of the galley hinge. I think the canvas is not completely sealed with glue or paint and the canvas is wicking water into the galley. I'm going to hit the seam with a heatgun and butyl tape and see if that fixes it for the season.
I know I rushed it to get done so I expected there would be issues, but I am 100% happy with the outcome.
Now to the pictures... https://photos.app.goo.gl/LTsWuj8izaedh8SM7
I'll be editing the Imgur album. I want to divide the main album up and easier to digest.
CRZ42
Teardrop Builder

Postby GPW » Tue Nov 30, 2021 6:15 am

That’s some test !!! :thumbsup: :o Brrrr!!!
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby CRZ42 » Tue Dec 07, 2021 10:32 am

I promise GPW it wasn't that bad. It was nice and toasty especially with the lil buddy heater and these two furry space heaters.
We had snow down state here off an on the last few days, nothing that has stuck, but the build season is about done.
Both my project truck and the camper are resting for the winter in front of the garage. I almost have enough room to move the camper in the garage. Once I finish clearing the garage I will push it inside so I can work on finishing all the details that I didn't get done to my liking. Hopefully, by spring I can have everything wrapped and ready for camping season.
CRZ42
Teardrop Builder

Postby GPW » Wed Dec 08, 2021 5:29 am

A two dog trailer night … Stay warm CRZ and Good Luck … 8) :thumbsup:
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Pmullen503 » Wed Dec 08, 2021 7:17 am

Glad you got a chance to try it out. That really helps you figure out what you really need in a camper.

I really like using mine during the winter. So much better than winter camping in a tent.
Pmullen503
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby CRZ42 » Wed Dec 08, 2021 10:52 am

Pmullen503 wrote:Glad you got a chance to try it out. That really helps you figure out what you really need in a camper.

You are 100% on point there. In my back yard /garage everything I built seemed to make sense. Counter space and storage all seemed to make sense. Once I got out and about I realized that the top cubbies are not great without a step stool. I raised the galley by 1.5 inches to mate to the roof panel) The counter depth is not ideal with my partner's love of placing things on horizontal surfaces. Once I pull the stove out half the counter is gone. The two little drawers are going to be made into one larger drawer. Another winter project will be building a insulated battery box behind the axel under the utility decking to free up space for additional storage.Image

Pmullen503 wrote:I really like using mine during the winter. So much better than winter camping in a tent.

I love winter tent camping especially when you know how to do it. I assume based on your location you also have that skillset locked in. That said, hands down this is better. I really wanted to make a hot tent, but my partner is super freaked out about the idea of having a stove in a tent. Once the the awnings are sorts out I am going to sew up some drop cloths to attach to the awning frame to act as walls during winter camping. For summer, the same thing with magnetic bug screens. Both will greatly expand the usable space.
Last winter I enclosed my outdoor patio with 80% shade cloth that my patio heater was able to get temps in the 40's when the outside air was in the 20's. We had NYE party out there. I figure that canvas will stop a bit more wind and less than half of the footprint will retain more heat too.
CRZ42
Teardrop Builder

Postby Pmullen503 » Wed Dec 08, 2021 4:06 pm

CRZ42 wrote:.........Once the the awnings are sorts out I am going to sew up some drop cloths to attach to the awning frame to act as walls during winter camping. .......

That's a good idea. I have a 10x10 pop up that I'll bring in the summer if I know it's going to be rainy. It'd be easy to make some canvas walls to have a place to sit outside but sheltered from the wind in the winter.
Pmullen503
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby clearwater22 » Sun Oct 02, 2022 8:48 am

The winter pics look so lovely. Were you sitting inside the camper with your jacket on or undressed inside? The dog looks scared, haha. I'm also a hardcore camper! I like to sleep in a tent and warm myself with a hot water warmer that I heated in a pot on the fire. However, I've never slept in a tent in the snow or too high up in the mountains. I'm always afraid of bears, and my friend we go camping with doesn't want to encounter predators either. I plan to go somewhere in the mountains this year in November if it doesn't snow. I looked up the kimbo camper review and am thinking of setting up something similar to my temporary home there like you did.
clearwater22
Teardrop Inspector

Previous

Return to Foamies