Framing considerations for strength and weight...

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Re: Framing considerations for strength and weight...

Postby u7ydz2eud » Mon Sep 06, 2021 8:57 pm

ghcoe wrote:
dbhosttexas wrote:#3. I want a camper we can take places most towables are not able to safely go. Beaches, Logging roads, etc... Not anything radical like the Rubicon trail... but also stuff that I would be unwilling to drag a trailer down, unless that trailer is built for offroad purposes. Most of them are nothing more than gear haulers...

My trailer is built on a Harbor Freight frame. I added 13" wheels/tires and a 2"x2" square tube down the center. Been beating on it in the backcountry for 3 years now. I did finally brake a spring this spring so I converted the springs to a soft ride suspension that a person makes out of Oregon. It is ready for many more off road miles. I often though I would have to install bigger wheels than the 13", but so far it has done everything I have asked it to without any issues.

I followed George's build on YouTube several years ago and built a similar trailer. Was originally going to upgrade to larger tires to match the Jeep but decided to stay with the lighter tires. Like George I have been bouncing up and down logging, fire service roads and countless paved miles. The trailer/camper has exceeded my expectations. It is so light I can easily move it around by hand if necessary.
5x8 Foamie
(Wood subfloor but no wood frame or bolts)
u7ydz2eud
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Framing considerations for strength and weight...

Postby Terra6 » Tue Sep 21, 2021 3:57 pm

Put wood framing inside the foam and it will never see water and rot.
On the road to Shambala...
Terra6
Teardrop Master

Previous

Return to Foamies