Building a Foamie in Katy, TX

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Building a Foamie in Katy, TX

Postby coco-serrano » Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:12 pm

Hi ya'll!

I've been reading and reading and watching videos, and finally dropped some coin on an Ironton trailer and building supplies.

The floor is built and bottom(undercarriage) is PMF and painted 2 coats Exterior Latex paint. I'm ready to turn it upright and begin construction of walls.

My intention is to PMF the interior and leave 2 inches of canvas to attach with Titebond to the floor and ceiling once I get the walls erected. Have any of ya'll also glued the exterior canvas on as well and glued the walls to the floor and ceiling together like SIPS? That would be fabulous!

So here's the thing, I can't decide on what other features I want. How hard is it to cut holes in the foamie walls say next year, and put in storage drawers, cabinets, etc? I don't want a kitchen, but I do want to put my clothes and dry goods in cubbies at home and be able to not pack in travel bags. I don't plan to camp in it this year, but would like to use it to bring our camping gear this coming November to Inks Lake, a few hours from our home. It would be so wonderful to be ready and leave in the morning instead of loading the van for 2 hours.

I have a Coleman Kitchen which I love and never intend to cook in the camper. But eventually I want to be able to sleep in A/C, since it stays in the 90's most of the summer and we never camp, cause I can't do miserable.

I will be upgrading from my Academy bucket toilet seat to something better. Don't know what yet, but we can dump in the stateparks, so nothing to fancy.

Last, I have been thinking of making doors, I just can't justify spending for "real" doors. Unless you guys know where I can find something reasonable. I do have a exterior door I can cut down. Has anyone else done that? Anyway, any tips on making a door would be appreciated.

Bobbie in Katy, TX

Pictures are on my phone, but will send when I have a current one.
coco-serrano
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Building a Foamie in Katy, TX

Postby pchast » Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:50 pm

Welcome! :D
pchast
Platinum Donating Member

Postby CRZ42 » Fri Oct 01, 2021 5:41 am

I am not 100% done with the doors I am building, but I am about 3/4 done with the first one and it was one of the few parts that I found to be super intimidating. Turns out that it has not been too bad. I still have to trim out the edges with aluminum T molding.
What I did was build a wood frame for the edge and then structure for window frames and door latch. Then I cut foam to fit the inner skin is 5mm ply and the outer skin will be PMF to match the rest of the exterior.
CRZ42
Teardrop Builder

Postby coco-serrano » Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:22 am

I've hit a snag! The floor of my foamie is too flexible and therefore not square to the walls. Looks like I need to take it apart and rebuild with thicker plywood.

Please, if anyone has built a foamie with catalever over the tongue and sides. Before I go out and buy more plywood, what can I do to improve the floor.

I used 1/4 inch plywood over 1 x 1.5 inch framing. top and bottom. then I skinned it and painted with exterior paint, 2 coats. Can I add strength by putting more plywood on the top? While trying to make it light, I made it too flimsy.

Thank you!

Bobbie
coco-serrano
Teardrop Inspector

Postby TimC » Thu Oct 14, 2021 12:01 pm

coco-serrano wrote:I've hit a snag! The floor of my foamie is too flexible and therefore not square to the walls. Looks like I need to take it apart and rebuild with thicker plywood.

Please, if anyone has built a foamie with catalever over the tongue and sides. Before I go out and buy more plywood, what can I do to improve the floor.

I used 1/4 inch plywood over 1 x 1.5 inch framing. top and bottom. then I skinned it and painted with exterior paint, 2 coats. Can I add strength by putting more plywood on the top? While trying to make it light, I made it too flimsy.

Thank you!

Bobbie

Yes, don't abandon your current floor. Add another layer inside, 1/2", 5/8" or 3/4" would work. 3/4" may be overkill. Glue and screw it in place.

As far as cutting foam with PMF, I would use a new, sharp utility knife to score the canvas and cut on the scrap side of that score to be safe. Though if you have some scrap foam and canvas just attach the canvas the same as you did on the walls. Then when it is completely set give it a go with your cutter of choice. That will tell you if you need to approach the task differently. I doubt it will be a problem but a test piece will help.
Tim
Niagara, WI
My First Benroy Teardrop Build Thread - A 5x8 Woodie - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=63575
My Second Teardrop (partial) Build Thread - Started August '16 - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=66939
#3 My son's Benroy Foamie team build - Started July '20 - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=72877

TimC
Gold Donating Member

Postby KCStudly » Fri Oct 15, 2021 2:35 pm

No, don't add more ply. Let's figure out the real problem first.

Did you build a flat floor then bolt it to a not flat chassis, which in turn made your otherwise flat floor not flat?

Remember, the bare floor is mostly just a "membrane" whether it is a single ply or SIP. The real strength comes from the box, the depth of the walls, the bulkheads, door reinforcements and cabinet panels/cabinet frames.

Build the rest of the box "square to the world", and then maybe it will pull the bent trailer to it. If not correct the trailer and/or shim it as required.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby TimC » Fri Oct 15, 2021 3:09 pm

KCStudly wrote:...
Did you build a flat floor then bolt it to a not flat chassis, which in turn made your otherwise flat floor not flat?

KC is right. If you don't have a flat chassis with just the floor bolted to it it will likely pull the floor surface. As you build on top of that floor things will straighten out... if you start with a flat chassis.

I'm assuming the Ironton is the Northern Tool model.. Did you countersink the ply to accommodate the bolt heads on the chassis. Also, the cross members of the NT trailer sit about an eight inch lower than the side rails. Did you shim the floor in those low areas? Double check that the chassis is flat and you have accounted for bolt heads and low cross member rails.
Tim
Niagara, WI
My First Benroy Teardrop Build Thread - A 5x8 Woodie - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=63575
My Second Teardrop (partial) Build Thread - Started August '16 - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=66939
#3 My son's Benroy Foamie team build - Started July '20 - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=72877

TimC
Gold Donating Member

Postby coco-serrano » Fri Apr 15, 2022 11:04 am

Sorry guys, it's been a long winter. Husband changed jobs, plus I realized it wasn't the floor of the foamie that was the trouble, it was the folding Northern Tool trailer. We are just not comfortable with how light and flexible it is as we are 6 feet tall and not light ourselves.

So... I found a Coleman Popup that was being sold as salvage. Paid 200.00 for it. Most of the inside is already gone, and some critters were living in it, so we will be cleaning and deconstructing it. There is no time line, but I feel the need to purchase supplies while they exist in my area. We are still deciding on how to build it, but I really don't want to change the chassis, so will be using the same dimensions which are 8 x 12.

There's a company making lifting roof teardrops that looks so much more comfortable to stay in, called Alto by SafariCondo. I really want to try to use the lifting system of the popup to lift the roof. Any advice is appreciated, including not doing it for reasons of water, etc. I'll try to attach a picture.

I've tried Sketchup and just can't seem to get the hang of it, so if anyone has a teardrop pattern that we can scale it would be great! Also, I've seen what water can do to all your hard work and don't want to put in a sink. The trailer has the water tank left, maybe I could see leaving it in place, but I don't plan to put in a sink in the galley. We mostly stay in State Parks here in Texas, and use sites with running water.

We also have a welder, so plan to make a skeleton and use non wood products to build with. I am very attracted to the RV sips on the market, but don't know how to source them where I live. I purchased 2 galvanized sheet metal at ABC builders to learn how to make smaller things. I can actually see making sips, but need to practice welding before investing in more.

Anyhow, I also see that being outside in the cold was a problem so will be pushing to build this summer.

Its so amazing to see your innovative builds and really admire what ya'll have done.

See you at Show and Tell!
Attachments
ALTO-R1723-2018-1920_EN.jpg
ALTO-R1723-2018-1920_EN.jpg (93.14 KiB) Viewed 268 times
coco-serrano
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Foamies