Current status of Glidden Gripper?

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Current status of Glidden Gripper?

Postby BrianInVA » Sat Jan 29, 2022 11:04 am

Is Glidden Gripper still manufactured and generally available? I searched locally and found it listed online as available at several local Home Depot’s. A more expensive white version is also widely available. This was listed as Glidden Gripper. They had separate listings for the PPG version under the listing for Glidden Gripper.

If I’m actually able to get it, what is the general process to use it instead of Titebond II for pmf? Is it actually better than Titebond II for this purpose? Can it also be used as effectively in place of other adhesives to bond xps sheets together or to wood?

I searched the forum, got tons of hits, but I’m still not finding complete answers to these questions as I suspect those are far older than the search engine responses I’ve been able to research so far.
BrianInVA
Teardrop Advisor

Re: Current status of Glidden Gripper?

Postby rjgimp » Sat Jan 29, 2022 2:07 pm

The original Glidden Gripper no longer exists. You may be lucky enough to find a dust covered pail of old stock in an old school hardware store somewhere, but not likely. PPG bought Glidden some years ago and markets a somewhat similar product using the same name but it is absolutely not the same thing. Titebond II is probably your best bet.
-Rob

I hope to make it to a Procrastinators Anonymous meeting someday...
just as soon as the steering committee gets around to scheduling one!
rjgimp
500 Club

Postby Tomterrific » Sun Jan 30, 2022 10:36 am

I am fascinated by foam construction. One idea a person gave is to use wooden chop sticks or kabob skewers to 'nail' the foam together. I guess you would rub glue into the stick and press it into the foam.

I guess this doesn't answer your original question but there are many high bond primers that stick to glass or glazed tile. I would think these primers would work well.

Tt
Tomterrific
500 Club

Postby GPW » Mon Jan 31, 2022 7:45 am

Brian, Tom's right ... others are available , and we are responsible to "Test " everything ... ;) We humbly await your report ! ... :NC

Anybody else doing primer testing , please advise !!! :thumbsup:
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby BrianInVA » Tue Feb 01, 2022 12:16 pm

Unfortunately I’m on limited income from disability (multiple strokes) so my resources to experiment are practically non existent. This is also why I’m so interested in the idea of a frugal foamie camper build in the first place. So I must rely on what others have already established.
BrianInVA
Teardrop Advisor

Postby GPW » Wed Feb 02, 2022 6:37 am

Anybody got a new primer report for BrianinVA ???
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby ghcoe » Wed Feb 02, 2022 7:43 pm

I have had good luck with Valspar Bonding Primer. I get it at Lowes. It is more expensive though. It reminds me a lot of the old Glidden Gripper. I usually only use it as a first coat on the canvas. I have never applied canvas with it. Should work fine though.
George.

Gorrilla Glue, Great Stuff and Gripper. The three G's of foamie construction.

My build viewtopic.php?t=54099
Working with flashing for foamie construction viewtopic.php?f=55&t=60303
Making a hot wire http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=55323
ghcoe
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby twisted lines » Wed Feb 02, 2022 8:30 pm

ghcoe wrote:I have had good luck with Valspar Bonding Primer. I get it at Lowes. It is more expensive though. It reminds me a lot of the old Glidden Gripper. I usually only use it as a first coat on the canvas. I have never applied canvas with it. Should work fine though.

Thank's George :thumbsup:
I found a box of canvas this week :thinking:
Racking up; And Rapin foam
twisted lines
1000 Club
1000 Club

Return to Foamies