My first Foamie build-slide in truck camper for 1979 Toyota

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Re: My first Foamie build-slide in truck camper for 1979 Toy

Postby Camp20144 » Thu Mar 02, 2023 11:35 am

J3,
Just recently found your write-up here. Excellent write-up and videos! Reading and watching your videos with great interest as I’m thinking about a canopy or slide-in like you’ve built. I like your “hard point” mounting system. I saw you fill the T-nut with wax to keep the epoxy resin out of the hole and nut threads, but I must have missed how and when (in the process) you re-located the T-nut hole. How did you re-locate them to get to the threads?

I like your sacrificial runners on the bottom. I had thought of something similar only using composite deck lumber.

I’ve been looking at those diesel heaters and was interested in seeing that you planned to install one. Have you installed yours? Did I miss the installation?

Thanks,
Mark
Camp20144
Teardrop Inspector

Postby twisted lines » Thu Mar 02, 2023 11:50 am

Has been a good boost, over the edge for me :oops:
Racking up; And Rapin foam
twisted lines
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby jakejakejake » Sat Mar 11, 2023 9:56 am

Camp20144 wrote:J3,
Just recently found your write-up here. Excellent write-up and videos! Reading and watching your videos with great interest as I’m thinking about a canopy or slide-in like you’ve built. I like your “hard point” mounting system. I saw you fill the T-nut with wax to keep the epoxy resin out of the hole and nut threads, but I must have missed how and when (in the process) you re-located the T-nut hole. How did you re-locate them to get to the threads?

I like your sacrificial runners on the bottom. I had thought of something similar only using composite deck lumber.

I’ve been looking at those diesel heaters and was interested in seeing that you planned to install one. Have you installed yours? Did I miss the installation?

Thanks,
Mark

Hey mark, thanks for following along! The T-nuts are easy to find after the layup is cured due to the transparent nature of the fiberglass. I simply mark the center of the hole and drill to size to access them.

I considered composite decking for the runners, but its so dang heavy, and in my experience docent like holding a fastener very well.

I just finished my base electrical system this week consisting of 100ah lithium, 200w solar, 1000w inverter, and all the fuzes, breakers and kill switches that go along with that. The heater is one of the last Items I have left on my list, but it is rapidly warming in my area. It's supposed to hit 75 today. It may be waiting until the fall or prior to some planned trips to altitude (northern NM/Colorado) for the chilly mornings.

I'll put together some photos of the electrical system and post them up here when I upload the YT video for it. Im stoked to be using the camper 2+ nights a week right now and it is serving as a great basecamp/locker room for trail running which is what initially set me on this path.

Until then, heres a couple of shots of it in action.

and the latest camp blog from the YouTube. Its really the main spot for my online presence these days.
jakejakejake
Teardrop Advisor

Postby GPW » Mon Mar 13, 2023 5:10 am

Looks Great !!! 8) :thumbsup:
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby jakejakejake » Sat Mar 25, 2023 12:13 pm

Hey fellas! Spring has sprung 'round my parts and I fear that I may be using the camper in its half completed state for the rest of the season! I did get the electrical system started and have a new video out on it.

Found here:

and the latest camping adventure can be found here:
jakejakejake
Teardrop Advisor

Postby MissEverly » Tue May 16, 2023 6:46 am

Wow, your truck camper looks fantastic! I checked out the photo album and your YouTube video, and I have to say you did an impressive job. I look forward to seeing the finished look to appreciate the work. It is wonderful that you are willing to share your knowledge and experience with others. If I have any questions, I will contact you because I like to experiment and recently bought a used truck from truckexporter.co.uk to upgrade it. My work isn't done yet, so I can't share my results. Anyway, keep up the fantastic work, and good luck to you.
MissEverly
Teardrop Inspector

Previous

Return to Foamies