The Memorial F150 Craptor. A semi foamie camper shell camper

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

The Memorial F150 Craptor. A semi foamie camper shell camper

Postby dbhosttexas » Sat Aug 27, 2022 2:02 pm

So as I mentinoed my need for a king bed is gone. My wife passed away. I am now going to travel FOR her instead of WITH her.

After this build is done, the innaugural trip will be pretty simple just a weekender over to Bolivar Peninsula and camping on the beach of the Gulf of Mexico. If that goes well, I will head further out, most likely to Padre Island national Seashore to one of the remote 4x4 only camgrounds, and then inland...

So in order to expedite the build. I am starting off with a used hi top camper shell. Not a perfect fit, but I got a Jeraco hi top that had been on a 2007 classic body style Chevy Silverado 6.5 ft box truck.

The ways it doesn't fit can be made up with foam sealers and I really don't care about cosmetics.

And the topper was CHEAP. I almost wish I had a Chevy to put it on to get that perfect fit, but this will work... Cab height is right, it is just the topper overlaps the bed of the truck length wise by about 1/2". Looks a little funny and leaves a gap. I can fix the gap.

I need to figure out how to make images work since mine are hosted on Google Photos.

I got the camper shell home yesterday, I had to replace the 3rd brake light, which I did this morning. The original had cracked and was leaking into the cab. Once the light was replaced I washed the widows and basically anything that would be unreachable once the topper was mounted. Thus the huge gap... The topper is now slid into the right position.

Some background.

The Truck. 2004 F150 XLT 4x4 Supercab I bought when I was dating my wife, and we were talking about the potential of having kids. So I wanted a back seat... It is also a bench seat model... It has a now failed 5.4L 3V Triton V8, not one of Fords better ideas... I am getting a Jasper Engine shipped to my mechanic and he will do the swap. I also have an issue with the 4x4 not disengaging. That is a pull off solenoid under the hood. There is a TSB for that I need to get one.

Modifications to the truck already are Magnaflow high flow cats, Summit 3" cat back system with magnaflow reasonably quiet muffler. I was going for power, not noise... 2.5" Rancho lift with Moog HD coils, "California" fender trim, 17x9 rims 35x12.50 Hercules Trail Digger MTs, don]'t ever do those again! Go Rhino winch mount and Engo E9000 winch. Plus an Airraid CAI and XCal2 tuner. Tires need to be replaced as well. Probably drop back down to 285/70R17 BFGoodrich ATs...

I have a 300w solar suitcase setup, and an Econoline van cab/chassis battery box and mount that mounts UNDER the cab of the truck. So I will have a house battery and an engine battery.
I already have an Alpicool 60l LG compressor fridge that I am running in. So far so good.

Bed will be a 6" thick memory foam tri fold twin. Don't recall the MFG, but it is actually REAL twin not the narrow twins that are so common in tri folds...
The build out of the interior will have cabinets on both sides of the bed. The larger of the cabs on the passenger side so I can haul my water over there.

I have to go to my BILs funeral here shortly, his stupid a** was so busted up about his sister, he forgot about his diabetes and went on an alcohol fueled bender which did NOT end well for him...

II will get the weather seals in and the camper shell clamped down, then start scrubbing the inside and outside of both the camper shell AND truck bed. I need to make places to mount power outlets, reinforcements for an awning etc...

More pics to come.
dbhosttexas
The 300 Club

Re: The Memorial F150 Craptor. A semi foamie camper shell ca

Postby dbhosttexas » Sun Aug 28, 2022 8:43 pm

Okay MAYBE pics will work...

The gap between the cab and the cap is a little funny, but not a big deal.

The cap is definately built for Chevy bed rails instead of Ford, The Ford bed rails are considerably wider... The inside of the rails and the cap flange match up perfectly.

The cap overhangs the tailgate by a good bit. I am going to have to figure out how to seal this up. I can do it it is just funny looking.

I will probably use an aluminum square channel to make that gap under the aluminum edge under the cap bottom edge. The locks are also 2 simple T handles. I need to figure out how to make these openeable from the inside.

The headlights are blacked out with mirror reflectors. The OEM ones had leaked. I need to look for a set of replacement seals for the light sockets.

And the Alpicool 63 quart LG Compressor Fridge. I have it running in plugged into 110V. So far keeping temps in range where they should be. I need to add my Kill A Watt clone and see what kind of wattage this thing pulls. Spec says 45w. This is going to, between this, and my laptop charger, push the 300w solar to its limit.

The solar suitcase arrived early today, No pics yet, but it is the Dokio 300w solar suitcase. I have ordered a DC to DC charger / solar charge controller that will let me charge off the alternator, AND solar so charging on the go is a reality.

The trifold mattress is being shipped and should arrive Thursday. I also have a Ford E Series van cab & chassis battery box and mount ready to install.
dbhosttexas
The 300 Club

Postby dbhosttexas » Mon Aug 29, 2022 9:58 pm

Still running in the fridge. Actually my big fridge is giving me fits and the defrost circuit needs to be worked on, so I am dwindling it down, and I will put what i need to hold over into the 12V fridge and my Lifetime cooler, although now that I have the fridge, no clue what the liftetime cooler is good for unless you consider fishing trips with friends and obnoxious amounts of beer...

I need the rain to subside a bit, and soon. I got the paint / scale quick strip wheel for the grinder from Home Depot tonight. I forgot a mess of stuff though...

Please pardon me if I post my Home Depot shopping list so I don't forget anything next time.

I need...

#1. 1/4" compression union. I did something stupid and need to re-plumg the water outlet in my Camplux 5L. You don't wanna know.
#2. Small tubing cutter because I have no idea where my old one is.
#3. TSP.
#4. Tack cloth.
#5. Epoxy Primer
#6. Rustoleum Gloss Khaki spray paint. Probably 2 cans.
#7. Painters tape and butcher paper.
dbhosttexas
The 300 Club

Postby dbhosttexas » Tue Aug 30, 2022 9:50 am

The shopping list yesterday was to fix a screwup I did to my Camplux 5L instant hot shower system. I actually need 2 unions and a small segment of 1/4 tubing. I managed to damage the hot water out tubing like an idiot.

What I was / am trying to accomplish is to mount the 5L inside a Harbor Freight Apache 4800 weather proof enclosure. I need the inlets / outlets to make a 90 degree turn so I can make my connections from the front. The idea is to hang it from the side of the camper shell close to the Ensuite tent and water supply.

The weather has been miserable last 2 days and looks like we are in a pattern now... So while that slop is going on I am going to dig up my pass throughs so I can start working on them. I won't cut the hole yet though. I want the 110V pass through on the side the AC will be housed on, and that will depend on which side the bed is on. Which I THINK will be passenger side but am not 100% sure yet. I want to fiddle with the layout a bit before committing...

I mentioned it in another thread, bed support / storage will likely be a wood frame / foamie construction IF straight up foam / PMF can't handle my weight.. I figure a basic 2x4 skeleton with foamie panels / doors and 3/4 ply top / lids with piano hinges whould dress it out. Probably make a big L so the front of the truck bed can house the water tanks. 4 7 gallon reliance AquaTainers. I see a lot of folks carrying only 1 or 2 but that radically limits the time I can be out unless I am lucky enough to camp by a clean enough water source that I then need to filter if I can going to use it for drinking or dish sanitizing.

I still need to decide on the taillights for the truck. The OE have not sprung a leak yet, but they do NOT match the heads or third brake light now...

Thinking about upgrading to LED assemblies as well. Possibly this set.

HOWEVER, if anyone knows of OEM style blacked out / smoked tails, and just convert to LEDs. I would prefer not seeing the LEDs themselves, just the light.

The reverse light bulbs are being swapped out for a pair of 6000 lumen 3156 bright white LEDs. Between these and the in bumper LED reverse lights I want as much light behind me as possible when backing up...
dbhosttexas
The 300 Club

Postby dbhosttexas » Tue Aug 30, 2022 11:49 pm

So tires are going to be an issue. The installed rolling stock is Hercules Trail Digger MT 35x12.50/17 and they rub, and wear super fast. Not going to put up with that.

I REALLY want 33x12.50/17 Load Range E all terrains.

Amazon has them for $298.99 (Sale price)
Discount Tire has them for $401.00 each.

I need 5 so I can have a matching spare.

Guess which one got the order?
dbhosttexas
The 300 Club

Postby dbhosttexas » Wed Aug 31, 2022 8:22 am

So the Camplux is fixed. Need to figure out sheilding the plastic case and mounting it inside. Also need to figure out the Z track. We should be good to go there. I know I am going to drill holes in the plastic box. I am figuring the Camplux will mount via SS flathead screws, washer, lock washer and nut. The Z Strip will end up attaching via pop rivets.

Will likely go outside today and figure out where it hangs, but rain has been on the menu every day for the last 3 days and throughout the extended forecast so not sure when I am going to be able to do that.
dbhosttexas
The 300 Club

Postby dbhosttexas » Wed Aug 31, 2022 8:45 pm

So pieces parts are coming in.

I have the hot shower fixed from my screw up. Got the street elbows installed and need some sheet aluminum and a small piece of welders blanket to create a heat shield for mounting it in a plastic weatherproof box. Not a Pelican but a Harbor Freight Apache 4800. Looking for some thicker gauge Z channel to make a french cleat sort of rig so I can hang the box on the side of the camper shell and just plug in and go.

I am going to try to pick up a welders blanket I can make the sheild from, as well as make a thermal cover for my Coleman folding oven to help control temps better. LOTS of folks are doing this where they take and make a cover for top, back and sides seamed together with JB Weld. This keeps the impact of breezes and outside air to a minimum, and keeps heat IN the oven so you can actually get to and maintain temp at lower burner temp, with that and a baking stone that is...

Fridge is here, testing out and working fantastically.

300w solar suitcase is here, as is a 25' extension cable. I am however not going to use the provided 20 amp charge controller, instead opting for a combination charge controller and DC to DC charger so I can charge off the alternator on the go

The trifold mattress is here, it was delivered vacuumed up to within an inch of its life and rolled up in a box. I have it expanding now. Instructions say let it expand for 3 days, so it is doing so on the floor in my wifes now unused office.

Tires are on order. Amazon had BFG All Terrain TA KO2s in 33x12.50/17 for under $300.00 each. so I am going to drag my rims and these tires into the tire shop and get the swapped out. Know anyone that wants 3 decent Hercules Trail Digger MT 35x12.50/17? I am done with those...

Got the repair grommet things for the suicide door cables. Going to work on that while I wait for the engine to be built and shipped.

Bedrug is supposed to be here Friday. But need to leave it off the truck until the engine is done as we are talking about pulling the bed to get to the gas tank and insure that is clean, drained, etc... and fuel sock / pickup / pump are fine...

Still looking for my 110V pass through. It is in the shop SOMEWHERE...

300w solar suitcase, and SAE extension cable (25') are here. Not going to use the included 20a charge controller though, instead opted for a 20 amp combination charge controller and DC to DC charger so I can charge from the alternator.

I finished setting up the seals along the sides and front of the bed, but found a leak actually in the roof, not sure where the water is getting in, but considering coating the roof itself with Henry Tropicool to keep temps down and seal it up.

I am considering instead of buying new assemblies, just using something like VHT Nite Shades for the tails. I like the OEM assemblies just want them to match the others... And I have LED bulbs there already...
dbhosttexas
The 300 Club

Postby dbhosttexas » Thu Sep 01, 2022 11:51 am

Scrubbed the outside of the camper shell letting it dry. I need to clear stuff out of the bed of the truck and I am going to hit the inside too. I found a spot yesterday during a heavy rain where there is some weep through on the very top, there is a wierd recess in the topper and at the front corner of that recess is a bit of a weep.

I was planning on coating the roof with Henry Tropicool just to help with temps, that should also seal up any tiny pin holes / cracks allowing weep through after 4 days straight of heavy rain...

We WERE in a drought, we no longer are, that all changed in the last 4 days, that kind of rain.

A LOT more in the forecast for the next week or so. Truck / Camper work is going to have to take a back seat aside from, I am going to layout the design for the bed / storage cabinets.

I know it hasn't been 3 days, but I couldn't resist, I laid down on the trifold mattress to test it out. This will absolutely work for me! I have a pair of king size bamboo pillows as well. Pretty sure the wife won't mind if I take one of them on the road!

My plan, for better or worse at this point, is going to be a 2x2 framing, simple glued and screwed butt jointed construction, with foamie panels set into rabbets, and then the assembly coated with PMF. This should provide strength, and light weight that I need. The design will be tall enough to fully cover the AquaTainers with the pickup assembly installed, and yes it will make an L accross the front of the truck bed.

Curtains are going to be a simple affair of fabric coated reflectix panels affixed to the cab via velcro strips.

Since I am not 100% certain the bed will be on the right, that means the AC will be on the left, so I have cut the hole and installed, at least partially, the electrical pass through. Haven't drilled for / installed the retainer screws yet. Waiting to insulate / carpet the inside of the cap.. That should be fun!. A friend is looking up he says he knows of a source that has that insulating self stick hood liner material in bulk, not preformed, Between the Tropicool, the insulating mat which allegedly looks close enough to Rat Fur carpeting, that I should be able to actually let the generator and AC be somewhat lazy...

I do need to figure out mounting options for the electrical outlet / GFCI box, Thinking on the upright panel between back window and hatch, affix with either Liquid Nails for projects, or several strips of the 3M black mounting tape. The heavy duty automotive stuff not the white foam stuff.

Photos coming soon, but like an idiot I locked myself outside and just got back in the house and need to cool off. It is HOT today and very little shade in my yard.
dbhosttexas
The 300 Club

Postby dbhosttexas » Thu Sep 01, 2022 12:52 pm

I am committed now! Cut the hole and passed through the electrical pass through. Hole saw was 2", closest I had to 1-7/8. The extra will be made up with black RTV silicone.

The inside view of the pass through. Kind of close to the edge, but it will work. Now I need to make the electrical connection and slide the boot in place.

Once the carpet / insulation is installed I will THEN do the final set on this rig as I will need to pull this out, cut the hole in the carpet, set the RTV, set the screws etc... Yay.

This feeds through a simple section of reclaimed 14ga extension cord to a standard GFCI in an outdoor box that will be mounted on the post above. between the window and the hatch. The AC will connect here. No clue what other 110v I might end up with. Need to figure out how to set up my laptop charger to work with 12v...

It should be noted that instead of futzing with a TV, I went with as big a screen on a laptop as I could reasonably find (17") and am using a USB TV tuner instead since most everything I am watching is steaming anyway... Multi function in a smaller space is what I am shooting for.
dbhosttexas
The 300 Club

Postby dbhosttexas » Fri Sep 02, 2022 3:33 pm

Well now. I have a problem. The truck I am building for, and needing to haul materials IN is waiting a crate motor to be delivered and installed...

I need foam, and 2x2s and no truck to haul it. Might have to rent a Home Depot truck, or try to get a friend volunteered....

In the meantime, all the bits and bobs for solar are here. I THINK I have my Camplux 5L fixed, and it kind of fits in the Apache box. Not great, but it should work. The gas line connection is a bit uh, long. It would ge great if this box was literally 2" longer all would be good... I may have to go with a Pelican after all. Or figure out how to go directly to a short street elbow that transitions from whatever funny thread Camplux uses and makes the bend and turns into 3/8 flare. That would literally fix all of the issues with fitment.
dbhosttexas
The 300 Club

Postby bdosborn » Sat Sep 03, 2022 8:33 am

Interesting build, good luck!
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Bruce
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby dbhosttexas » Sat Sep 03, 2022 8:46 am

bdosborn wrote:Interesting build, good luck!
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Bruce

Well, it's not my original plan, but it still involves a tiny camper and some part of foamie construction so here it is... :-)
dbhosttexas
The 300 Club

Postby dbhosttexas » Tue Sep 06, 2022 9:32 pm

So UPS FINALLY delivered the 4 remaining tires of 5 I ordered from Amazon. BFGoodrich Radial All Terrain TA KO2 33x12.50/17. I am downsizing from 35x12.50/17 Hercules Trail Digger MTs which are honestly too big and kind of awful.

I haave most of the electrical bits and bobs in. I have 8 ga primary wire, ring terminals, and butt terminals coming in the next few days to connect to the inverter.

I used the quick strip disk on my angle grinder, and offed the bubbling paint and flaking rust from the truck bed, and then went and cleaned it all down with rubbing alcohol and paper towels, then applied Naval Jelly. Then washed it all down. More Naval Jelly treatment needs to be done before I paint, and I ran out of sunlight.

I installed the SAE solar pass through. I screwed up, but the angle seems to match the angle of the widnow, so eh.. whatever.

Once the rust treatment is complete, and the bed dried up, I get to paint it all down. a couple of coats, and then let it cure a few days. Once it us cured, THEN and only then I take the mattress, and lay it out in the bed of the truck and start considering layouts. I am trying to decide between twin bed in the center, and cabinets on both sides, or Twin bed on passenger side platform that I can use as a cushioned bench, and set up folding camp table inside as laptop stand for working... The latter is more work, more structure, but utilizes the space better I think...

Trying to decide if I should take the brush guard / winch mount and stock bumper off, and replace with a purpose built off road bumper / winch mount. Theoretically I could shave 100lbs off the front end if I do that...
dbhosttexas
The 300 Club

Postby JasenC » Tue Sep 06, 2022 11:58 pm

The solar connection looks like a happy mistake, looks like you did it intentionally.
I'll be done when I'm finished, if that's not fast enough, take a number.

Build Thread https://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=74269
JasenC
The 300 Club

Postby dbhosttexas » Wed Sep 07, 2022 2:55 pm

Happy little mistakes like happy little trees I guess it's my own sort of artwork maybe Bob Ross would be proud.
dbhosttexas
The 300 Club

Next

Return to Foamies