Considering my next build as I approach completing one.

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Considering my next build as I approach completing one.

Postby dbhosttexas » Thu Oct 06, 2022 12:26 pm

It was never my intent to stay with a fiberglass camper shell. And as regulars here know, I am a recent semi young enough ish widower. I love my wife intensely, but to be honest I have no intention of spending the last theoretically 1/3 of my life alone. Combined with that and a need to not be driven nuts in incliment weather, and the ability to stand up in the camper, I am considering designing and building effectively a 4 wheel campers project M inspired camper shell with a pop up and overcab sleeper although with more than enough room with the top closed for a memory foam king size mattress. The thinnest I can find is a 6", but the one I actually WANT is an 8".

So my requirements are.

#1. Clamps to the truck bed / uses the existing truck bed as the bottom portion.
#2. Tailgate delete with door on one side, and angled upper bump out for housing AC and 20lb propane below AC... This will require modification of the bedrug as the tailgate cover is part of the bedrug, and using a different backup camera as the tailgate handle will be deleted...
#3. King bed can side and fold over the cab allowing a cabinet / couch at front wall of truck bed to be used for seating.
#4. 400+ watts solar. Right now I have 300 and it SHOULD be enough, but I want overkill if possible. This is not a must have in the beginning though, again I already have a 300w panel set...
#5. Pop up top with optional "polar pack" snap ins. I definately need to practice sewing more!
#6. Built in cabinet, vented if need be for Camplux shower.
#7. "Private enough" space in the truck bed camper for the toilet that won't totally gross out companion if I have to use the can at 2:00 A.M.
#8. Better designed cabinet for holding stove. Might upgrade to a Camp Chef stove / oven combo. I like baked goods in camp, and being single I tend way too much toward frozen dinners that need to be baked in the oven.
#9. 30 gallon onboard freshwater.
#10. 10 gallon gray water.
#11. 2 roof fan / vents A.K.A. Fantastic fan / vent.
#12. 270 degree awning with sides / enclosure. Again maximum living space out of a truck camper.

I am thinking aluminum framing, but welding aluminum is problematic. I am considering as I have seen the strength tests riveting, and then alumiwelding the framing.
Of course the main sections are to be foamie construction, but I might since I will have a bit more time to work it, probably XPS, fiberglass, and epoxy resin since poly resin destroys XPS...

Anyway, any advice on design, and actually doing the construction / planning would really be helpful.

Thanks.
dbhosttexas
The 300 Club

Return to Foamies