Chinese diesel heaters for a foamie?

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Chinese diesel heaters for a foamie?

Postby dbhosttexas » Wed Dec 21, 2022 3:46 pm

So the Webasto clones are running amok now, and are super cheap...

So I have ordered one. An all in one unit, so no need to poke holes in the floor to route the intake / exhaust.

So the question I have is this...

For those that have set up with the Diesel heaters, do you install them IN the camper, or do you run them outside and duct them in? Inside seems like a better idea to me, but that leaves me wondering how to duct the intake / exhaust for the combustion.

Please share your setups and thoughts on how not to burn / melt a foamie...
dbhosttexas
The 300 Club

Re: Chinese diesel heaters for a foamie?

Postby tony.latham » Wed Dec 21, 2022 3:52 pm

Either way, you'll have holes for the intake/exhaust.

You might take a peek at Slim's two videos on these stand-alone things:

:thinking:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Onajourney » Wed Dec 21, 2022 4:31 pm

For what it's worth, I am going to install the one I just bought in the bottom cabinet in the galley and duct it directly thru bulkhead wall. I will drill through floor for both intake and exhaust. Many people recommend getting the intake from inside to recirculate which is probably the most efficient way to do it. Folks also say these little CDHs will cook you out of a teardrop. So that's why I am not recirculating. We shall see.
Onajourney
Teardrop Master

Postby dbhosttexas » Wed Dec 21, 2022 6:51 pm

tony.latham wrote:Either way, you'll have holes for the intake/exhaust.

You might take a peek at Slim's two videos on these stand-alone things:

:thinking:

Tony

Heck I'll watch that just because I love Slim Potatoheads work. I was mostly worried about thermal issues passing through the foamie walls...
dbhosttexas
The 300 Club

Postby dbhosttexas » Wed Dec 21, 2022 6:53 pm

Onajourney wrote:For what it's worth, I am going to install the one I just bought in the bottom cabinet in the galley and duct it directly thru bulkhead wall. I will drill through floor for both intake and exhaust. Many people recommend getting the intake from inside to recirculate which is probably the most efficient way to do it. Folks also say these little CDHs will cook you out of a teardrop. So that's why I am not recirculating. We shall see.

There are 2 intakes, 2 exhausts. 1 for the combustion air, the other for the heated air. The intake / exhaust for the heated air should come from and return to the living space. The combustion air including the intake and exhaust should come from outside and away from the living space.

Not sure if I said that right, but definately separate...
dbhosttexas
The 300 Club

Postby jakejakejake » Wed Dec 21, 2022 9:15 pm

here's where knowing a little bit about a lot of things comes in handy! In the marine world they use a "thru Hull" style fitting that looks like this https://www.amazon.com/Zurci-Exhaust-Fi ... th=1&psc=1
Basically a double wall pipe like you would find used for residential gas appliance flue.

I haven't had the chance yet to run my heater (a maxspeedingrods 8kw) so I'm not sure what to expect as far as exhaust gas temperature or if that style thru hull fitting would run cool enough for our foam construction.

I plan to mount my heater in the truck bed forward of the wheel wells in a weatherproof enclosure. Mostly do to limited interior space, but I'm not sure I would do an interior install regardless. Having the combustion and diesel fuel outside just makes sense to me.
jakejakejake
Teardrop Advisor

Postby dbhosttexas » Thu Dec 22, 2022 9:06 am

jakejakejake wrote:here's where knowing a little bit about a lot of things comes in handy! In the marine world they use a "thru Hull" style fitting that looks like this https://www.amazon.com/Zurci-Exhaust-Fi ... th=1&psc=1
Basically a double wall pipe like you would find used for residential gas appliance flue.

I haven't had the chance yet to run my heater (a maxspeedingrods 8kw) so I'm not sure what to expect as far as exhaust gas temperature or if that style thru hull fitting would run cool enough for our foam construction.

I plan to mount my heater in the truck bed forward of the wheel wells in a weatherproof enclosure. Mostly do to limited interior space, but I'm not sure I would do an interior install regardless. Having the combustion and diesel fuel outside just makes sense to me.

So... would it be better to mount the heater in the camper, or outside? I.E. inside and route the combustion intake and exhaust outdoors... I am thinking with the heater inside it would be cycling pre warmed air instead of constantly pulling fresh frigid air.
dbhosttexas
The 300 Club

Postby bdosborn » Thu Dec 22, 2022 9:57 am

I've got Espars in the van and the trailer, I installed both of them inside. Its definitely more efficient if you mount them inside but a lot of Overlanders use the all-in-one units to heat their roof top tents. IMHO how cold the weather you camp in dictates if you mount it inside or outside: freezing temps or lower = inside. The diesel tank in the van is the same size as the all-in-one units (1.5 gallon) and is good for a night or two, depending on how cold it is and how warm you run it inside. Someday the van will get a storage box on the rear door for a bigger diesel tank, 1.5 gallons isn't enough. Make sure you can get to the heater easily if you mount it inside, they need maintenance and you'll have to take it out to do it. There's a Facebook page on Chinese Diesel vehicle air heaters that is interesting reading this time of year: https://www.facebook.com/groups/146837062640024
Here' a link to the Espar install for the van: AdVANger Build
Bruce
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby jakejakejake » Thu Dec 22, 2022 8:34 pm

dbhosttexas wrote: So... would it be better to mount the heater in the camper, or outside? I.E. inside and route the combustion intake and exhaust outdoors... I am thinking with the heater inside it would be cycling pre warmed air instead of constantly pulling fresh frigid air.

The choice is yours my friend! Both options have their potential downsides. The 8kw unit I have is way oversized for my small camper, so I'm not worried about the efficiency loss.
jakejakejake
Teardrop Advisor

Postby RJ Howell » Sat Dec 24, 2022 8:21 am

dbhosttexas wrote:
So... would it be better to mount the heater in the camper, or outside? I.E. inside and route the combustion intake and exhaust outdoors... I am thinking with the heater inside it would be cycling pre warmed air instead of constantly pulling fresh frigid air.

As I go through this I'd like at least the fuel tank outside. Then comes the whole thing about cold and diesel fuel jelling.. Then again I tend to run from that kind of cold..
RJ Howell
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby bdosborn » Mon Dec 26, 2022 4:42 pm

You should be fine in cold weather if you have the winter blend of diesel. I've had a diesel truck in Colorado since 2004 and my fuel has never gelled. There are also cold weather additives for diesel that prevent gelling.
Bruce
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby dbhosttexas » Mon Dec 26, 2022 9:32 pm

RJ Howell wrote:
dbhosttexas wrote:

As I go through this I'd like at least the fuel tank outside. Then comes the whole thing about cold and diesel fuel jelling.. Then again I tend to run from that kind of cold..

I am using an all on one self contained unit, not the installed unit, as I am still keeping my factory truck bed. So where the heater is, the fuel tank is. Since it is diesel and not gasoline, I don't have to worry about igniting random fuel vapor,

Gelling of the fuel can be an issue, however winter blend fuel should have anti gel already in it. HOWEVER no harm in adding a touch of anti gel...

I am figuring I won't likely be using it without the EZ Up / Tarp rig being pitched over the back of the camper shell. So not worried about rain / snow drowning the unit...

I have no plan to flee the cold per se, I live where it never snows and if I ever want to see the stuff, I have to go where it is... Hence the need for the heater...
dbhosttexas
The 300 Club

Postby jakejakejake » Tue Dec 27, 2022 6:54 pm

dbhosttexas wrote:Gelling of the fuel can be an issue, however winter blend fuel should have anti gel already in it. HOWEVER no harm in adding a touch of anti gel...

I didn't want to be the one to bring it up!
I would be willing to bet that the self contained units "bleed" enough heat to negate any gelling concerns.
jakejakejake
Teardrop Advisor

Postby twisted lines » Wed Dec 28, 2022 1:09 pm

Recently; I have seen guys using these in their Garage :thinking:
Racking up; And Rapin foam
twisted lines
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby tony.latham » Wed Dec 28, 2022 1:35 pm

Gelling of the fuel can be an issue...

I assume diesel fuel sold at the pumps in cold climates has an anti-gel treatment? I've got many friends here in the middle of Idaho that drive diesel trucks and have never heard of cold stopping them. We had -20º a week or so ago.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Next

Return to Foamies