XPS + Luan for Van Floor

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

XPS + Luan for Van Floor

Postby kstills » Thu Dec 22, 2022 10:31 am

I currently have 3/4" plywood as the subfloor. Do you think that 1/4" luan would provide enough impact and puncture resistance to protect the XPS? The goal here is weight reduction, with an added benefit of increasing the R value of the flooring.

Thinking about it I would probably provide a frame for the heavier components in the van like the fridge, however the majority of the flooring would be this laminate.
kstills
Teardrop Builder

Re: XPS + Luan for Van Floor

Postby tony.latham » Thu Dec 22, 2022 11:02 am

I don't use luan but would be concerned about any voids a sheet may have––which would be problematic to step on. I might suggest 1/4" subfloor plywood.

I ran over a piece of 1" XPS with my Tacoma once and could barely see the imprint of the tire track. I think it would work fine.

:thinking:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby kstills » Thu Dec 22, 2022 11:06 am

tony.latham wrote:I don't use luan but would be concerned about any voids a sheet may have––which would be problematic to step on. I might suggest 1/4" subfloor plywood.

I ran over a piece of 1" XPS with my Tacoma once and could barely see the imprint of the tire track. I think it would work fine.

:thinking:

Tony

The more I'm thinking about it, I would guess that I could use the XPS+Luan laminate under the cabinetry, then use a more substantial flooring material in the walkway. Most of the cabinets will be XPS construction (current plan, which is number 63) and shouldn't be putting too much weight on the floor underneath them. Areas I need for securing items to the floor I can cut strips of ply and use that to screw into.
kstills
Teardrop Builder

Postby jakejakejake » Thu Dec 22, 2022 8:43 pm

Sounds like a perfect solution to an insulated van floor. My build has 1/4 ply over 2" Xps (not a van) and I have zero concerns of denting/puncturing/damaging the underlying foam. the foam I'm using has a compressive strength of 15psi for reference.
jakejakejake
Teardrop Advisor

Postby linuxmanxxx » Fri Dec 23, 2022 3:37 pm

I used 3/4"xps and 1x3 outer framing and 1x2 inner framing and glued completely both sides the underlayment type luan little thicker than 1/4"and could walk on it. The glue is the strength and keeps the flex down. 1x are actually 3/4"matching the foam thickness so no need to manipulate the wood. The framing is placed to match your tie down points and adds some rigidity to it.

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk
linuxmanxxx
500 Club

Return to Foamies