Flooring, doors on 6x8 railed trailer

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Flooring, doors on 6x8 railed trailer

Postby McFish1951 » Thu Jun 22, 2023 1:33 pm

I have a 6 x 8 utility trailer with 2x6 existing board floor. There is a round rail supported by 2 in angle iron around front and sides, with a drop ramp at the rear. Questions; 1) How best to deal with the floor? Remove some or all of the 2x6? Do I need insulation on the floor? If I leave the boards, can I add 1" XPS over the boards with PMF and cover it with either plywood or vinyl flooring? 2) Doors; is the side rail too much of an issue to add and utilize side doors? Is a 18" galley deep enough? KISS; use 2 side swing doors at rear with shelving for galley; will hinges support the weight and do I need any special framing for the hinges? All heavy items will go either in a front tongue metal box, or on trailer floor; ie cooler, stove, water supply (5 gal), propane tank. Anyone with prior experience with a foamie on the 6x8 platform, please offer advice.
McFish1951
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Flooring, doors on 6x8 railed trailer

Postby Pmullen503 » Thu Jun 22, 2023 2:03 pm

One option is to sell that trailer and buy a flat, lighter trailer for your foamy. Your trailer sounds pretty heavy duty, more than you'll need for a foamy tear drop. The side rails definitely limit teardrop design.

I don't know the condition of your trailer or your local market, but you may find you can swap it for a more suitable trailer for little or no extra cash.
Pmullen503
1000 Club
1000 Club

Return to Foamies