Preferred Tiny Trailer Style

Here's where we keep the polls, and anyone can start a poll!

Preferred Tiny Trailer Style

Postby css9343 » Wed Dec 15, 2021 7:24 am

Hey all!

I'm jumping into building some sort of small tiny teardrop/camper trailer project, but I am completely perplexed and stuck in analysis paralysis on deciding exactly what option to go with!

The constraints I'm working with.
1. Lightweight. We have a towing capacity of 3500lbs and I want to stay well below that. Right now we tow a 1600lb tent trailer and it is definitely noticeable at times.

2. Storage. We camp very very light but I want to be able to keep gear dry and safe. We already put all food in our vehicle at night so really just clothes and such.

3. Sleeping capacity. We have 2 adults, 1 large dog, and kids/more dogs are in the future for sure.

Here are my three options.
1. 5x8 utility trailer for a traditional teardrop or squaredrop with no galley, just small storage area. Pod design that can slide off the trailer when not in use.

2. 5x8 utility trailer with rear hatch squaredrop with an attached SUV/van tent on the back for extra sleeping/storage space. Same pod design as #1

3. 5x8 or 4x8 utility trailer with just gear storage cubbies and a rooftop tent mounted to it.

Thanks in advance, and advice one way or the other I hope would be helpful for us or anyone else in a similar dilemma!
css9343
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Preferred Tiny Trailer Style

Postby friz » Wed Dec 15, 2021 7:55 am

I would ditch the idea of being able to separate the pod and trailer. Mine is built that way and I have never done it after 4 years. One of the wonderful things about a teardrop is being able to have it loaded and ready to camp and being able to go at a moments notice. Minus coolers of course.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
The "Sin Bin"
friz
500 Club

Return to User Polls