When you began to build did you start ...

Here's where we keep the polls, and anyone can start a poll!

When I started my trailer I started with.

A Plan
19%
Plan and most of the needed wood, screws, glues, and tools
14%
I got a kit
No votes
I made my own plan and got parts as I needed them
28%
I rebuilt an older trailer
3%
I did it all buy the seat of my pants
28%
Here is what I did see below ...
8%

Total votes : 36

When you began to build did you start ...

Postby Ron Dickey » Wed Jan 18, 2006 11:02 pm

Starting to build any T or TTT is a big job. Befor you started acutally working on it . many made the trailer first some did not.
How did you start the main body of you project.
Inside almost done--Trolly top has opening windows & roof.doors need assembling--pictured above waley windows..galley 1/3 done
Cross Bow in Build Journals....http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=54108
Ron Dickey
Silver Donating Member

Postby s4son » Wed Jan 18, 2006 11:13 pm

I started with a set of Kuffel Creek plans. They got me started and helped decide what I did and didn't want to do. I was lucky enough to go to Minden and see lots of tears up close. Then a friend let me camp in his 4 foot wide tear and that convinced me to go 5 feet wide. Evey time I go out to work on the darn thing I change something. I will probably have built three of them by the time I get this one finished. But that's part of the fun and appeal!

Scott F. :applause:
Are we there yet?
ImageImage
s4son
Donating Member

Postby Arne » Wed Jan 18, 2006 11:17 pm

Since I don't do CAD, I did it on graph paper, 2" per square.... 1' per inch.

It makes it easy to translate to plywood... a few nails and some thin wood strips and a pencil to get the curve...

I also did a back view for layout of microwave, a/c, storage, etc... Not as pretty as CAD, but works very well.
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
I hope I never get too old to play (Arne, Sept 11, 2010)
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby PaulC » Wed Jan 18, 2006 11:23 pm

I voted as doing it by the seat of my pants. Clarification: Cheated off of Larry Sorensens site. Bought a set of plans for an 8x4 and threw them out when they arrived. Changed things- i.e no galley, and built it from the outside in--wrong move. Now, for the next one.................
Cheers
Paul
Time is the only real capital we have. Money you can replace but time you cannot.
PaulC
3rd Teardrop Club

Postby Gage » Thu Jan 19, 2006 12:24 am

The plans I used are shown below. So I guess you could say I planned and designed as I went. And I guess you might also say I built it 'by the set of my pants'. Every thing was in my head. Knew what I wanted it to provide, what I wanted in it and also knew I wasn't going to build another. Life is to short to be building teardrops. :lol:

Have a good day.
8)
Image Image Image
Remember 'Teardrop Time'.......Take your time, you don't have to have it finished NOW.
Gage
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby bledsoe3 » Thu Jan 19, 2006 12:35 am

I started with the Generic Benroy plans. They were not complete at the time so I had to go by the seat of Mike's pants. :lol:
If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got.
bledsoe3
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby madjack » Thu Jan 19, 2006 12:36 am

ours was done lottsa style...lottsa pencils, lottsa paper, lottsa imagination, lottsa argument (the argument portion continues) so as I say...it's a lottsa design :D
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby asianflava » Thu Jan 19, 2006 2:01 am

bledsoe3 wrote:I started with the Generic Benroy plans. They were not complete at the time so I had to go by the seat of Mike's pants. :lol:

Eewwwww :lol:

I had the printouts from Andrew's site and a full sized pattern. After that, I am going by the seat of the pants. Learning, designing, building as I go. That includes learning how to use the woodworking tools.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby bledsoe3 » Thu Jan 19, 2006 2:22 am

asianflava wrote: That includes learning how to use the woodworking tools.

Was I suppose to know how to use the tools? :o
bledsoe3
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby Gage » Thu Jan 19, 2006 3:03 am

bledsoe3 wrote:
asianflava wrote: That includes learning how to use the woodworking tools.

Was I suppose to know how to use the tools? :o

I also kept that simple but with a lot more clamps. :lol:

Have a good day.
8)
Image Image Image
Remember 'Teardrop Time'.......Take your time, you don't have to have it finished NOW.
Gage
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby weasel » Thu Jan 19, 2006 6:27 am

When I discoverd this site and the ''Weekender'' I started the research and cost. Trailer was no problem, built one to my specs. A 5x10 rec.tubing, 5.5 pattern w/ 15'' tires spent close to $300. Lenghtin' the body to 10', rather have to big than not big enough. I made a spec and build notebook. Kids complained I'm wearin' out the printer :lol: But that gives me a on hand sheet to go to,plus its easeier to show what i'm buildin' to someone. I used most of Mikes specs,mockup and build pics. Joannes wirin' specs. And added misc. galley,fender,etc. pics to look and study. I keep actual cost down when I spend and total at EOM. Have a close expected budget to work with. If I save at one stage I'll use it somewhere else. Already I've had stainless steel hinges for the hatch and door donated so now I'm goin' with 2 doors. :thumbsup: This is beginin' to be fun :lol:
weasel
Donating Member

Postby Joanne » Thu Jan 19, 2006 9:12 am

I bought a set of Kuffle Creek plans to understand trailer construction techniques. Since no one sells a set of GrassHopper plans (that I know of) I made some drawings and started building. The rest is history. Well, that and bandaids... :lol:

It's amazing what you can do when you don't know you can't!

Joanne
New! My Camp Cooking Forum

Project Desert Dawg website

Universal Health Care
Health care with the efficiency of the Department of Motor Vehicles
and the compassion of the Internal Revenue Service.
Joanne
Queen of Cast Iron

Postby JunkMan » Thu Jan 19, 2006 1:53 pm

I decided on a shape I liked (cub/modernistic), and using information on how to draw ellipses from Andrew's site, I drew a couple of profiles until I found one I liked, and I thought would work.

I transferred that shape to a full sized cardboard mock-up, and it looked like it would work, so I made a wood pattern out of a piece of MDF board, and started designing the rest directly on the pattern.

I realised real quick that I couldn't make it fit with a 4'x8' sidewall, so started all over on a 4' x 10' sheet of particle board. Been designing as I go, and other than my notes and marks on the pattern, I really don't have a plan.
Jeff & Odie
Black Hills of South Dakota
JunkMan
500 Club

Postby doug hodder » Fri Jan 20, 2006 2:55 am

I had a 49 Kit in 1979 or 80....knew what I didn't like about it and what I did...bought the Kuffel Creek plans and used parts of them and just winged it on the rest...I was happy with the results....however...am building another....learned a lot from my first build...now I'm going to put one together that I am really happy with... 8) doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby bledsoe3 » Fri Jan 20, 2006 4:32 am

doug hodder wrote:I had a 49 Kit in 1979 or 80....knew what I didn't like about it and what I did...bought the Kuffel Creek plans and used parts of them and just winged it on the rest...I was happy with the results....however...am building another....learned a lot from my first build...now I'm going to put one together that I am really happy with... 8) doug

Are you selling the first one? :shock:
bledsoe3
3000 Club
3000 Club

Next

Return to User Polls