Aerodynamic trailer plans

Member designs created in Sketchup or other cad program

Re: Aerodynamic trailer plans

Postby Andrew Herrick » Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:29 am

timm wrote:Nope, they are one and the same! The ultra-aerodynamic 3D model is the blue lines in that comparison.

Here's an animation of the top lifting up.

:shock: :thumbsup:
A few of my builds:

ImageImageImageImage

SEE MORE AT: boondockcampers.com
Andrew Herrick
The 300 Club

Postby jimbo69ny » Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:43 pm

My head is spinning after spending all day trying to use Sketchup. UGH! It drove me crazy.

After many hours this is the best I can show you.

I have tweaked my measurements a bit but this were my original sketches.

If anyone is fluent in Sketch up and wants to fix my mess let me know and I will send you the file.
jimbo69ny
Teardrop Master

Postby Xanthoman » Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:29 am

I also struggle with SketchUp as I learned parametric CAD (Solidworks) as my first CAD system. I really enjoy OnShape. It’s free and it’s nice that it’s all cloud based so you can work from anywhere with internet. And it functions like other parametric systems which is nice for me. I could build that design in about fifteen minutes in OnShape if you wanted.
Xanthoman
Teardrop Advisor

Postby popper » Mon Sep 13, 2021 5:41 pm

The tail design looks good, I like this idea a lot. The change I would do for a rear door is pivot the top/sides of the boat tail section up and maybe have the bottom section fold down as a ramp below the "umbrella shade" the upper 3/4 would provide. But I could see the side pivot being better for a rear galley design. Also I would look at some aero links before finalizing those angles for the tail, a few degrees can make a big difference to the air.
popper
Teardrop Advisor

Postby popper » Mon Sep 13, 2021 5:44 pm

Is this thread related to the t-rex on youtube!? Man that thing is so good. Sorry about bumping the old thread, I am newbs here, its like a maze of sub categories here.

I have always heard quoted 9-12 degrees was the ideal for a boat tail angle. To try to prevent flow separation.
popper
Teardrop Advisor

Previous

Return to Sketch up designs