What you think?

Member designs created in Sketchup or other cad program

What you think?

Postby 30dayreviews » Mon Jan 18, 2021 4:20 pm

Hey all. So here is my plans Ill be modifying Tony Lathems a tad but walls and roof are the same. had to learn sketchup from scratch. Think I have it all figured out except for the back gally door.
with a great mustache comes great responsibility
30dayreviews
Teardrop Builder

Re: What you think?

Postby Socal Tom » Mon Jan 18, 2021 5:43 pm

What are the dimensions?
My build originally had a TV in that spot as well. The TV is long gone, and now I hang an IPAD from that location when we want to watch a movie. Make a list of all the stuff you plan to bring with you, and then decide where it is going to go. Work out where you plan on charging your phone ( if you are like me you need it in reach so you can check on the time in the middle of the night). Where will your flashlight go for those night time trips to the bushes? Its not possible to plan for everything, but the exercise is helpful. After 9 years ( wow time has flown by), I don't bring as much as I used to. I try not to bring things that rarely ( or never) get used. The TV was one of the 1st things to go. With small spaces, it helps to think about where it will all go.
Tom
Socal Tom
Donating Member

Postby lfhoward » Mon Jan 18, 2021 5:44 pm

That’s a good looking design!

Here is a resource I found that will help you get the weight balance and axle placement right.
https://www.engineersedge.com/calculators/trailer-weight-balance.htm

The key is to have 60% of your weight forward of the axle when loaded (galleys can be heavy). Also, 12-15% of the weight should be tongue weight to eliminate sway when towing.
My off-road camper build on an M116A3 military chassis:
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=62581
Tow vehicle: 2008 Jeep Liberty with a 4 inch lift.
lfhoward
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Pmullen503 » Mon Jan 18, 2021 6:32 pm

Rethink the barn door at the galley. It places a lot of stress on the back edge and it like a sail on a windy day. A hatch hinged at the top will be less suseptible to wind and provide shade and some shelter from rain.
Pmullen503
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby 30dayreviews » Tue Jan 19, 2021 12:11 am

Socal Tom wrote:What are the dimensions?
My build originally had a TV in that spot as well. The TV is long gone, and now I hang an IPAD from that location when we want to watch a movie. Make a list of all the stuff you plan to bring with you, and then decide where it is going to go. Work out where you plan on charging your phone ( if you are like me you need it in reach so you can check on the time in the middle of the night). Where will your flashlight go for those night time trips to the bushes? Its not possible to plan for everything, but the exercise is helpful. After 9 years ( wow time has flown by), I don't bring as much as I used to. I try not to bring things that rarely ( or never) get used. The TV was one of the 1st things to go. With small spaces, it helps to think about where it will all go.
Tom

Its 5x10x4high.
30dayreviews
Teardrop Builder

Postby 30dayreviews » Tue Jan 19, 2021 12:14 am

lfhoward wrote:That’s a good looking design!

Here is a resource I found that will help you get the weight balance and axle placement right.
https://www.engineersedge.com/calculators/trailer-weight-balance.htm

The key is to have 60% of your weight forward of the axle when loaded (galleys can be heavy). Also, 12-15% of the weight should be tongue weight to eliminate sway when towing.

There will be a toolbox on the front with batteries so that should make up a lot of the weight upfront. the placement on the trailer currently is 60/40 so I should be good as it's a 10-foot trailer.
30dayreviews
Teardrop Builder

Postby 30dayreviews » Tue Jan 19, 2021 12:22 am

Socal Tom wrote:What are the dimensions?
Tom

the trailer is 10l x 5w x 4 high. so there should be room for the 19" tv. if not ill put a laptop mount up there. lots of good things to think about. the reason for the tv is that it will be acting as a hotel room for me while visiting family and not just for a trip to the lake. thanks for the ideas of things to think about.
30dayreviews
Teardrop Builder

Postby 30dayreviews » Tue Jan 19, 2021 12:27 am

Pmullen503 wrote:Rethink the barn door at the galley. It places a lot of stress on the back edge and it like a sail on a windy day. A hatch hinged at the top will be less susceptible to wind and provide shade and some shelter from the rain.

Yea the reason why I'm not going with a hatch style is due to the fact I will be having my canoes up top for easy access and where the height comes to I would hit my head on it when closer to the rear. I am thinking about the possibility of barn doors however at the moment I'm planing on just the single. I am thinking of putting a latch system on the end that will go down to the ground to hold it in place as well as remove the weight off of it. I do have a question about it posted as well.
30dayreviews
Teardrop Builder

Postby rjgimp » Tue Jan 19, 2021 2:28 am

30dayreviews wrote:
Pmullen503 wrote:Rethink the barn door at the galley. It places a lot of stress on the back edge and it like a sail on a windy day. A hatch hinged at the top will be less susceptible to wind and provide shade and some shelter from the rain.

Yea the reason why I'm not going with a hatch style is due to the fact I will be having my canoes up top for easy access and where the height comes to I would hit my head on it when closer to the rear. I am thinking about the possibility of barn doors however at the moment I'm planing on just the single. I am thinking of putting a latch system on the end that will go down to the ground to hold it in place as well as remove the weight off of it. I do have a question about it posted as well.

If you do go with swing doors I suggest one half at each side to reduce problems with too much weight hanging off a set of hinges. You asked in another thread about sealing. Look at how cargo trailers with such doors are constructed, or even take a gander at a semi trailer. Specifically look at a refrigerated trailer. If hauling groceries they are required to have a seal that is food safe. That would certainly keep your galley clean and dry. :thumbsup:
-Rob

I hope to make it to a Procrastinators Anonymous meeting someday...
just as soon as the steering committee gets around to scheduling one!
rjgimp
500 Club

Postby iggy3860 » Tue Jan 19, 2021 2:31 am

30dayreviews wrote:

The canoes on top does pose an issue. Have you considered a double barn door style similar to semi-trailers [Aussie description :D ]? That could address the canoe storage issue & help reduce possible back edge loads.
Iggy
[Ian McLaren]
iggy3860
Teardrop Inspector

Postby rjgimp » Tue Jan 19, 2021 2:38 am

iggy3860 wrote:
30dayreviews wrote:

The canoes on top does pose an issue. Have you considered a double barn door style similar to semi-trailers [Aussie description :D ]? That could address the canoe storage issue & help reduce possible back edge loads.

:lol: We just about posted on top of each other! Great minds think alike... eh, mate?
-Rob

I hope to make it to a Procrastinators Anonymous meeting someday...
just as soon as the steering committee gets around to scheduling one!
rjgimp
500 Club

Postby twisted lines » Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:21 am

10’ 6” or 11’ will make it a lot easier to get the headboard, galley, and Queen size bed all inside :NC
Racking up; And Rapin foam
twisted lines
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Pmullen503 » Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:16 am

Here's my rig: Image

Very similar to yours, it was designed as a toy hauler so the galley is in the front. A couple of observations: The boats don't stay on the trailer for long. The way I've used mine is that the trailer gets parked at the camp site, the boat(s) are transferred to the TV to take them to the lake or river. I only carry boats on the trailer when I am ferrying several boats. In fact, I removed the roof racks a few years ago to repaint and haven't put them back on. I plan to convert mine from a side opening to top opening door. With a top opening door you can throw a tarp over it to make a quick shelter when you want to cook something and it's raining. I had to use special 270 degree hinges so I could swing the door all the way to the side to tie it down. It doesn't take much wind to make it swing around.
Pmullen503
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby 30dayreviews » Tue Jan 19, 2021 12:00 pm

rjgimp wrote:
30dayreviews wrote:

If you do go with swing doors I suggest one half at each side to reduce problems with too much weight hanging off a set of hinges. You asked in another thread about sealing. Look at how cargo trailers with such doors are constructed, or even take a gander at a semi trailer. Specifically look at a refrigerated trailer. If hauling groceries they are required to have a seal that is food safe. That would certainly keep your galley clean and dry. :thumbsup:

unfortunately, I'm not one that can just look at something and make it happen without having panic attacks every 3 minutes so I'm trying to find instructions for either or type of doors. as-is if I go with half doors the pull-out will then go past the end of the door but I guess that's not really a big issue.
30dayreviews
Teardrop Builder

Postby 30dayreviews » Tue Jan 19, 2021 12:01 pm

iggy3860 wrote:
30dayreviews wrote:

yes iv thought about that as an option.
30dayreviews
Teardrop Builder

Next

Return to Sketch up designs